CPU/Mobo CPU Upgradation suggested

Would need advice on beefing up the CPU alone [Is it possible:ashamed:] without replacing my motherboard and other components. Here are the CPU-Z results. It is a AMD Athlon X2 4000.
bEGTM.jpg
[/IMG]

Desecrator said:
Cannot see the screenshot thanks to websense! I'm assuming that is the same old Dell PC? :p

Yeah, it is the same old DELL.

asingh said:
^^
Yes it is possible. [That is all you get, since that is all you asked for].

Damn, should have been more clear. Can you suggest a good & more powerful replacement for the existing CPU.

iamddevil said:
Even if the chipset supports newer processors, they may not work as expected without a bios update.

Correct me if I'm wrong, even if I change the CPU, the system won't work without doing a BIOS update.

@ Zopeon, yes it is an AMD X2.

in the same family ... x2's ...you won't have any problem.

but if you upgrade to phenoms, phemon II, or athlon II's you may have problems with

1) the cpu being of a higher voltage than the m/b supports. ( leading to dead m/b, even if the cpu works )
2) the cpu working, but not being recognised
3) cool'n quiet not working
4) or the system not booting up at all.

Try contacting dell, or search the dell forums to see if anyones had success in upgrading the cpu.

^That's a socket AM2. Find out if Dell has released a BIOS update so as to support the newer AM2+ and AM3 processors on this socket. Besides, your newer processor will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 - 1 GHz HyperTransport 2.0.

IMO, chuck this option and get a newer board and processor from AMD. Selling this combo can salvage you some amount as well.

Back