Corona Kavach - Covid insurance plans

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
So, I've been trying to find out more about the covid insurance plans. I already have a floater Mediclaim insurance with Star Health, but I believe this will not cover the disposables like PPE and gloves, etc. for covid. Which is why I'm looking for a specific covid insurance plan.
Does any member have any experience with this? Do you have any specific recommendations?

I dont think any insurance will cover disposables in current scenario which is why hospitals are charging 30-50k per patient as PPE charges

That's old news. IRDAI had recently issued guidelines for corona specific policy, which specifies that PPE kits, gloves, etc. should also be covered.

Going with Star Health Corona Kavach policy, although their premium is little higher than the likes of National Insurance and United India. I have good experience with Star Health.

Going with Star Health Corona Kavach policy, although their premium is little higher than the likes of National Insurance and United India. I have good experience with Star Health.
Where did you find the premiums of Star Health to be higher for Corona plans. I just checked both Star Health and National Insurance premium charts and National Insurance premiums are considerably higher. My Mom is 58 and Star Health plan premium for 5L is 2281 while it is 6975 for National Insurance. I was thinking of going for National Insurance myself as they are a govt owned company but the premium rate is much higher and the benefits seem to be equal as both cover PPE charges.

I just checked both Star Health and National Insurance premium charts and National Insurance premiums are considerably higher.
Yeah.. I meant to type Oriental. My apologies. National Insurance was the highest of what I had researched, followed by Bajaj Allianz.

Star health policy maximum coverage is for 5 lakhs, is this for entire family(2+2) or each one in the family will be covered for maximum 5 lakhs? If we go for floater!

I already have health optima floater with star, will it not cover covid?

Star health policy maximum coverage is for 5 lakhs, is this for entire family(2+2) or each one in the family will be covered for maximum 5 lakhs?
All corona kavach plans are capped at a maximum of 5 lakhs coverage, and a maximum term of 9.5 months. If you choose floater, it will be 5 lakhs for the entire family.

My advice would be to go for individual plans for each family member. Floater discounts are hardly worth it. And we know that when one member of a family becomes covid positive, the other members are very much likely to get the same.

@logistopath thanks for the suggestion. How about kids? Assuming i want to insure maximum possible for each one of them in the family(2+2 kids), what's the best way to go ahead considering I already have star health family floater policy.

I already have health optima floater with star, will it not cover covid?
I have the same for my family too. The problem is, existing health insurance plans have various sublimits, especially on consumables. Stuff like ppe and gloves, home quarantine, etc are not covered. So taking a specific covid policy makes sense, especially if your floater plan value is less. If you see the bills from private hospitals, almost 50% of the bill amount goes towards consumables.

There is another type of policy called Corona Rakshak. This is offered by very few insurance companies. The premium is also High. However, as per this policy, if someone's diagnosed as covid positive and is hospitalized for 3 days, they get the entire sum assured as a lumpsum amount.
Post automatically merged:

@logistopath thanks for the suggestion. How about kids? Assuming i want to insure maximum possible for each one of them in the family(2+2 kids), what's the best way to go ahead considering I already have star health family floater policy.
I guess you could take individual 5 lakh policies for each family member (including kids). If you are in a metro and you expect hospitalization expenses to be very high, it makes sense to go for individual plans for all. Any expense beyond the sum insured in this kavach policy can be claimed in your optima, I think. Please get this clarified from your agent.
Also, please take the 9.5 months plan. This kavach policy cannot be renewed. So every time you buy it, there will be a waiting period of 15 days.

Last edited:
Thanks, going with kavach policy. Only confusion is if we choose as individual policy, is it possible to take individual for kids as well?

Thanks, going with kavach policy. Only confusion is if we choose as individual policy, is it possible to take individual for kids as well?
Yeah. Got this clarified with my agent. The policy will be sent in the name of an adult of the family. It will list out all the individuals covered (2 adults + 2 dependant children), each showing their SI amount of your choosing.
If you would like to claim 80D tax benefits for both yourself and your wife, you could split the policy in the name of the two adults. In each policy, there will be an adult and one dependant child.
Post automatically merged:

Like this
download.png

@logistopath thank you, the screenshot you shared was good reference for me. Earlier my confusion was, if its individual means, only one person we can get and like wise i thought four seperate policy needed :(.

Now i've taken as well.

Back