Console to rekindle gaming!

Neo-N

Skilled
I am a retired gamer looking to rekindle gaming! :p

I use a basic laptop for all computing needs - So a PC is out of the question.

Was thinking of buying a (used?) PS3/PS4 in order to re-start gaming as I do not want to build a gaming PC. Usage would be about 2-3 hours each weekend.

Do you guys think it's a good idea? I am keen on a used one as I am afraid I might re-retire from gaming again!! Plus, a used console might come bundled with some games. :)

Everyone at home is fine with it but their only concern is the same as mine - It shouldn't sit eating dust!

Please let me know what you think!! Thanks!!

I am also a retired gamer who has come out of retirement but I went the PC way :p

Having said that, I think you should go with a used PS4 for all the reasons you have mentioned. PC used to be the best option when we were younger, but now I would really prefer the ease of sitting on the couch and gaming wirelessly on my TV after a hectic day at office. :)

I guess I have news for you guys then. Consoles are no longer pop in and play like they were in the PS2 era. Things changed post that and now it's worse.

Games these days need patches in GBs and you have to install most of them as well. Worse thing is day 1 patches.

With consoles what you don't have to worry about is compatibility but who knows how things might change down the line when Pro and Scorpio come into the whole picture and not as new entrants.

Apart from what I have stated so far - PS4 is a good option considering the exclusives and once the games are installed and patched they will perform well. I would suggest waiting for Pro to release in India and get the pro or the regular PS4 at a much lesser price.

PS4 would be my suggestion as well. I have been a PC gamer for life. Went away from the gaming scene for quite some years. Then got a PS3 just to try out the exclusives and the ease of play is worth it. Now I'm a regular weekend gamer, have a mid range PC and just now got a PS4. Now I decide which I want to play on PC and which ones on PS4. Although PC games come out quite cheap on steam, I buy used games off OLX sharing the cost with my cousin so it does not turn out very costly.

How is PS2 these days?

It is exactly as great as it was a decade back when it was replaced. A fantastic console with an amazing library. That said I would not exactly recommend it as finding original games for it is hard. That means you would think of acquiring the games the other way and in that direction you are on your own.

PS2 consoles are getting rare now a days and original games for it are rare. The games on ebay etc say 'for unlocked console' which means they are pirated and you need a modded console to play them. Then there is the HDD way in which they mod it to load games from the HDD. What they don't tell you is that PS2 had USB 1.1 and the load times are bad or cut-scenes that played directly of the disc (basically all of them) stutter. This rules out some of the gems on the platform like Final Fantasy 12 which rely a lot on such cut-scenes and the transition between the gameplay and cut-scenes are not as seamless as it is on the actual console.

If you try to buy them now finding a sealed console is difficult and most of the consoles you will find are modded. Emulation of the console has also improved a lot and most games are compatible.

So there are options available wrt ps2 and it's library is great.

The big question - what genre/type games do you plan to play ? Or which games you played ?
Generally 'retired/older' gamers tend to like different games that maynot require a PC's raw power.

The big question - what genre/type games do you plan to play ? Or which games you played ?
Generally 'retired/older' gamers tend to like different games that maynot require a PC's raw power.

^ NFS, COD, GT, GTA, CS - Basically FPS and Racing sims.

I am still waiting for a few days to check if this is just a short term gaming urge that will pass away!! But if not, seems like a used PS3/PS4 is the popular verdict. :)

You could also look to getting a Shield imported from US - not available with the Pro though. Amazon will do the needful for you. This is for Android.

Alternatively, if you want to try Windows games on the big screen, you can look at the Steam Link controller. I am getting one by next week, you can take it out for a spin.

You could also look to getting a Shield imported from US - not available with the Pro though. Amazon will do the needful for you. This is for Android.

Alternatively, if you want to try Windows games on the big screen, you can look at the Steam Link controller. I am getting one by next week, you can take it out for a spin.

I don't see the controller listed on the Indian Steam site. Where are you sourcing it from?

Back