PC Peripherals Connecting 2 broadband router for easy CCTV lan viewing and internet sharing?

Edge router as all Ubiquity products is on the costlier side, but has great build quality. Suggest to go for this if you have all Ubiquity equipment. Otherwise it is cheaper to buy a (gigabit) 10/100/1000 router which supports openwrt, or TP-Link Omada if you dont care to tinker with the OpenWRT. As the name suggests the **edge** router protects the perimiter of you network and access from internet and is installed facing the ISP. To best of my knowdlege this device does not have the desired load-balancing function. https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeRouter_Lite_DS.pdf which you need. Try to plan your network on paper with a diagram and including or (re)using existing gear and hardware as far as possible to avoid buying unnecessary gear. This device supports VPN and thus allows you to securely connect to edge router and internal network from the internet (provided u have static public ip) but it does not allow you to bundle two seperate internet connections for high-availablity and fail-over (redundant) internet connections.

Last edited:
Edge router as all Ubiquity products is on the costlier side, but has great build quality. Suggest to go for this if you have all Ubiquity equipment. Otherwise it is cheaper to buy a (gigabit) 10/100/1000 router which supports openwrt, or TP-Link Omada if you dont care to tinker with the OpenWRT. As the name suggests the **edge** router protects the perimiter of you network and access from internet and is installed facing the ISP. To best of my knowdlege this device does not have the desired load-balancing function. https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeRouter_Lite_DS.pdf which you need. Try to plan your network on paper with a diagram and including or (re)using existing gear and hardware as far as possible to avoid buying unnecessary gear. This device supports VPN and thus allows you to securely connect to edge router and internal network from the internet (provided u have static public ip) but it does not allow you to bundle two seperate internet connections for high-availablity and fail-over (redundant) internet connections.
Thanks a million..

Will look into Omada.. Its been years i wanted to try OpenWRT.. :D

Thanks a million..

I switched from edgerouter to Omada.
Prefer the latter .. ER allows for additional features and offers a CLI as well to tweak and adjust to your heart's content
However for regular home usage load balancing, Omada simply works better

Thanks a million..

Do remember the omada devices can also run independently and **without** the Omada Controller. The Omada controller is useful when we have many (more than one) Omada device and allows central management of all connected and supported Omada devices. The Omada controller is available as a hardware device as well as a **software** based controller which runs on linux.

I suggest make a list of a physical hardware that you have and then go about making a logical diagram of how you want to connect everything together...

Wiring would be minimised with the Omada loadbalancer if you had both the internet connections coming in at the same place (in the office) and directly into the loadbalancer. That way the office would have its own internet connection with fail-over using the Omada device and you could simple tree of the office network/internet using your existing (home) Orbi using a single wire to connect between office and home.

Also if you are already invested in an always-on office server (for file server) you can load an hypversior like proxmox and run software based router like pfsense which can easily do your loadbalancing (This would make the omada device unnecessary.) .You can do this provided the server has a decent CPU and a (4-port intel NIC is best). You could run (pfsense + xpenelogy + omada controller) for firewall + NAS + Software Defined Network (SDN) functionality using that single machine. This is cheapest, not most redundant.

Last edited:

This project has finally been completed.. Thanks to @gwrench2000

It was a month or so before he sent a private message regarding this .. This led to direct communication with @gwrench2000 . I was able to give a detailed list of network details through https://app.creately.com , This website helped me to visualize my network for first time. @gwrench2000 was able to provide me indepth details on how to configure my entire network .
He suggested to get TP LINK ER605 - Omada Gigabit VPN Router .
I bought it and it was lying around for almost a month i guess. :)
Two days before i had to make it happen, since my brother is coming and have to get the network setup and ready.
Installed it and was configuring as he said. He made the entire setup so EASY...
I will tell you all one more time .. HIS DETAILED PLAN WAS SOOO EASY !!!
He also guided me over whatsapp prior to this .. He used to post lengthy message going into details on how to connect and which one to configure first. All this over WHATSAPP !!!
This only shows how knowledgeable and confident he is. Thanks again.

My entire network was setup including CCTV- DVR

Now, no more i am watching my CCTV which is hardly few floors down through "Internet". Now i can access it over my LAN!!
Not only that , i can now access my office server from home !! But none on my office side can connect to my home network :D :D
With NAS online , Its only going to get better.

Entire network now feels elated.. So much control and ease to work.

Not only that , @gwrench2000 has been a tremendous teacher for me. I learnt a lot. Even his recent message where he said not to be afraid of VLAN .. , yes sir , will soon experiment with it :D

Thanks alot sir @gwrench2000 . Sir , wish there was way to give feedback apart from deals.. :)

Back