Monitors cost effective 24" - 23" LCD screen

I am looking out for a 24" or 23" LCD screen.
My preference is actually 4:3 screens, but I reckon these days 16:9 is in vogue. Also there are some 16:10 screens available!

Anyway, I am on a lookout for an LCD monitor. Budget is typical Indian style - as low as possible.
But I want considerable performance too (which means that if a 15K screen has better specs, but do not produce really significant visual difference, I would go for a 10K screen with not as great specs).

My purpose would be mostly browsing, viewing pix and movies and games. (in that descending order). I've read about technologies - and have come to conclusion that TN is good for response time, but has narrow field of view. The VA panels are good for contrast but they have slow response time and not as wide field of view. The IPS panels are great for wide field of viewing, but have poor response time.

1. Does slow response time actually make that great difference? I cannot believe that people would be able to visually perceive difference between 15 ms and 5 ms.

2. Contrast ratios. Not many people view the screens under complete darkness - the blacks and darkest grays would anyway seem similar. But perhaps on a dark night it would matter.

3. Viewing angle. Wide angle makes sense - especially if I intend to say lie down on the bed and watch movie. But if the difference compared to others is not drastic as claimed I wouldn't give it special preference.

4. LED vs CCFL back lighting. Technically, back lighting should not make any difference unless we have RBD LEDs. So I am not ready to splurge extra money on this aspect.

Unfortunately I can see that IPS panels are the most expensive :(
What are the cheapest monitors available for 24" and 23"

My current monitor is Samsung CRT which has worked really GREAT for past 9 years!
I want a similar trouble free operations also from this screen!

Reading your post, it seems you are confused on what you really want. You cant have everything at a low price. Cheapest monitors are all TN panel monitors, whereas the most expensive monitors are the IPS panels.
If your main purpose is browsing, movies and games (seems you're an occasional gamer instead of ardent gamer), you should stay away from TN panel displays. They have limited colour gamut and dont get colour tone properly. Since they dont have to adhere to good image quality you get fast response times.

VA panels & IPS panels give more importance to image colour and quality. Backlight and the panel used, do make a lot of difference because, what should be black on screen looks like some dark bluish shade or grey with some light seeping through it. IPS panels are really good in colour reproduction (most of the previous panels). The new ones are just 6bit and have some bleeding issues too.

If you want wide viewing angles and good colour reproduction, only va or ips panels will help you.
response times dont matter for viewing movies or browsing internet.

lots of similar threads asking for monitor recommendations have been posted in this section. if you haven't gone through them yet, please do so.
Mod Tip: always mention your budget if you really want someone to answer your queries.

You can check out Dell S2340L with IPS technology. Problem with this monitor is horrible glossy panel i.e its equivalent to a mirror. You can have it for 10k.

Thanks fot the suggestions.

I ultimately cut short my aspirations and went for 21.5" screens.
Dell and AOC were the two contenders for about 9K IPS screens.

Larger screen - will see you later in life.
Need to save money for new mobile, old phone just got sick x( ...
:(
Luck

Back