PC Peripherals Connecting 2 broadband router for easy CCTV lan viewing and internet sharing?

superczar

Veteran
Mar 17, 2005
i have already connected two ext hdd to it , but since i download with my laptop , each time i have to copy to hdd and plug into my android box , if i could use my network to access my ext hdd`s (6) it would be easy for me.

I did see pi NAS , but it too has limited USB.

i need a usb hub connected to router which can push files at gigabit speed .. any router which can support a for eg a 8 port usb 3.0 hub(powered) ?
I presume this stems from your ask in the other thread.

1) Easiest thing to do - just share the folder in windows

Any media player on your streaming device (e.g. Kodi or VLC) should be able to view the folder as a Samba share and play back directly from there

2) If you are Ok spending 3-3.5K, get a RPi - i think the latest one is Gbe, if not there are other cheap SFF boards with Gbe ports, stick it in a corner along with the USB drives . (In any case, your USB would be speed limited + your network is non Gbe)
Load a non GUI linux variant, Install whatever downloading apps you want and set it up as a Samba or NFS server
Next time you wan to d/l anything, just use your phone or laptop to add it on to the Rpi
When you want to play it back, just open the shared folder on your phone or laptop or TV

I think I wrote a guide on TE on running a headless server almost 12-13 years ago :p
That I am sure would be hugely dated but you should be able to find plenty of current guides on running a headless llinux server on a Rpi

Load Balancing
Cheapest option is a TP-Link multi-wan router which is typically about 3-3.5K
Else a Mikrotik router with GBe for 5-6K

Load Balancing + NAS in one
Setup a hypervisor on a PC if you have something you can use as a dedicated flexible server. You will however need at least 2 extra NIC cards
Loadup your preferred Router distribution on it (most prefer pfsense, I personnaly like untangle - although it's paid) as a VM
Loadup another VM running Linux as your NAS / downloader etc

Add more VMs as your requirements grow

Last edited:
Reactions: Naveen_Reloaded

Naveen_Reloaded

Disciple
Apr 27, 2009
www.urssiva.com
I presume this stems from your ask in the other thread.

1) Easiest thing to do - just share the folder in windows

Any media player on your streaming device (e.g. Kodi or VLC) should be able to view the folder as a Samba share and play back directly from there

2) If you are Ok spending 3-3.5K, get a RPi - i think the latest one is Gbe, if not there are other cheap SFF boards with Gbe ports, stick it in a corner along with the USB drives . (In any case, your USB would be speed limited + your network is non Gbe)
Load a non GUI linux variant, Install whatever downloading apps you want and set it up as a Samba or NFS server
Next time you wan to d/l anything, just use your phone or laptop to add it on to the Rpi
When you want to play it back, just open the shared folder on your phone or laptop or TV

I think I wrote a guide on TE on running a headless server almost 12-13 years ago :p
That I am sure would be hugely dated but you should be able to find plenty of current guides on running a headless llinux server on a Rpi

Load Balancing
Cheapest option is a TP-Link multi-wan router which is typically about 3-3.5K
Else a Mikrotik router with GBe for 5-6K

Load Balancing + NAS in one
Setup a hypervisor on a PC if you have something you can use as a dedicated flexible server. You will however need at least 2 extra NIC cards
Loadup your preferred Router distribution on it (most prefer pfsense, I personnaly like untangle - although it's paid) as a VM
Loadup another VM running Linux as your NAS / downloader etc

Add more VMs as your requirements grow

WOW..!!

i was just about to start a thread asking how to make a gigabit enabled home + office network..

I think you gave me loads of idea..

give me some time , i will give a pictorial of my setup and suggest me the best way to go forward
Post automatically merged:

Here is a outline of my current and planned network..

I want make them gigabit network , to future proof.

How to move forward ?

Last edited:

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
very true.

so i can build a small form factor CPU and rip apart the ext hdd and take the 3.5 hdd and connect them to the CPU ?> is that what you are suggesting ?
I thought you had 6 3.5" desktop hdd's.
no need to rip apart anything. you can connect the external hdd's to the small form factor pc via usb3 ports and share stuff off it. Most mobo's have support for 8 usb ports from past 5-6 years. if two ports are taken up by mouse and keyboard, you still have 6 ports and you can easily add a 4 port usb 3 hub to get 4 additional usb 3 ports.

Naveen_Reloaded

Disciple
Apr 27, 2009
www.urssiva.com
I thought you had 6 3.5" desktop hdd's.
no need to rip apart anything. you can connect the external hdd's to the small form factor pc via usb3 ports and share stuff off it. Most mobo's have support for 8 usb ports from past 5-6 years. if two ports are taken up by mouse and keyboard, you still have 6 ports and you can easily add a 4 port usb 3 hub to get 4 additional usb 3 ports.
i have now 8 USB ext HDD ..

Is there any theoritical or max safe ext usb hdd can be supported ?

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
Is there any theoritical or max safe ext usb hdd can be supported ?
I think there is. WHat that number is I don't know. All usb hdd's (if not powered by an adapter) will take power from usb port which have shared bandwidth and power supply. If you keep on putting extra hdd's, some of them will go offline or not get seen by the computer and you will have difficulty with files and folders not getting shared properly. You should only attach the disks you need currently instead of attaching all of them to be safe.

I have a mix and match of 2.5 and 3.5 hdd's and totalling around 15 drives. I don't connect all of them to my NUC. Just 1-3 at max. Now it's just a single 4T WD portable hdd on which i dump what i want to see from other hdd's. Saves on power bill and space and keeping 3-4 hdd's powered on always for no reason.

superczar

Veteran
Mar 17, 2005
WOW..!!

i was just about to start a thread asking how to make a gigabit enabled home + office network..

I think you gave me loads of idea..

give me some time , i will give a pictorial of my setup and suggest me the best way to go forward
Post automatically merged:

Here is a outline of my current and planned network..

I want make them gigabit network , to future proof.

How to move forward ?
I am unable to decipher your sketch clearly so would probably help if you could explain it with some text
From what I can gather , you have 2 DSL connections and you want to keep 2 separate networks in a way that (1) your bandwidth is aggregated along with failover and (2) network A is accessible from B but not vice Versa (which is your question 1)

And on network B, you want to have the ability to have all of your media files stored on multiple HDDs accessible from a central server (question 2)
Is that about right?