CS Vs IS/IT

Kumar

Skilled
Im basically from ECE so I know nothing about CS/IS branches. My uncle wants to join my niece in either CS or IT and wanted to know more about the branches in general and employment oppertunities in pirticular. So how do the two compare with each other?

Any input is greatly appreciated :)

Placement in IS is a bit tougher, since many companies still prefer CS and totally ignore CS. But most good companies also allow IS people to write.

IS is easier than CS, doesnt have advanced microprocessors theory and lab, which i heard are the toughest subs and practicals in 5th or 6th sem, dont remember

4 out of 6 subs and one lab will be same for CS and IS. only 2 theories and one lab will be different, it is possible to choose all CS subjects as electives incase you're given the free dom to do so.

Our HOD was a master and expert in neural networks, which is taken only by 2 colleges in whole karnataka :| ours, SJCE and RVCE. Really sucked in 8th sem, almost though i'd flunk in it.

SunnyBoi said:
Placement in IS is a bit tougher, since many companies still prefer CS and totally ignore CS. But most good companies also allow IS people to write.

An 'I' missed out Sunny??? :bleh:

I am in IT and have done all the subjects that CS guys were required to do. There is no difference in placements as far as I have seen.

In many colleges (including mine), the CS course has several core subjects related to Computers/Electronics/Electrical which are not covered in detail for IT branches, instead they have coverage of database/enterprise application/web development oriented subjects similar to those covered in MCA.

In such cases, people with a IT specialization are better suited for jobs in software services based sectors which focus on these software areas while people with CS specialization have better opportunities in more core software development area like desktop software/embedded software etc.

Jobs wise, its a bit easier for people with IT specialization to land in a Job at most software services based majors like Infosys or Satyam.

However this distinction between the branches is not present in all colleges and some like the IIIT's have almost the same stuff even though there are two different branches with the only difference being in the electives offered and that too, there is a good amount of overlap between either branches and so its possible for people in either branches to graduate after studying the exact same subjects.

In the end, all this does not matter much if the guy is really interested in the area in which case he can easily learn what ever he wants regardless of which branch he takes.

btw I have no deviation towards either branch. I myself have a B.Tech (CS) and M.Tech (IT) degrees.

IT actually prepares you better for an IT job, since what is taught is a direct match with what is required

but IT cos prefer CS folks for some reason :lol:

same thing can be said of CS when compared to EC :p

Lord Nemesis said:
In such cases, people with a IT specialization are better suited for jobs in software services based sectors which focus on these software areas while people with CS specialization have better opportunities in more core software development area like desktop software/embedded software etc.

Jobs wise, its a bit easier for people with IT specialization to land in a Job at most software services based majors like Infosys or Satyam.

It was my placement year this year and all the companies that either came to my college or those where I applied has common requirement of CS/IT. None of them demamded a specific branch of the two. I myself have landed a job with both service sector and product based companies. I dont think that placements consider a distinction between the branches.

But since you have more experience, can you give some examples where a particular company demands only CS or IT?

IT course is basically CS course with most difficult subjects(microprocessors/analog etc) not included.

thus it is basically an easier CS.

but firms give preference(very very little now a days) to CS over IT

hammerhead said:
It was my placement year this year and all the companies that either came to my college or those where I applied has common requirement of CS/IT. None of them demamded a specific branch of the two. I myself have landed a job with both service sector and product based companies. I dont think that placements consider a distinction between the branches.

But since you have more experience, can you give some examples where a particular company demands only CS or IT?

Its not that companies will specifically ask for CS or IT. I am taking about the preference of skill sets. For example, in our college, IT students had Java and Web development as one of their main study subjects while we CS students had more cocentration on C++, assembly, Computer Architecture and the like. Unless a CS student goes out of his way to learn Java or Web developement, he cannot claim them as his skill sets like IT students can. Any company working on those prefer people with those skills and so indirectly IT students are prefered.

another thing is , during college admissions , EC gets the higher ranks , followed by CS , and then IT. So recruiters assume the same , and even though IT folks are better suited, prefer to take the EC folks

if the question is about placement any deccent company really picks ups whatever students it can get,

most campuses placement (bulk of which are IT services company like TCS/CTS/INFY), EC/CS/IT will get the same paper to appear for and will be given the same profile, never mind what you studied.

Looking academically, IT is application of computer science. So IT will go on to apply technology that CS guys develop. Building a OS/RDBMS is a CS guys job. To build a web app or a erp app sud be right up IT guys alley.

But that was the theory, practically there will be almost very few people working into the internals of OS or many of the low level stuff.

Microprocessors are taught mainly because to deal with low level of programming. I don't have an idea how many of people in general do that kinda programming but in general from my personal experience must say it is pretty rare a software job which looks for it.

Lord Nemesis said:
Its not that companies will specifically ask for CS or IT. I am taking about the preference of skill sets. For example, in our college, IT students had Java and Web development as one of their main study subjects while we CS students had more cocentration on C++, assembly, Computer Architecture and the like. Unless a CS student goes out of his way to learn Java or Web developement, he cannot claim them as his skill sets like IT students can. Any company working on those prefer people with those skills and so indirectly IT students are prefered.

but really are they ? Personally, i feel most of the IT services bigges never consider what you have studied. more what they care for is what you have scored in there aptitude

in my college the it chaps had to suffer dsp!

while cs had to deal with thermodynamics :p

/different semesters nd all... thermo vs dsp aint teh comparison. just pointing out that they had more core tronix kinda papers than us :p/

In my experience CS and IT are similar but IT having an easier syllabus than CS.

Job point of view : Does not matter unless the candidate has required skill set. Students from core engg fields such as tronics mech and civil too get into IT companies if they have IT skills and the companies do not mind hiring them too.

Rest is upto individual choice.

greenhorn said:
WTF do CS guys have to do with Thermo-D :S

Maybe something to do with heating and cooling of computer parts.

Or some software code which results in 100% cpu utilization and in turn generates heat inside the cabinet .... :eek:hyeah: endless linkups .:eek:hyeah:

Back