Corona virus in China

This is a pretty major statement. It means we don't need wards with negative pressure (as is the case with airborne infectious diseases) to treat C19 patients as was initially thought.

The government also allayed concerns over the spread of the virus through air, clarifying that the infection only transmits via droplets released due to coughing, sneezing and from the breath of a Covid-19 patient.

The coronavirus infection is not airborne but a droplet infection. Had it been an airborne infection, every person in a family of an infected person would have caught the virus because they all would be breathing the air infected by the family member. The same would apply for other patients in a hospital. In some cases, scientists have found it in some settings,” said Dr R R Gangakhedkar, head of epidemiology and communicable diseases at Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).

This could explain how that 7yr old survived a few days with all her family members infected.

Also want to post another link about masks and which to use and when

If you're not a health care worker performing procedures on a patient that induce them to repeatedly generate aerosols or a cop subduing an infected patient then you don't need an N95 mask. Like i see so many videos recommending. Increasingly i feel these videos are not for the public but explicitly for health care workers who are in constant contact with infected patients. Who also need more than just a mask to keep safe.

You don't need an N95 to go out shopping. A surgical mask will work fine and it does not even need to be fit checked. Don't freak out if some one coughs in the line.

A surgical mask is fine even for community health workers that get within a meter of a patient.

That surgical mask might be compromised if some one coughs repeatedly in your face. And how likely are you to allow that to happen :)

which kind of mask.jpg

Pretty clear isn't it

Last edited:
Last edited:
Anything i particular catch your eye in that paper ?

It seems they are trying to estimate the number of cases in Wuhan by traffic flows out. They arrive at a figure of around 75k. Plausible

Official CCP data says 50k

True data can be anywhere from 1-2 times official Chinese data but not much more

Keep in mind when Chinese started recording this there were no test kits so they went through patient records and added them from symptoms.

Then the test kits came out which were not reliable. Then mid Feb they changed their counting method. It's around this time you notice a sudden drop in their cases. They decided not to count asymptomatic patients. To the tune of around 40k.

So the official figures presented are likely to be understated.

Fighting this thing would be easier if we weren't dealing with commies that want to politically manage instead of health manage.

Good summary of contact tracing apps in use around the world. India has over 16 and the Arogya Sethu app already has over 50 million downloads

From what i can tell unless adoption reaches 60% of the population the utility of these apps will remain limited.

Back