Corona virus in China

blr_p

Skilled
Lots of discussion on this topic over a month now. I noticed one clip that could be important.

Indian pharma says they have enough supplies to hold out for 8 - 10 weeks.

That puts us in April.

What if the situation does not improve in China by then ?

The effect of mass quarantines means people can't get to work.

What happens then to availability of critical life saving drugs & their price here in India.

Are there people in your family who depend on them ?

Lot of other stuff will get really costly since all other countries are already fighting for the limited supplies which the stockists have. I'm thank full India is free of the virus till now. But greedy people will hike product prices to take advantage of low supplies to make a killing. Already saw comments on Reddit on how suppliers in USA are feeling the pinch and not getting stuff even after calling all their stockists.
Being a little bit self reliant in food and other things like drug manufacturing etc is good to the economy in such times. Keeps us buffered from such unknown stuff.

Lot of other stuff will get really costly since all other countries are already fighting for the limited supplies which the stockists have. I'm thank full India is free of the virus till now. But greedy people will hike product prices to take advantage of low supplies to make a killing. Already saw comments on Reddit on how suppliers in USA are feeling the pinch and not getting stuff even after calling all their stockists.
Being a little bit self reliant in food and other things like drug manufacturing etc is good to the economy in such times. Keeps us buffered from such unknown stuff.
India depends on China , in a large way, for raw material to make medicines . Don't know about other stuff, so yeah it's lil scary.

I've recommend people build up their own stock to last till June.

Anyone with any prepping experience??

Planning to buy 10kgs of meat tomorrow. Should last a month. What else should we stock? Rice? Lentils? Butter? Salt?

I doubt I can store water.

Anyone with any prepping experience??

Planning to buy 10kgs of meat tomorrow. Should last a month. What else should we stock? Rice? Lentils? Butter? Salt?

I doubt I can store water.
I don't expect problems with food.

But here is what an english expatriate living in Wuhan says

Americans asking the same questions we are

in the 90s we manufactured all API's in country but the cost savings made us buy from China thereafter

Last edited:
In today's DH

Virus-hit China threatens Indian economy

Fall in Chinese manufacturing due to coronavirus outbreak to hit raw material imports

Annapurna Singh
NEW DELHI, DHNS

Indian economy is staring at huge supply disruptions in the next few weeks with China, the globe’s largest exporter, witnessing a historic fall in its manufacturing activities, weighed down by the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

Sectoral trade data shows China accounts for nearly half of India’s electronics imports and a third of machinery from the neighbouring country.

India’s exporters of electronics, pharmaceuticals, speciality chemicals and to an extent automobile depend on China for raw material.

Though the Union government has tried to downplay the country’s risk exposure to China in the near term, sources said there could soon be an import duty cut on antibiotic drugs, mobile parts and other items to help businesses cope with the shortfall arising out of China.

“These are facing supply constraints,” trade body Assocham said on Saturday, hours after the latest China’s manufacturing PMI data for February showed a slump to 35.7 from 50 in January.

PMI or Purchasing Managers’ Index is one of the most closely watched watched indicator of business activities in the world. A figure above 50 denotes expansion while below 50 contraction in business activities.

Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, who has held several round of meetings in the past fortnight with industry groups, said that “things may get challenging if it (corona) prolonged for another two or three weeks”. But Nirmala also cautioned on pressing the panic button yet.

Pharma, chemical, solar equipment, paints and mobile companies have been facing the heat and have already complained to the government. Supply disruptions may soon threaten availability of certain life saving drugs in Indian stores, according to a company executive.

Look at the stupid remarks made by BJP ministers who have no clue what they're looking at.

Reality:

Does anyone understand how viruses evolve? At what point can we say that it is no longer a threat.

What will stop all of us from getting infected sooner or later?

Last edited:
Does anyone understand how viruses evolve? At what point can we say that it is no longer a threat.

What will stop all of us from getting infected sooner or later?
They mutate, its like playing the slot machine. One combination survives and becomes dominant. The virus is no longer a threat when it hits a limit. Either through social distancing or herd develops immunity. We're not there yet. When it hits that limit it means it cannot infect any more but people still need to be kept apart so they can recover and the number of people carrying the virus decreases. So there is a lag on top of a month.

Following precautions. Virus needs a host to replicate. It cannot survive on its own.

What makes things difficult is people that do not show symptoms but carry the virus and can spread it.

Listen to what Dr. Steven Hatfill says here. He is describing the theory of evolution. Any time some one tells you that evolution is a fairy tale tell them about the flu virus.

Bannon has a whole series on this pandemic which i'm catching up with slowly

Last edited:
The total deaths caused in a month by dengue, malaria, cholera and diarrhoea in India are probably twenty times higher than this Corona Extra.
In the last ten years itself I've seen massively hyped up diseases like SARS, H5N1, swine flu, Ebola, Zika, etc that disappeared without a trace. This outbreak too will be gone and forgotten by the end of the year just like the others, it'll cause some short term problems but it'll be gone nonetheless.

Last edited:

You counted your blessings too short, buddy. Two cases of Coronavirus were found in Delhi. Apparently, the man came back from a visit to Italy.
~Engineer.AI

This is truly disheartening!

Reminds me of this one news piece, wherein the host was talking about how the Trump administration gutted the Pandemic response team from the CDC listing - all to fund an Military operation.

Turns out, there is always fund to support a war, but none to abate a pandemic.

smh
~Engineer.AI

This is truly disheartening!

Reminds me of this one news piece, wherein the host was talking about how the Trump administration gutted the Pandemic response team from the CDC listing - all to fund an Military operation.

Turns out, there is always fund to support a war, but none to abate a pandemic.

smh
~Engineer.AI
Trump's offered to help China three times and been refused.

The doctors & nurses there have it hard. Long hours and inadequate training. This happens when you mobilise people on a war footing.
Post automatically merged:

The total deaths caused in a month by dengue, malaria, cholera and diarrhoea in India are probably twenty times higher than this Corona Extra.
In the last ten years itself I've seen massively hyped up diseases like SARS, H5N1, swine flu, Ebola, Zika, etc that disappeared without a trace. This outbreak too will be gone and forgotten by the end of the year just like the others, it'll cause some short term problems but it'll be gone nonetheless.
Provided current trends hold

john hopkins global cases.jpg

Notice how that graph is flat lining. It means the quarantine measures are working.

The story changes week by week. When i was listening to talks from mid Feb people were saying the opposite. That the quarantine was not working as there was a spike of new cases.

Now if things hold, then that graph will drag out like that for another month and numbers recovering will spike.

The hard part is deciding when to end the quarantine.

If its beginning April, then there should not be another outbreak.

Quarantine means people cannot go to work. Business pressure is rising to get people back into factories.

CCP is under pressure to put people to work otherwise they get nervous about their future

People coming into contact again increases the risk of infection.

If there is a second wave it will be worse than the present one. That's how these things go.

Mobile world congress in Barcelona has been cancelled

No word yet on whether the summer Olympics to be held in Japan this year will also face the same fate.

Last edited:
Trump's offered to help China three times and been refused.

The doctors & nurses there have it hard. Long hours and inadequate training. This happens when you mobilise people on a war footing.

I hope the US picks itself up in this time of crisis. A lot of other countries look upto it for guidance on these type of issues. It is sad to see they themselves being so woefully under-prepared for a catastrophe such as this one. USA can engineer AI to combat the virus by creating new drugs based on machine algorithm, since they have the technology to.

New times, new habits. This video would be incomprehensible only a couple of months ago

I hope the US picks itself up in this time of crisis. A lot of other countries look upto it for guidance on these type of issues. It is sad to see they themselves being so woefully under-prepared for a catastrophe such as this one. USA can engineer AI to combat the virus by creating new drugs based on machine algorithm, since they have the technology to.
I expect other countries to have smaller rates of infection as they already have been forewarned. China did not know what they were dealing with. Exceptions exist. Almost 8% of the Iranian govt is infected i heard. What with their health minister on one day claiming masks were not necessary and then a few days later he was infected as well.

There are trial vaccines to test. The thing is this testing takes time. Nobody expects a vaccine that works for some time yet. The record with making one for SARS does not inspire confidence. Same happened with MERS too. No vaccine for that either.

Good idea. Primary school kids are the worst germ carriers about

Last edited:
New times, new habits. This video would be incomprehensible only a couple of months ago

I expect other countries to have smaller rates of infection as they already have been forewarned. China did not know what they were dealing with. Exceptions exist. Almost 8% of the Iranian govt is infected i heard. What with their health minister on one day claiming masks were not necessary and then a few days later he was infected as well.

There are trial vaccines to test. The thing is this testing takes time. Nobody expects a vaccine that works for some time yet. The record with making one for SARS does not inspire confidence. Same happened with MERS too. No vaccine for that either.

Good idea. Primary school kids are the worst germ carriers about

Seeing ANY OF the measures my major countries of the world, does not inspire confidence one bit. In my opinion, something Trump said, really put things into perspective for how these 1% (the leaders of the world), are planning on dealing with this epidemic right now.

He may be dumb, but his senility exposes the inner machinations of the geopolitical structure rn - as with Sars, as with Mers; the epidemic came with a bang, flatlined, and then vanished as a memory for so many people. Trump is being coy about this, but it really is alarming to say the least.
~Engineer.AI

Back