CPU/Mobo CPU temp too high or normal ?

Hi All,

I just got phenom II X4 840

My cpu temps are 54 Degree C on idle. Are these normal ? Or too high ?

Config:

phenom II X4 840

Biostar 880 G mobo

2 x 2 GB DDR3 RAM

1 TB HD

VIP Gold PSU

AMD 4850 GPU

Cooler master elite 310 cabinet

Do you think my PSU is right to handle this. I am not facing any difficulty with this PSU. And are these temps normal ?

Edit: I have also applied thermal paste. 1 fan exhaust's hot air, and one fan intakes air.

I would say idling at 54 is high , but what matters is at what temp it goes while playing games , mine idles at 39 and goes to 61 while playing crysis .

I am yet to know about its load temps. How can I know at what temp. it is while playing crysis 2 ? I mean is it wise to Alt Tab and see temps in speedfan software or should I restart PC and see temps in BIOS ?

@Mephistopheles, I think you are right. Its summer season here and may be thats why high temp. The fan which I added to intake air, is making much noise. Any recommendations for a new fan ? its big fan, bigger than normal, i dont know what size do you call these fans.

IMO these temps are normal considering that its summer and you are on stock cooler, do post the load temps.

Just play crysis or run any softwares like prime95,orthos etc and use coretemp to monitor the temp.It shows the max temp,so you dont have to alt+tab.

@OP . What i do is open HWMonitor software before starting the game and check when i quit , it shows me the min temp and max temp .

Hmm,

The temps are a bit on the higher side i agree, this could be due to the summer heat or improper ventilation

nevertheless the temps are perfectly safe and within limits

AFAIK the TJMax for AMD Athlon II series is 72c

MY proccy idles at 36c and shoots to 51c under Load (Crysis 2008)

@funkysourav :

Which proccy do you have ? Thats really cool temps though. When I was having AMD X2, my idle temps were 40 degree c. Never cared to check the temps on load, lol.

@others;

Thanks. I will check the load temps and will get back to you.

Do you all think that I should get an aftermarket cpu cooler like cooler master TX3 ?

Let me first check the load temps, I have crysis 2, and I'll check the temps after running it for half an hour.

To check load temps properly use either LinX or Prime95... To use crysis 2 to fully stress cpu is something i wont recommend... Crysis 2 is a heavy game no doubt but it wont be able to fully stress all four cores this thing will only happen when there is high texture scene in other scenes your cpu would be at 60 to 80 percent max load. So what i am trying to say is you wont be able to get accurate load temps using a game...

just my two cents...

@funkysourav :

Which proccy do you have ? Thats really cool temps though. When I was having AMD X2, my idle temps were 40 degree c. Never cared to check the temps on load, lol.

I have the Athlon II X4 635 @1.25v

i undervolted it by a little to achieve those temps

Further Undervolting@1.22 is possible with my CPU but i wasn't getting any difference in temps so what the heck i settled for 1.25@2.9GHz

Dont be fooled by the names Athlon II X4 635 and Phenom II X4 840 are both the same, only with 300MHz speedbump

^

I would say temps are high even if its summer. You should try to get idle temps below 45C. Try reinstalling heat sink and reapplying thermal paste.

I have installed coretemp, and I think its reporting somewhat different temps, compared to BIOS - Health status.

Its showing me, low - 27 degree c, and high 34 degree c. Let me test it on load, and I'll post again the temps.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ok, I played NFS Hot pursuit for some 30 mins, and coretemp showed me 48 degree as high. I don't think this coretemp is reliable, as my BIOS displays 50-54 on idle. Oh and realtemp didn't work for me. It displayed me that the processor which you are using is not supported.

I have removed that air intake fan, which was on the side of cabinet, it was making much noise. I think i should get a 120 mm fan, any recommendations ? Also do you think it would make any difference, as the previous fan didn't made any difference.

One last question, do you think that adding a new 120 MM fan will make any difference ? Should I add one intake 120 mm fan to the cabinet ?

Back