Core i7 930 based desktop

unonymouz

Disciple
I'm here again.After troubling members here asking for this and that for 5 years back, I'm here again. ( Yes, I'm selfish :( )

I will NOT overclock. No. I will not. Please suggest hardware that I can rely on, which will perform consistently under high load, and should it conk off, the service should be not impossible to get.

My MAIN purpose right now is 3D.Less time rendering and more time working.I'm working towards accomplishing a demo reel, and need a good system. :( Therefore, speed and performance are vital. Games are secondary.

My house is currently dusty and in a mess, and the air is filled with cat hair. I hope these new systems dont require an excellent environment.My current room temperature maintains itself at an unpleasing 38.Suggest good cooling in terms of CPU fan, cabinet and the general layout of the rig.

I will NOT use CrossFire or SLI.I will go with one powerful Gfx card.
I have decided on the processor. The i7 930.
In order of importance and performance, please suggest

Motherboard
RAM
Graphic Card
PSU
Cabinet
HardDrive
I will be using my old monitor, old keyboard,mouse, speakers, so these are accessories that are not important right now.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but I'm at my wit's end right now after searching the internet for 6 hours for a good motherboard.They have a ton of features that I dont understand or may not be required in the long run! Please take the time to help me. :)

Ahh...the sorcerer. I was praying that you would be the one that I would run into.I completely forgot the budget.

Say, 60K?Max.

And the screen resolution is native at 1024x768 for a 17" CRT.I do not wish to experiment with wide screens or anything else at the moment.

If you think I need an upgraded monitor, I would gladly take that into account.Add 10K more to the budget for that.

Can I use my old WD6400AAKS with this new config without any effect on general performance?I really would try and search myself if you dont want to help me and point me in a sensible direction.

unonymouz said:
Ahh...the sorcerer. I was praying that you would be the one that I would run into.

Oh goodie!! I thought the futureproof bandwagon members would have crapped the thread already :bleh:

unonymouz said:
Say, 60K?Max.

unonymouz said:
And the screen resolution is native at 1024x768 for a 17" CRT.I do not wish to experiment with wide screens or anything else at the moment.

If you think I need an upgraded monitor, I would gladly take that into account.Add 10K more to the budget for that.

In that case, consider a i5 750+ ud2 combo IMO. You save money on the mobo and spend on essentials, you can buy the lcd screen and a decent set of 1333mhz cl7 rams (if you are buying 1600mhz, you will need to bump your bclk*multiplier to 160*20, which is pretty achievable in stock Vcore).

Judging by what you said, I am sure a 20-22inch lcd with 5770 will suffice. You can consider 4890 as well. Since gaming is a secondary use, idle power consumption is something you will need to look at since 4890 and 5770 are good cards.

As for the cat, I would tell you to keep the cat away from the system. No matter which case with how many air filters you have, dust (and air) eventually gets collected. It is far lesser than cases without air filters, but it still does. You're lot better keeping the surroundings cleaner. Consider nzxt gamma as bare minimum but if you need a case with bigger case, pick up nzxt tempest. cm 590/690 is a cliche so I need to say that. But people end up buying more fans then in such case, one is a lot better with nzxt tempest. I am not too sure about tempest evo or its availability, so can't say much.

unonymouz said:
Can I use my old WD6400AAKS with this new config without any effect on general performance?I really would try and search myself if you dont want to help me and point me in a sensible direction.

Yes! Why not? I think AAKS comes in blue as well as black, but in any case its fine.

Motherboard: gigabyte p55m-ud2 (around 6-7k?)

RAM: 2x2GB g skill 1333mhz cl7 (10-10.5k)

Graphic Card: 5770

PSU: vx550 (4.5k)

Cabinet: nzxt gamma (2k) or nzxt tempest (6k)/cm 690 (4.5k)

HardDrive: You have one already, you need more for dumps- the more the merrier.

But if you can squeeze in i7 930 10.5-11k (I am not aware of current pricing scene)+ gigabyte x58-ud5 for 11.5k approx. I think you can pick up an nzxt tempest even with this combo or else cm 690. Get a quote from your dealer, do the math and make a decision accordingly.

The Sorcerer said:
But if you can squeeze in i7 930 10.5-11k (I am not aware of current pricing scene)+ gigabyte x58-ud5 for 11.5k approx.

Heh, you are totally away from the hardware scene, going by the pricing! :bleh:

That's a good 4k discount on both the processor and the motherboard. :p

@OP: Just in case, you haven't purchased the i7 930 yet, you can opt for a Xeon W3520. It has the same price as that of the 930 but overclocking should be fairly easy and being a workstation processor, they undergo stringent QC before they make it into the retail markets.

You can use the 640AAKS (it's a Caviar Blue btw :p) for the OS. You can squeeze a couple of 1TB WD drives for mass storage. As for the LCD, you should probably get a 24incher from Benq/Dell. They retail for about ~12k.

i5 or i7, you might wanna look for one of those newer Gigabyte boards that have a couple of USB 3.0 slots. The price difference isn't as high either.

Thank you for pointing me out in the right direction.I'm going to not go with Gigabyte, and stick with Asus. My current ASUS A8N-e survived cat urine, and still managed to work for two months before the chipset burned out. :) Quite sturdy. I got it repaired, and no problems since.

I hope I'm not wrong by taking Asus now.I dont know about the current scenario, or if Gigabyte, or other companies are better than Asus, in terms of reliability.Over the Gigabyte x58-ud5, I have chosen the Asus P6T SE (which is available in Prime).I will not use more than one GFX, so it really worth the investment??? :( This has been bothering me to no end. I will not overclock, use 5 Gfx cards or any of that crazy stuff.I dont know what I should spend on!

And people, I will NOT overclock!Suggest hardware that you prefer at stock speeds!!!

I have called up Prime again! :p I asked them about the price of the Xeon W3250.

And yes, No monitor.I have decided to use my CRT.I dont want to experiment with wide screen or LCDs right now.I can do that later.

Okay, the Xeon W3520 is at Rs. 16000. And there's another variation of the Asus P6T, called the WS pro, which retails at 19,900.

well if you aren't gonna overclock i suggest you go with the i7 860. it performs the same as an i7 920 but it consumes a lot less power.

its available on the p55 chipset. the only disadvantage is you will have dual channel memory instead of triple channel on the i7.

shame you wont be overclocking. all that untapped power going waste. :no::p

unonymouz said:
Ahhh...I know.But I would rather have my PC running at stock speeds for 10 years than pushing it 20% more and killing it in 3.
Wrong notion, the standards set by Intel and AMD in semiconductor technology is par excellence. Given adequate cooling(a 40$ solution) and not overdoing it, your hardware isn't gonna last any lesser than it otherwise would.

^Dude keep an eye on the budget as well! The fairly expensive Asus board and the Xeon processor would easily set you back in excess of 35k already! You need to squeeze 3e DDR3 sticks, a decent GPU, at least a 550W power supply from a good manufacturer, a display, the enclosure, input devices etc. :p

I say, get the cheaper i5 750 and the P55 combo and a couple of cheaper 2GB DDR3 sticks since you do not wish to overclock.

As for the mainboard, I'd choose Gigabyte over Asus as far as reliability and customer support go. The performance between the 2 are quite similar.

Oh...is that Ganesh?Hahaha...I really asked you a lot of questions last time.

Okay...I'm not buying a Monitor, Speaker, Keyboard, Mouse, other accesories.I dont plan to game at the highest resolutions.I just need high productivity.Less time calculating, and more time working.

I should click "process" and ... BANG I should have the output! Right now, the "BANG" is really like 5 mins for a single 320x240 at lowest settings.

Please, somebody tell me, what should I choose?The i5 which suffers from lack of HTT, or the expensive i7??? I'm deviating towards the i5 now! :S

unonymouz said:
Oh...is that Ganesh?Hahaha...I really asked you a lot of questions last time.
Okay...I'm not buying a Monitor, Speaker, Keyboard, Mouse, other accesories.I dont plan to game at the highest resolutions.I just need high productivity.Less time calculating, and more time working.

I should click "process" and ... BANG I should have the output! Right now, the "BANG" is really like 5 mins for a single 320x240 at lowest settings.

Please, somebody tell me, what should I choose?The i5 which suffers from lack of HTT, or the expensive i7??? I'm deviating towards the i5 now! :S

For the kind of work you are doing, I will suggest the i7, even if its i7 850....HT really helps in the applications you mentioned earlier....

Processor : Intel Core i7 930 - 15k
Motherboard : MSI X58 Pro-E - 11k
RAM : GSkill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - 9.5k
Graphic Card : Sapphire 1GB GDDR5 HD5770 - 9.8k
Cabinet : NZXT Gamma - 2k
PSU : Corsair VX450 - 3.8k
HardDrive : WD Green 1TB - 4.1k (Dump drive)

Total: 55-56k ~

Not much idea about Xeons. But i guess they sell for the same price as the i-7 930 for about 15k.

Go with X58 mobo and i-7/Xeon as they will be getting cheaper 6-cores in the near future. Also HT gives a decent performance boost in heavily threaded apps.

I spoke to Rahul from E-Lounge.

I was absolutely at joy for the prices he offered me.But now I'm a little nervous.

He offered me the Core i7 860 + MSI P55-GD80 combination for 22,350.

I'm a little scared now.Firstly because I really want to go for this.

Secondly because Prime is offering only the i7 860 for 15000.

So, is there something wrong with this?Is the 860 rahul offering a different one (possibly a slower stepping or something???)

Okay...I'm not even trying to bump.
The thing is that I'm going to buy this stuff tomorrow, so a little confirmation or help would go a long way...!

^^ Combo is usually in special price. If he is giving you a proper bill with serial code and if the box has national distri/importer's sticker, just take advantage of the deal. I don't know how good is msi- but there are few people who had problems with MSI as far as board (can't say all models, but usually the most common ones was some odd issue- maybe bios- but the most common-the board gets warm/hot on idle for no reason- again, depending on the model).

Frankly, as a rig, you're a lot better off with gigabyte. IMO its less hassle compared to others and gigabyte RMA experience is excellent so far. There were some who recommended x58-e but when they experienced issues like heat, they simply backed out the advice. Not that I am saying its always wrong- hassle free is the way to go.

Okay, this is what I'll be purchasing tomorrow.

Core i7 860 + MSI P55-GD65 - Rs.20350
or
Core i7 860 + MSI P55-GD65 - Rs.22,350
I will enquire about the availability of the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P/Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 and accordingly make a decision.

HD 4890 (Sapphire/XFX) - Rs.11000 (I'll take the cheaper variant)

Cooler Master HAF22 - Rs. 6500

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler - Rs. 2000

Sunbeam TX-3 Extreme Performance - Rs. 450

Corsair VX550W - Rs. 4500
(2GB;1+1)GSKILLF3-10600CL9D-2GBNQ Dual Channel Memory (PC3-10600) - Rs. 3500

I'm really at ends with the RAM!I dont want to overshoot my 50,000 budget (ya, now it's 50000), and I dont want terrible RAM!

I'll be around e-Lounge, and Prime tomorrow buying these things.

If anybody can reply about the RAM then please do.
P.S. - Do give your comments about this setup.My second setup in 7 years.

Back