CPU reaches 99°C

LaXuS

Recruit
After installing a new gtx 760 my cpu has been heating a lot it reached 99 degrees while playing Arkham knight and i thought it might me because of the game's heavy requirement then i conducted the same thing on a weak game POP forgotten sands and the same thing happened,it reached 97°C ,
I later on tried underclocking my cpu to 2.8 ghz from 3.10 same thing happened again 97°C and don't suggest me to flash bios update or load everything to default settings I've already done it,it has no effect whatsoever

SPECS
i5-2400 @ 2.80GHZ
DH67CL (MOTHERBOARD)
GTX 760 2GB ZOTAC
CX600(PSU)
8 GB RAM

After installing a new gtx 760 my cpu has been heating a lot it reached 99 degrees while playing Arkham knight and i thought it might me because of the game's heavy requirement then i conducted the same thing on a weak game POP forgotten sands and the same thing happened,it reached 97°C ,
I later on tried underclocking my cpu to 2.8 ghz from 3.10 same thing happened again 97°C and don't suggest me to flash bios update or load everything to default settings I've already done it,it has no effect whatsoever

SPECS
i5-2400 @ 2.80GHZ
DH67CL (MOTHERBOARD)
GTX 760 2GB ZOTAC
CX600(PSU)
8 GB RAM

Looks like the thermal compound has worn off on your CPU and heatsink. When was the last time you applied it?

If you haven't done it recently, remove the heatsink, apply thermal paste and reseat it. You'll see the temps drop back down to normal levels.

Looks like the thermal compound has worn off on your CPU and heatsink. When was the last time you applied it?

If you haven't done it recently, remove the heatsink, apply thermal paste and reseat it. You'll see the temps drop back down to normal levels.
Thx bro i forgot that i haven't applied thermal paste ...

You need to check your airflow. There's extra heat being generated, and you need to increase the airflow in your cabinet to vent it.

i have ordered a thermal paste it's going to come at 26 sep and after i apply it ill write my results so that everyone can fix this issue

I later on tried underclocking my cpu to 2.8 ghz from 3.10 same laptop frozen thing
happened again 97°C and don't suggest me to flash bios update or load everything to default settings I've already done it,it has no effect whatsoever

SPECS
i5-2400 @ 2.80GHZ
DH67CL (MOTHERBOARD)
GTX 760 2GB ZOTAC
CX600(PSU)
8 GB RAM

I was also thinking about the damaged thermal pasting as the root cause of the issue.

shit happens :p last time my cpu touched 99c , It was because a wire came loose and got tangled in cpu fan and stopped it from spinning.

haha, a simple loose wire made your life a hell for a few days.

Whenever my PC gets overheating issues, the first thing I check is any possible distraction for the free airflow.

I recently had to change the thermal paste on a E7440 for a acquaintance. The CPU is a i7 4th gen - i7 4600U. Even after changing the paste (the earlier one had dried off) the temps were still in the 60-70s. Is this normal?

I recently had to change the thermal paste on a E7440 for a acquaintance. The CPU is a i7 4th gen - i7 4600U. Even after changing the paste (the earlier one had dried off) the temps were still in the 60-70s. Is this normal?
LOL! you bumping such a old thread...
Temps certainly not normal. To check, try touching the heatsink and relevant area while the system is running, you can sense if the temps are that high or not. Sometimes sensors go mad/faulty which can result in incorrect temps reporting. Also, TJ max temps can also interfere with proccy/mobo temps while displaying in tools and even bios.

Last edited:
for stock cooler this temperature range is quite normal for 4th gen i7, is you are doing any consonant high CPU uses task then simple after market cooler of deepcool or cooler master will do the work

LOL! you bumping such a old thread...
Temps certainly not normal. To check, try touching the heatsink and relevant area while the system is running, you can sense if the temps ate that high or not. Sometimes sensors go mad/faultu whichc an result in incorrect temps reporting. Also, TJ max temps can also interfere with proccy/mobo temps.

Yeah, had to bump such an old thread :(

Anyways, the matter is resolved. The person no longer faces graphical glitches or CPU slowdowns on the system, so its working as expected. Used Noctua H1.

Back