Confused in giving IELTS !!

Metalspree

Skilled
Hi folks i am planning to give IELTS next week,its the academic paper which i am gonna give .I am confused about where to give it:S. I do know that its jointly conducted y IDP Australia and British council,but issue is that i heard from different sources that if one gives it in IDP its gonna be easy as compared to the British council.I was told by a couple of friends to give it in IDP as they are more concentrated only on Australia where as the British council is for UK.I have searched over the internet and came to know that it doesnt make any difference where u give it.I got the application from from both of them(IELTS and British Council) and i am in a dilemma where to give it:huh: .I am running out of time as i have to book the date tomorrow at any cost.Please help me out.Btb i am planning for MBA in Australia.

TIA

dude, idp and british council are both agents for Ielts. The exams is actually conducted by a conducted by a company called Planet Edu (Gurgaon based and sole conductor of the exam in India and a couple of other south asian countries.) and is actually licensed for cambridge or oxford university.

And hence no matter where you apply from its the same paper you would be giving. And admissions would have no relations to whom you apply thru.

My advice apply thru Planet Edu directly (they often help by providing a few prep classes although in ur case you might be late).

Hi amityrock Planet EDU is a Test Centre for IDP Australia to administer and manage the IELTS test in India and Nepal. Its not a company which conducts IELTS.IELTS is the international English Language System, that is jointly owned by The British Council, IDP:IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge.

I booked thru British Council as IDP was full , got my conformation letter and Hall ticket today.British Council was also full ,but got hold of the South India IELTS marketing manager and got it done in 1 day.

Piece of info to all ,book ur test date at least 20 days prior.

n00b query: Either of IELTS or TOEFL scores would do with the GRE score for pursuing MS abroad?

@Saiyan: What's the score like? :p

Gannu said:
n00b query: Either of IELTS or TOEFL scores would do with the GRE score for pursuing MS abroad?

Yes it will do ,incase one wants to pursue their MS in UK,New Zealand or Australia.In these countries universities do not even need GRE only IELTS will do.

Gannu said:
@Saiyan: What's the score like? :p

IELTS score's are declared only after 2 weeks.

The easiest way to crack these English tests is to read read read and read. Reading is the best way to pick up grammar rather than just mugging the grammatical rules etc.

As for listening, try pod casting or audio books. The best way to improve your listening skills.

For speaking, I think it all depends on whether you have people around you who can talk to you exclusively in English (which was not the case for me - and the reason for my flunking the TOEFL iBT speaking section). If yes, start speaking...the best method is to just do it.

Finally, for writing, I always advice people to take a news paper and find any article, then write about it. You can have your instructor or teacher evaluate what you wrote and give feedback.

The best time to start for TOEFL is around 2-3 months for writing and listening. For the rest of the sections, the sooner the better.

As for GRE, I think 3 months should be enough depending on your retention and grasping capabilities.

Hope that helps.

Kumar said:
The best time to start for TOEFL is around 2-3 months for writing and listening. For the rest of the sections, the sooner the better.

Hope that helps.

3 months for toefl :S. One has to be from the interior parts of tanzania to need so much time to prep for toefl.

I spent a couple of hours with the cd that came and got bored. At that time it was out of 300 and with essentially no preps I managed 300. Some of my classmates didn't study at all and landed up at the prometric test center. Many of them got 300 as well. It isn't a hard exam at all.

This was in 2002/2003. I'm not sure how much the pattern changed now. Is it any different/harder?

Chaos said:
3 months for toefl :S. One has to be from the interior parts of tanzania to need so much time to prep for toefl.

I spent a couple of hours with the cd that came and got bored. At that time it was out of 300 and with essentially no preps I managed 300. Some of my classmates didn't study at all and landed up at the prometric test center. Many of them got 300 as well. It isn't a hard exam at all.

This was in 2002/2003. I'm not sure how much the pattern changed now. Is it any different/harder?

Nope.. No changes at all. still the same with the new internet based format :bleh:

Chaos said:

I believe there was no 'Speaking' then! :p
That's the only new addition I can think of...

I know 3 months is really long....I only prepared for 1 day :p

3 months was for the complete GRE+TOEFL prep time...my bad I did not put it clearly.

Back