Cooler master storm trigger review

COOLER MASTER STORM TRIGGER REVIEW [CHERRY MX-BLACK]

b4t6x5.jpg

You know something is up when you get a big-bag in the mail.

2012 is the 20th anniversary for Cooler Master, established in 1992 and since synonymous with quality cabinets and test benches the company has come far from its inception.

Around 2008 Cooler Master collaborated with top gamers and associations to unleash the STORM series of gaming peripherals, since its release the series has garnered a lot of love [and hate] for its military inspired designs aesthetics and naming conventions.

Now in its 4th year of independent functioning under the Cooler Master brand the STORM line-up has been beefed up with a bevy of new peripherals to commemorate the 20th Anniversary and to further widen their ambitions, the centre-piece of which is the Cooler Master STORM TRIGGER; The flagship of CM STORM’s mechanical gaming keyboard line. Let us see if I shall give into the temptation OR whether it will trigger its own downfall.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

161ayiq.jpg

Let the pictures commence!

The TRIGGER comes in a beefy box befitting of its stature as the flagship of a series of gaming peripherals. The box features a small window that beckons you to take a quick visual inspection of the keys, although the keyboard itself sits low in the box that it not possible to get a feel of the keys until the retailer cracks open a sample and lets you take a whack at it. I feel this is a serious downer, I myself realised there is a huge gap in the feel of the different types of mechanical switches [was using a STORM Quickfire Rapid RED till recently]. The review sample I got sports Cherry MX-Black’s and the difference is immense even for a guy like me who doesn’t usually delve into mechanical keyboards [my standard is the Razer Lycosa].

jhejhd.jpg

Snug fit (the wrist-rest is below the keyboard hence not visible in this picture)

2ajqdg1.jpg

That is the bundle and I thought LOGITECH was stingy on this front.

Apart from this niggle the packaging of the keyboard is great [not premium grade] and the keyboard is well protected with plastic sponge placers and supports that suspend the keyboard, its wrist-rest and shall prevent the same getting scratched OR dinged before reaching the final destination. The standard equipment bundle along with the keyboard is –
• Driver disc [not received with review sample]
• Braided 2m long µUSB -->USB cable [gold plated for BLING BLING!]
• Detachable wrist rest [very good matte surface texture]
• Quick-starter guide [from which I copied this]
• Pamphlet exhorting you to visit the product page OR any Cooler Master page [else you will be labelled as an infidel and your eyes shall be put out]
• 64KB Sentinel-X™ onboard memory on the keyboard for storing the macro profiles, though to edit / define macros you need the host system to have the driver

The features highlighted for this keyboard are –
• Fully back-lit [in 3 customisable modes]
• 2x USB 2.0 ports for ease of access for devices like headphones, pen-drives, card-readers et al
• Laser etched keycaps
• Mechanical keyboard available in Cherry MX-Black, Brown and Red, the keys are rated for 50 million keystrokes [I am reviewing only the Black one]

2hreccj.jpg

k3eps.jpg

Recap

344wf1d.jpg

2nrc5v.jpg

Enough about the keyboards bundle and packaging. Down to business.

ERGONOMICS AND BUILD

2ef58x1.jpg

Minus the wrist-rest

The keyboard itself is a solid hunk of two-tone plastic in shades of military black - grey and rubber texturiser, I call this so because Cooler Master’s OEM use this same / similar texture on all devices to impart a velvety feel that I like a lot. Even the wrist-rest which can be easily snapped on / off [no annoying screws] has this texture. Themed on militaristic grounds the Trigger is a good looking keyboard and has a really well thought out, clean layout.

344sa5f.jpg

Wrist-rest on.

24no501.jpg

Snap on, snap off. That, the way to master jujitsu.

The keyboard is built with a premium feel to it; the plastic used for the keys feels solid and is moulded with a concave top to accommodate the convex curvature of the fingertip. Typing on these Cherry-Black switches is a joy and I find them better than the initial dose of Cherry-Red’s I got whilst using the Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid. Each key-cap has been painted black the interior walls [unpainted] betray the actual colour of the same to be somewhere between white and grey, the letters and symbols on the keys have been laser etched. Every switch has an individual LED to it and these are beautiful, not too bright and not too dim which can be tweaked to the following settings –
• Static --> brightest > Mid-bright > least-bright
• Breathing effect [the brightness cycles from dim -->bright and back]
• Gaming mode [only the WASD cluster, the arrow cluster and Macro cluster is highlighted]
The maximum brightness level can be bumped up a further two levels with a 5VDC adapter drawing extra power for this purpose along with fuelling the two USB ports present on the keyboard. This is a separate purchase and is not bundled with the keyboard.

2efkgty.jpg

2zyv1b8.jpg

24gsl1z.jpg

Now you see me.

To me the issues with the keyboard were the macro-specific key column at the outer-left edge of the keyboard kept getting in my way but overtime one shall get used to it; there are a few spaces that thanks to a lack of functionality seem to stick out, case in point STORM logo right above the macro key-column is a blob of a logo that looks good at night but fulfils no practical purpose, this could be the FN key in my opinion and moved to a more appropriate position to facilitate the same.

I am slowly coming to terms why the world is biased towards mechanical keyboards, compared to their membrane brethren the tactile feedback is more pronounced and overall typing / literally any other task, i.e. gaming, button-mashing feel lot more satisfying. All this along with the technological benefit of no lagging OR ghosting sweeten the deal.

Disclaimer: Not mentioned explicitly anywhere (except the product page) the keyboard comes with a standard 2 year nationwide warranty from date of purchase.

2yywgbd.jpg

The keyboard is put together in a facility in Taiwan and is built like a tank.

PLUG & PLAY

The Trigger is good to go as a standard 104-key keyboard with back lighting as soon as you plug it into your RIG, lighting can be adjusted, switched ON / OFF and all the media keys work (FN 1 12 keys + Alt) with majority of the popular audio / visual suites, I used them in conjunction with Windows Media Player 11 / Media Centre and VLC. Apart from these the media keys do not function for programs such as Winamp / Foobar 2000.

I noticed a few issues while working without the drivers installed and running (in the background) such as, the Windows keys would not function, could not use Ctrl + Shift + Esc (task manager combo), Windows fast launch combo for launching applications / programs placed on the taskbar. Only after downloading the latest driver from Cooler Master’s site (145MB), installing and running the same was I able to get the Windows key to function, task manager and fast launch did not work no matter what.

The keyboard NKRO testing was done with the help of AquaKey Test.

2mmgvm1.jpg

Nominally you can use all the modifier keys -->Shift + Alt + Ctrl / Space + 6 alpha-numeric keys in conjunction and they will all be detected.

If you do not want to use the modifier keys, any 6 alpha-numeric can be used in conjunction (I have focussed on WASD cluster as most gamers will hammer those). OR alternately you can use 5 alpha-numeric keys / NUMPAD keys + one Special key such as PR SCR / DEL / HOME / DEL.

P.S. -- I tried to jerry-rig the keyboards USB connector with a PS/2 adaptor but the device was not being detected so I could not test what the NKRO was through the PS/2 port.

I did not use the driver as most of my quick actions are liaised to my LOGITECH G300’s extra buttons. Apart from that I did not enjoy the interface for the driver either and it was a little hard to define macros and liaise to specific keys in my opinion. As of now the driver just allows you create your custom macro and assign it to whichever key you see fit, future revisions might / might-not carry custom profiles for certain games / software.

The keyboard has 64 KB of Sentinel-Xâ„¢ onboard memory which allows the keyboard to remember upto 5 unique profiles, but to modify any of them the drivers need to be present on the system.

Games played while testing the keyboard were --
• The Witcher Enhanced Edition
• Darksiders 2
• TOTAL WAR: SHOGUN 2 Fall of the Samurai
• The Witcher 2 Assassin of Kings Enhanced Edition

FINAL WORDS: TRIGGERING A WAVE OF EUPHORIA

The time I spent with the Cooler Master STORM TRIGGER was really revealing to me in terms of the different switches used in Mechanical keyboards and why people prefer them over membrane type keyboards. Finishing this review on a Lycosa I yearn for the solid keystroke feedback, the kickback as I will define it.

Cooler Master has a solid flagship for their STORM keyboard lineup and if you have the money to spend on such a piece of kit, do not require the Corsair Vengeance K90’s extra MMO trappings the TRIGGER should not look out of place and should be in the running.

FOR
Excellent overall build quality and finish, Mechanical goodness, support for USB drives / headsets (via 2 ports) and good back-light settings.

AGAINST
USB ports cannot drive anything until you purchase the 5 VDC adapter, restrictive driver interface with no optimization for games / software, no bundled goodies (not even a key-cap remover).

Overall for the ~8500/- asking price (stated MSRP ~9599/-) the Cooler Master TRIGGER is expensive no doubt but is worthy of its price tag thanks to the solid build and performance; Cooler Master just need to improve the driver software and improve the bundle both of which are extremely Spartan in nature.

I would like to thank @Coolermaster for arranging the review sample.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your kind words.

Well, you get what you pay for.

As mentioned by cranky it is an inefficient solution and I dunno how many of our members keep a spare local SMPS to dismember.

use it on same working SMPS which powers your CPU also .. !

use it on same working SMPS which powers your CPU also .. !

Okay, but I would rather not disturb the equilibrium of my RIG just to power a thumb-drive of my keyboard.

P.S. -- this was a review sample, I don't even have it with me anymore.

Back