Confusion: Convection Microwave Vs OTG + solo

Hi All,
We went to purchase Microwave but after seeing so many models what i have found was
1. SOLO model only for re-heating available for 2K

2. Grill model available from 4K onwards (tikkas can be prepared but not cakes as i have heard from sales person)

3. Convection ..looks like a heater + fan (looks like grill heater is inside some cavity and hot air is blown from a fan) why the hell its costing 8K upwards :mad: does that fan cost 3K

I was looking for roasting function where the shaft in the center slowly rotates. Its available in samsung for 15K. Confusion at its best first time for me before doing any market research and buying electronic items. Later my eyes fall onto Koryo OTG for 1.8K Asked abt the features what it can do with the pricey sammy with this one. I got to know both functions same :S Why people go for convection model if the same can be attained in sub 2K toaster? The only advantage you can use is microwave + grill and microwave + convection so the cooking may be faster but you can't use metal inside.

I have thought more intelligently or more foolishly :) I went ahead and purchased OTG for preparing tikkas, cakes, pizzas. Is that a right decision to have solo + OTG to compete convection Microwave oven as i have zero knowledge in this area. Also i can save 8k if i go in this route.

Please clarify.

well i to have a OTG and a solo,since i already had a OTG i went for a solo microwave oven.
i think convection types are just too expensive for what it offers.with convection u get a even distribution of heat due to the fan,but with OTG u do get decent results.
so i would say just get a solo,since u already have a OTG.

It is definitely an advantage to have separate OTG and Solo. I have a combi (micro+grill+convec) but that is because, we ppl in Mumbai are conditioned to save space.

The combination is convenient in certain situations but the separates is convenient in many more and is also much cheaper. BTW, it is possible to do some kinds of cooking in a microwave and nor just re-heating. Even baking of certain kinds of cake is quick and efficient in a microwave.

vijaycool specially looking at making cakes and like items its always beneficial to have SOLO + OTG combination.

Microwave can cook cakes but the receipe and method differs a little, but while eating the taste difffers so much.

I have a microwave LG basic model at home and wife is craving for an OTG for long looks like we will have to go for it sooner or later :D.

What ever you do..stay away from koryo brand. Simply not worth the penny.

Now comint to the confusion, convention microwaves are not known to have given very good results for baking stuffs (cakes, cookies).

So if you have enough space on kitchen counter, go for solo microwave +otg.

Otherwise, just go for solo microwave.

I have no feedback abt the grill feature, but if you buy otg, it can do all that as well.

Brands: IFB, Samsung, LG are good.

Regards,

Mohit

Thanks all for your valuable solution. After the initial enthu gets over the microwave is used only for re-heating purpose only.
I know koryo is not that great stuff. who cares unless it breaks down. But when i go to any electronic store and ask for otg they are trying to push me convection MW and the price is beyond justification. Today I prepared pizza 10 mins in top most rack(grill) and another 5 mins with all four coils. It tastes really good. I also tried my favourite okra fry. This time its baked crispy okra really need to cut some fat now.

How about onida microwave with grill. It cost around 3.2K i believe

Prepared paneer tikkas yesterday. It was delicious but if i leave it for sometime (browning effect) the paneer becomes dry. It removes all the water contents due to the low heat capability. It needs 400C but the max temp in the oven is 250C . Can somebody suggest high temp oven so i can dispose this and buy in future.

Back