Cricket's easy money?

MAGNeT

Skilled
Was going through this article as i am a regular reader of this persons column

WHat do u people feel about it?

Cricket's easy money - dnaindia.com

I also support the editor as u can see now politicans like sarad pawar ,arun jaitley,rajeev shukla being part of the gameAnd now even sashi tharoor and also respective politicans like modi for gujrat and lalu for bihar and so on

At one side u say we are in recession on other side see this

Plus the BCCi are in news for not even paying a crore of money as tax saying we promoting cricket in world on the contrary making cricket a nations assets could easily wipe a lot of taxes altogether and subsidies i guess and even promote games like football in INDIA which will also fetch much more money...But every ministers easily earn a lot of penny with it ..SS first saying they wont allow aussies here to play and surely a 100 croroe in theifr pocket and they say why always SS should be the the front torch bearer in this....

He does not say it but the implication is that games could be thrown because the book-makers (or worse the owners) say so.

This happens in wrestling, its all entertainment and the results are devised to get max viewrship. Wrestling is not a sport it is entertainment.

Maybe the author of the article would prefer that cricket remain a sport :)

So finally worms are out of the cans

IPL indeed is proved to be league to make your money white...(tharoor-Modi Saga)

Soon matches will be fixed to prove how big a fool we are to see gentlemen games becoming entertainment

blr_p said:
This happens in wrestling, its all entertainment and the results are devised to get max viewrship. Wrestling is not a sport it is entertainment.

I guess you are talking particularly about the staged wrestling aired on TV and not about wrestling in general. :p

To suggest that Shashi Tharoor has siphoned off some black money into IPL would not be correct. The most likely cause of his owning a stake by proxy is the "influence" he might have used to get Kochi into IPL. I am clueless what influence he used though.

I have never been a fan for Tharoor anyway. His qualifications are not of a true diplomat and i don't think his behaviour is becoming of one. I have always known diplomats to be men of few words and of speaking in circumlocution. Both of these traits he lacks. When sitting government ministers(and of the stature of junior foreign ministers) start getting involved in messy cricket scandals, you have to agree that things are not quite right.

Politicians otherwise have always been involved in sports.

Cricket has been changed forever, whether we like it or not. I just hope they do still play the normal cricket matches we all loved to watch with equal zest.

Safin said:
To suggest that Shashi Tharoor has siphoned off some black money into IPL would not be correct.

Tharoor not might havent

But Around 400 croroe for kochi came from Dubai..ED might be looking in the matter but its obvious each officer will keep their mouth shut when each of them get 5 crores each..

The friend of tharoor got share worth 70 crores free...why would anyone gift someone that amount share..Plus lot of details regarding kings eleven and rajasthan royal shareholders proves a close tie up of MODi

Both tharoor and Modi are controversy proud childs...they want to beat one another to show their power.

How come a league which came 2 years back with a company valuing 300 crore suddenly worths more than 500% and when u say recession how come u pay so much money plus players funds and other charges ....

How come a league which came 2 years back with a company valuing 300 crore suddenly worths more than 500% and when u say recession how come u pay so much money plus players funds and other charges ....

Because of TV rights and ad spends.

IPL has garnered enough TRP's and enough interest in these two years for ad spenders to pump in big money for new product launches and marketing around IPL time. Its akin to American superbowl now.

There has been recession yes, but even in recession the hottest property to get the maximum eyeballs has remained IPL. So its logical that the money will flow in and the value of franchises will go up.

But Around 400 croroe for kochi came from Dubai

Really? :eek:

But would it make any difference if it came from say Switzerland or even US. Just because the money comes from a place doesn't make it black (and neither does it mean Indian money is white)

The friend of tharoor got share worth 70 crores free...why would anyone gift someone that amount share

Obviously there are no free lunches in the world :lol:

He might have put his own money into the franchise via proxy or it might be that he helped the other owners of the franchise in some other ways :lol: We won't know either way :lol:

The point here is even big companies like reliance for even 1000 crore to garner have to come out with ipo..

.From where does this all cash came...

Ofcourse money might be coming from swiss via dubai....

May be the government itself funding bring your cash back via this route once its totally out we will have deal with UBS

U never know

My point is that IPl is not as clean as a sport as 50 overs cricket is...regarding the hulla of TRP and money...when u have the money of course the channels will shower u...Even all the news channel are PR agents of whom they are paid

u saw 2 teams this time.Next year more matches would be played hence soon or later ODI for countries might have to vanish or youngsters its better to be in IPL rather than slaught in 5 days- ODIs

Again in 2-3 years more teams will be added

valuation of RR was 335cr in 2008 and when shilpa shetty bought 11 approx valuation was 650 cr that is 94% approx appreciation.

no wonder if every team owner will brought their IPO of their team in market in 2-3 years (may be 10 depending on agreement). Many will take it all financial channels/newspapers will discuss them.

One team wins, its's share will rise and loosing team's share will collapse.

and we will start talking more abt valuation than cricket.

I hope cricket will keep on discussing more on sports channel than financial.

@magnet

With regards to BCCI not paying taxes, the IT department has said that they will be collecting around 300 crores as tax from this year's IPL alone. Moreover if you think that you can wipe out subsidies and other things by taking the money that BCCI makes from cricket, you're mistaken. Fuel subsidies alone have cost the government around 80,000 crores in 2009..The BCCI is going to make around 3 billion over a period of 10 years from the IPL and Internation cricket. How is that even close to wiping out deficit?

With the same logic you can argue that the government should take the profits of all leading indian business houses like reliance, tata, etc.

Finally, remember that IPL has been created with the purpose of entertaining people and giving young indian players a chance to play in the big league. It has been a success because of the huge amount of money and the marketing effort involved. Business houses have been attracted to the IPL not only because of the opportunity to make a little money but also because of all the glamour and fame that is associated with it.

My advice: if you don't like what you see, switch the channel. At the end of the day, the consumer is king.

IPL is staged in a way. Modi himself appeared on a show and said the reason for the events success was because they keep working behind the curtains to make the teams appear equal. He didn't use the exact words that i used here but that's what he tried to mean without being explicit.

MAGNeT said:
May be the government itself funding bring your cash back via this route once its totally out we will have deal with UBS

U never know
They would have to make that info public :)

safin said:
Cricket has been changed forever, whether we like it or not. I just hope they do still play the normal cricket matches we all loved to watch with equal zest.
Some friends were saying it just did not have the same feel as those one day international test matches. The idea of having a team of many nationalities made no sense to them at all. The idea of countries playing each other seems to matter more to these ppl than best teams playing each other. IPL for them is just one big money making machine for its owners than giving value to the viewer.

Look at the football premier leagues, lots of hoopla over money & sport, Italy especially ;)

But overall those leagues acted as incubators for talent. Football has defnitely benefitted from it even tho its very commerical the way its done.

Why should cricket be any different ?

You could have asked what took it so long in the first place.

Fahrenheit said:
@magnet
With the same logic you can argue that the government should take the profits of all leading indian business houses like reliance, tata, etc.

Again i say cricket is not a private company ...But thats the same reason they give being a government entity they dont comes under tax angles and paid less taxes (within 1 crore a year)whereas their every meeting cost 5 Lakhs

Now u say government will tax upto 300 crore IPL..the only stuff i have to say is PEANUTS

IPL is worth 20000 crore....Even if u say its not the money they earned in a year.....Suppose the 1500 crore which they got from KOCHI keeps in a simple savings account in bank...at 6 % per annum even that will fetch 1/3rd of the amount of tax theyll be paying as tax....And here there are 2 teams involved..Plus new revenues like internet rights for 100 crores etc that is enough to pay the taxes

If u said IPL is entertainment ..Sorry what they say is cricket added with glamour hence entertainment added.....Nowhere they say IPL is pure entertainment as compared with WWE.

I know all players are obligated to attend after match parties....DO u think with all this strictness will they be able to serve the country?
Also what if just before the 20-20 world cup dhoni,raina,shewag,yuvraj all are declared injured...?

I guess just inorder for the big cash they are destroying TEAm India for TEAm IPL...

Australia s looks much better in their thinking than us....Most of the australinas playing are of retired lot or not part of national team ...hence no problem to them...England and New zealand...not much involved or they do their national duty first than comes for IPL..Sri lanka and West indies...have no options as their boards are broken ofcourse players will go where they see opportunity...
South africa..i hardly see 2-3 players...

Seriously IPL isjust a money making business for all the powerfull players,graveyard for INDIAN cricket and timepass for us

I am not against IPL but its too much glamour which is killing the country image is making me feel sad...Also i dont see gony and other players of old IPL which make or are seen ...
Is this tournament a real talent hunter?

read this..

Tharoor's security tightened after SMS death threat - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: Minister of state for external affairs Shahshi Tharoor's security has been tightened following an SMS death threat received by him from Mumbai.

The SMS is said to be from Chhota Shakeel of the notorious D Company.

In the SMS, Tharoor was asked to apologize to Indian Premier League (IPL) commissioner Lalit Modi over the Kochi IPL team standoff.

Tharoor has reportedly written to the home ministry about the death threat, following which his security has been tightened.

Tharoor is reportedly in trouble after IPL commissioner Lalit Modi tweeted to reveal that Sunanda Pushkar, a close associate of Tharoor, had been gifted equity worth 70 crore in the new Kochi team which was sold for 1530 crore last month.

Modi in his email to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) chief Shashank Manohar had stated it was Tharoor who called him and instructed him not to reveal the identities of the stakeholders of the Kochi IPL franchisee.

In tweets on Monday, Modi has accused Tharoor of asking him not to investigate who makes up the Rendezvous Sports World group that led the consortium that bought the Kochi team.

Modi also revealed the details of the different partners and their stake in the Kochi team.

Tharoor, however, has denied pressurizing Modi.

FYI..

IPL doesn't get all the money from the franchises immediately. They take a percentage of the entire amount each year. At the end of 10 years they will have got the entire amount.

I agree that there is a risk of player burnout or injuries happening, but i would rather have 100 Indians playing a cricket tournament and making some money rather than 15 who get to go on international tours. Look at people like Vinay Kumar. His father was an auto driver before his son made it big. He now gets paid around 20L to play for RCB. Look at IShant Sharma etc...there are countless players who have made good money playing in the IPL. All i'll say is this...cricketers in India have a very short shelf life. Most of them are not good at business and dont know how to make money. IPL allows them to earn some good money doing what they love. Now wouldn't you want a job like that? I know i would...

The more important bit is a lot of kids see there is a chance to make it big. A better chance than existed till now anyway.

If a player's shelflife is short then where are the replacements coming from ?

Back