CreationWatches - Questions

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hello folks,

I'm planning to order a Seiko watch from Creation Watches, but I wanted to know if it's safe to order from them and also if I choose shipping through DHL (free shipping according to their website) how much customs duty am I looking at? What exactly is the % that can be charged on watches when being imported into India? The value of the watch I plan on purchasing is in the zone of 10-13k (INR).

Also, I think DHL will clear the customs duty in case it is charged and will collect the duty amount from me at the time of delivery?

It would be great if someone who has purchased from Creation Watches before or someone who knows about them can shed some light on this and share their experience while buying from them.

Regards,
BH.

I was about to start a thread with the exact same content except for the budget, mine is 7-9k

I have emailed them this morning with some questions, haven't gotten a reply yet. Mostly tomorrow since today is a Sunday. The main thing I need to know is even if customs is charged, what could end up being the maximum percentage.

The other thing is, on some of the customer reviews on their site, it was mentioned that the watch arrived all good in the original box but the manual and other documents (if any) weren't shipped inside the box. Could perhaps be a concern but as far as I get a genuine watch I'll be happy.

Tagging @asingh and @m-jeri here... they might know about CreationWatches and how they operate.

I remember someone claiming here that they've received 3-4 timepieces from them without paying any customs since it was marked as a gift, don't recall who it was though.
I've visited their site multiple times but it's only now that I'm considering buying, I'd rather choose an entry level mechanical instead of a similarly priced Titan to gift someone.

That's actually amazing if the product lands up without customs. However, if the product does get charged duty I think it is 10% (not sure) of the total value of the product.

In any case, I'm ordering the watch tomorrow. I hear they have pretty fast shipping through DHL. Which automatic are you planning to buy?

This one looks appealing on their testimonial page
Customer Testimonials :

Testimonial.JPG

Customs on watches of any kind, new or old, is 38% of total value, irrespective of legal import limit.

DHL WILL charge you full amount of duties, plus add on their own handling and clearance fees to the tune of Rs. 500 to 1000 per shipment.

Creationwatches is a known grey market reseller. They buy their stock cheap from Hong Kong and South-East Asia based sellers and then turn those items online for a profit. Their products might not be accompanied by original boxes, manuals, papers, tags, or pillows. So far as I know, there is no way to discern which watch will be shipped in what way. I have bought just once from them but know many people who are repeat customers. So far none of us have had any issues.

All the best.

They mention on their website that they charge extra for the original box. Else they send with a standard box. A friend got a Orient delivered some years back. Genuine and good. The website is safe.

Took the leap and got an Orient Mako (Pepsi bezel) today for INR 8,204/-. Lets see what happens and how much I end up paying as duty.

In case anyone is looking to buy, use coupon 'HOLIDAYS' to get 5% discount across all watches.

upload_2015-12-18_18-57-35.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1450502248][/DOUBLEPOST]Update: Had mailed them last night asking them to declare the shipment as 'low value' to avoid customs hassles. They just reverted saying they shall do the needful.

Last edited:
CW had shipped the watch and sent the tracking details on 18th itself. :)

The shipment is now stuck at Mumbai customs! CW had declared it as a 'Generic watch' with a low value. DHL told me that customs was asking for the exact make and model of the watch. Told DHL that it is a generic Orient watch. Lets see what happens. I have a bad feeling that DHL is gonna make me pay a hefty duty for this one. :(

upload_2015-12-24_18-43-6.png

CW had shipped the watch and sent the tracking details on 18th itself. :)

The shipment is now stuck at Mumbai customs! CW had declared it as a 'Generic watch' with a low value. DHL told me that customs was asking for the exact make and model of the watch. Told DHL that it is a generic Orient watch. Lets see what happens. I have a bad feeling that DHL is gonna make me pay a hefty duty for this one. :(

View attachment 61949

I had ordered the Seiko black monster from CW. CW mentioned that the watch will shipped in an unbranded gift box. I was charged quite a bit of customs. The value of the watch was Rs.13K. I was charged Rs.5,200 as duty including storage charges of Rs.500. I had asked them to make it as a gift.

Cheers

I had ordered the Seiko black monster from CW. CW mentioned that the watch will shipped in an unbranded gift box. I was charged quite a bit of customs. The value of the watch was Rs.13K. I was charged Rs.5,200 as duty including storage charges of Rs.500. I had asked them to make it as a gift.

Cheers

Thats really sad to hear! Did they provide a receipt for the duty paid?

Cheers

Then there is no point ordering it from this portal. Not that it is the portals fault. My friend had got his through with duty. Before they used to declare it as horological gift. Now if the exact model is being asked: am sure they have a check list and will charge customs. Game over.

Thats really sad to hear! Did they provide a receipt for the duty paid?

Yes, they did provide the customs and DHL invoice. Guess this would be my first and last purchase. I believe if you have friends/family in Singapore, one could get it delivered to their address and if they can carry it for you, that would be a better deal.

Cheers

Then there is no point ordering it from this portal. Not that it is the portals fault. My friend had got his through with duty. Before they used to declare it as horological gift. Now if the exact model is being asked: am sure they have a check list and will charge customs. Game over.

^ Worst part is that DHL is excruciatingly slow and practically useless. I think India Post does a better job! And I am sure that DHL must be pushing for the exact watch details just so as to avoid any additional work. And they should have asked me for an invoice so as to assess the duty which they haven't and now if they allow customs to charge exorbitant duty on the watch, I am really gonna screw up their lives!

Least they could have done was to represent my case using the invoice I had. If then customs had still disagreed, I wouldn't have blamed DHL.

Yes, they did provide the customs and DHL invoice. Guess this would be my first and last purchase. I believe if you have friends/family in Singapore, one could get it delivered to their address and if they can carry it for you, that would be a better deal.

Cheers

^ Its unfortunate that we cannot deal with good retailers like CW (prompt shipping and I assume genuine products and low prices) due to shitty attitude of Indian Customs and DHL. On that note, I think even I wont be buying from them anymore. :(

Back