Cricket World Cup 2011 Thread

yashvisent said:
The reason that i did not do is because i thought it to be a prank. I my self was not sure but was shocked as how events un-folded.

and mind me guys i am not the only one to receive this sms many of my friends too received it through their respective sources.

any ways I may be wrong but am still not able to believe the accuracy of this sms.

was it a real fact or some wonder of astrology ????
Why to worry on this, better term this as co-incidence and move ahead :) India won after 28 yrs, thats the happy moment for us, HOW is a different thing ;)

^^ Post a screenshot or pic of the sms with date and time ...otherwise no one will believe you. Will report to TOI/ICC and they will come behind u :)

@yash - Okay, let's assume it was prank. But you could have posted in even after Lanka winning the toss. So no one gonna believe you. Hope Supra won't report this to ICC ;)

In todays TOI paper ,you see a AD of Audio congratulating team india.You see a picture Ravi Shastri on the hood of the Audi Car,which he got for man of Tournament Award back then.

Today morning in Times NOW ,Ravi Shastri said he called up Audi and said them to give a Audi to Yuvaj Singh and he said Audi will indeed give Yuvraj a Audi.

MAGNeT said:
And btw from when has wankhade been a bouncy picth?Gambir got out because of low bounce also did we see any bouncers?
On the HD telecast, the commentators Sanjay Manjrekar, Nasser Hussain, (forgot the third guy) was saying that the stadium + the pitch were made new. The pitch was made out of red soil, which was hardened and made into a bouncy pitch. Even the outfield was new with lots of grass.

Sri lankans are not know for gettin involved in match fixing.besides no team is stupid enough to throw away a world cup final for money!Not even pakistan!!!Besides why everyone before the match claims that they talked to a bookie who told him that india will loose today and why after the matrch they claim that his or her bookie 's prediction claim true???? Why nobody predicted SL would make 275, jaya will score a century before the match actually started??The only logical reason why people make such claims on this forum is to get some attention i guess!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

India won fair and square dude !! that's it!

Congos to all the INDIANS for the WC.

Stop commenting on the fixing, even if it is true, We will have the cup. No point in discussing it now :).

Lets hope that it was all fair game and INDIAN team did well.

cricfan said:
Bharath Rathna....for Sachin...surely...and can the Dronacharya awards be given to foreigners??
dunno. but already yusuf pathan and munaf patel have been conferred with eklavya award in gujarat. similar awards can't be given in many other states like TN because of election time :p

_

Spacescreamer said:
We need the id and 2 screenshots.
Stick to rules pls. :|
Is that enough to prove conclusively what yash said ?

No way to know is there and until it is then there is no credibility at all. onus is on the person that makes the statement to prove the case.

Post the pics anyway and we'll see.

i may be wrong but please do follow the article below and the link also provided

Hoax SMS gave jitter during World Cup final - The Times of India

Hoax SMS gave jitter during World Cup final

NEW DELHI: During the tension filled moments of the cricket World Cup final, SMSes alleging the India-Sri Lanka match was fixed gave people the blues. Fans started despairing when some of the claims in the text actually came true!

An SMS that started doing the rounds from Saturday morning read: "SL (Sri Lanka) will bat first. SL will make 270-273 runs. Sehwag will be out in first over (he has already been paid Rs.23 crore in UBS-Swiss bank). Sachin will be 95-98 out. SL will win by just 1 run, for which Rs 251 crore paid to India."

Most dismissed the SMS as a hoax. But Sri Lanka did bat first and did make 274 runs.

"I never gave it a serious thought, but some of the things were spot on," Atreya Thapliyal, a professional who saw the match with his friends said.

Then came the bummer.

Virender Sehwag got out in the second ball of the Indian innings to a beauty from Lasith Malinga.

And doubts started creeping in.

"I was watching the match with my friends at the DLF city club in Gurgaon. There were about 150 people there. Suddenly the mood changed after Sehwag fell. People started discussing the SMS and when Tendulkar got out, people actually started leaving. At least 30-40 people must have left," Navdeep Bajwa, an airline pilot partying with his friends told IANS.

Akshit Sidhu, a restaurant owner in Gurgaon, said: "It was crazy. After Tendulkar got out, it seemed the match was slipping. My customers were feeling low, adding to that was a flurry of SMSes. I got one saying that 'India will lose quick two wickets. And youngsters will help India win'."

"How was it possible? I saw the SMS and didn't believe a word, but then when we lost Sehwag and Tendulkar, my heart just sank," said Ranjana Ghosh.

But cricket is a game of glorious uncertainties. Resilient knocks by Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli and skipper M.S. Dhoni saw India through. And after a fabulous win, all is forgotten.

"Fixed or no fix. We won the match. We are the champions," Bajwa said.

The sms is just a coincidence. If an unknown sms is good enough to sway your loyalty to your team, then you should be questioning your loyalty, not the sms or the team. :p

Very good yash, so at least TOI believes you :)

Now i understand to some point why some ppl got cynical -- am not watching anymore (raksrules) and even gave some sarcastic replies -- not very interested at all(Sharekhan).

So how close were the predictions

"SL (Sri Lanka) will bat first. [TRUE] - fluke, 2nd toss up increased the chances
SL will make 270-273 runs. [TRUE]
Sehwag will be out in first over [TRUE]
Sachin will be 95-98 out. [FALSE] not even they could make sachin run out much earlier
SL will win by just 1 run" [FALSE]

So that's little over 50-50, 2/5 - 3/5 but its doable. Bet any avid cricket fan could do the same. But getting 4/5 or 5/5 would be much harder. Though cunning choice of predictions could improve this a bit. So this was an amateurish effort.

Would have thought 6pack could come up with better predictions as he beat paul the octopus earlier, but even he got it wrong too. You tipped SL to win this, didn't you 6pack :p

^ yup, very true. if you read all my posts in this thread, all my predictions came out false. Not one came true. I voted for SL, and they lost. I was hoping Pak won the semi finals, but they lost. so on and so forth. :(

My predictions come out false 99.9999% of the time accurately. :D

Back