Laptops Core duo -> Core 2 Duo

Pixel

Adept
Hey,
this may sound like a stupid question, but is it possible to swap a core duo with a core 2 duo?
I have a dell inspiron 9400 which has a core duo t2400 - yonah @ 1.83ghz
i945pm mobo.
If this is possible where can I get it done? A friend of mine said dell wont get this done for me.

Cheers,
Ash

Me 2 has a T2400 - yonah @ 1.83ghz in my toshiba A100 :D but according 2 some review (don't remember the links ATM) there ain't much improvement in the mobile C2D, compared 2 the desktop C2D...so, gave up on it, long ago.

Had done some research though & found this shop in Laxmi Industrial Estate; Andheri(w) who was ready 2 get me a T7200 but was not ready 2 buy back my T2400 nor take back the T7200, incase it didn't work. I was suppose 2 follow 4 the cost, but didn't. Can get U his no. on Monday (m outta town, atm).

My cuz has a C2D in his lappy but is refusing 2 let me try till his warranty expires :p n m counting days 2 feb 2008, when it does :lol:

Technically, it is possible if the FSB is the same (still likely, if the generation gap is 1 or 2 i.e. 4m 533 to 667 or 800 FSB) & according 2 toshiba, the ve upgrade options 2 C2D (667 & 800 FSB), on the same mobo (945) but only on purchase n not later...so even I can't now but some1 getting a new laptop, can...so, it should be possible.

Do lemme know if U get ne practical proof.

It should be possible, provided you are able to get a C2D mobile cpu part running @ 667Mhz FSB. Another factor to consider is whether the processor is soldered or mounted on the motherboard - on my MacbookPro it is soldered so it is not possible to swap just the processor alone.

^^Yea only Santa Rosa(socket P) c2d's are 800 FSB. The earlier ones are 667 MHz only. But as u stated, its possible to swap out the processor if its not soldered. Shdnt be much of a problem as most of the processors are not soldered on the board. But you will need a bios update and it will void your warranty.

And as for is it worth it, not really. Unless u want 64 bit i dont think its worth it. Core duo is good enough and the perf diff is hardly 10%(clock for clock)

you can do it yourself...

Just search for the service manual for your model online...access to the CPU in the 9400 is fairly easy...

there isn't much of a performance boost you will get from it though and not worth it IMHO

superczar said:
you can do it yourself...
Just search for the service manual for your model online...access to the CPU in the 9400 is fairly easy...

there isn't much of a performance boost you will get from it though and not worth it IMHO

Yea u can, but where u gonna get the bios from? ;)

Back