Android Convert wifi MiPad into sim compatible

I want to make use of my MiPad when I travel and at places where they dont have Broadband internet. Have any of you guys tried this successfully?
Can I use an OTG cable and hook up a Tata Docomo USB dongle or somethiong like that?

@raptor3624

I use Huawei E8231 and Mi 5200 mAh Power Bank (To power the device) to get 3G everywhere in my Wi-Fi only iPad / Laptop / Even my mobile phone when on the move and some time desktop pc too when Broadband Down.

There is one with Lower price (Black color) - you can buy it from Amazon during Lightning Deal - But one point to note it need Mini SIM (Normal Size) - If you are in micro or nano you are out of luck. This device can work with any network.

Thanks dissel. Huawei E8231 costs 1.7k. But there are other data cards that are also in 500 bucks or around 1000 bucks. You prefer this model over others for any specific reasons?
Also why would I need a power bank, the mipad battery cannot support this arrangement?[DOUBLEPOST=1449569204][/DOUBLEPOST]Hey thanks. Have you used this on any wifi only tablet?

Bought it long time ago by paying above 2k as there is no other Data Card can act as WiFi Router as well draw power from USB only.

You don't need any powerbank to function - It can draw power from USB of your PC....else it need 1A charger from Wall.

Using power bank give me flexibility not to sacrifice my device battery Life as well I can put it in my backpack and get constant Internet connection during move on multiple device - It is like carrying Wi-Fi network of your own and that too hidden. Very good for navigation and online application.

And a 5200 mAh provide more than a Day constant battery backup time.

For 3G need - Go for 8221 which is 14.4 Mbps (I guess) but in India it does not matter.

Even I had bought this E8231 from Amazon for some 1.5k around couple of months back. I bought it specifically to have internet from dongle when primary broadband is down or there is long power cut. I wanted it to work directly from power socket using any USB charger.

You may first need to check OTG support for Mi Pad before buying dongles which require PC/Laptop/Tablet "assistance" to work.

Hi,
I have tata photon max wifi dongle and a Lenovo Tab2 A7-10 (WIFI only)
i connect the dongle to the OTG cable and connect the cable to the tab.
the dongle powers up and i get connected to the internet through wifi.

this is where socket is not available.
when socket is available nearby, i connect the dongle to the usb adapter of the tab itself and plug it in.

in both the cases it performs well.

i am just guessing, if it can work on lenovo, should work on mi.

Hi,
I have tata photon max wifi dongle and a Lenovo Tab2 A7-10 (WIFI only)
i connect the dongle to the OTG cable and connect the cable to the tab.
the dongle powers up and i get connected to the internet through wifi.

this is where socket is not available.
when socket is available nearby, i connect the dongle to the usb adapter of the tab itself and plug it in.

in both the cases it performs well.

i am just guessing, if it can work on lenovo, should work on mi.

absolutely, the power reqd is very minimal.

Get an Airtel 4G WiFi Hotspot for 2.2k. Has its own dedicated and removable internal battery that lasts 5~6 hours of usage and you can use it with a variety of devices and not just the tablet. In fact, it can double up as a USB modem too if you have a computer that doesn't have WiFi. It can work with 2G/3G/4G.

Get a Tp-Link MR3020. You can plug in most dongles(Rs.500 one will work most likely. See compatibility list). It can take the internet from dongle and share it via wi-fi.
If you want it to be portable, you can power the MR3020 using any power bank (the charger has a detachable head).

^^ That Airtel hotspot is a considerably better and flexible option, You can just put a sim and use it as both a wireless hot spot and a USB modem. No need for another USB modem or worry about whether its supported and about how to power it. In fact I had occasion to buy one and chose it over the TP-Link.

The only thing to note is that its locked to Airtel by default, but it can be unlocked to use any sim.

^^ That Airtel hotspot is a considerably better and flexible option, You can just put a sim and use it as both a wireless hot spot and a USB modem. No need for another USB modem or worry about whether its supported and about how to power it. In fact I had occasion to buy one and chose it over the TP-Link.

The only thing to note is that its locked to Airtel by default, but it can be unlocked to use any sim.
If you need to use a CDMA connection like MTS/Tata Photon/BSNL EVDO, what will you do then? (As fas as I know, the Airtel device is GSM only)
A separate router is a much better option as you can plug in any data card. And the Tp Link MR series supports most data cards even if they are not specified in the supported devices list. They keep upgrading the firmware and add support for more devices.

Also you don't have to unlock anything at all. Just plug in a data card and you are set to go.
There is another similar Tp-Link router which has a inbuilt battery. Don't remember the exact model number. But it costs around 2k.

Get an Airtel 4G WiFi Hotspot for 2.2k. Has its own dedicated and removable internal battery that lasts 5~6 hours of usage and you can use it with a variety of devices and not just the tablet. In fact, it can double up as a USB modem too if you have a computer that doesn't have WiFi. It can work with 2G/3G/4G.

Pretty good option IMO, if you don't have any existing dongle to be used, other wise the TP link option with the battery seems to be better. Connecting the dongle to the OTG cable keeps the dongle hanging down and is pretty inconvenient in spite of it being workable.
But the OP needs to check if his city is within Airtel 4G circles, otherwise you are unable to get any 4G plans and i don't think you will be able to use the device for 3G/2G also without a plan. (do correct me if wrong). For e.g., Madhya Pradesh & Chattisgarh still aren't within the airtel 4G circles and you are not able to subscribe to any of their 4G prepaid or postpaid plans.

Back