Current in AV out and in wires

ahaldia

New Member
Recruit
Jun 4, 2009
2
0
0
63
I accidently touched the Tata Sky settop box av out wires and found that these were giving electric shock. The line tester showed electric current in all the three wires.

It was connected to LG DVD player and LG LCD TV and Sony Music system. I then checked with line tester all av out and in wires in all the three and found that LG TV and DVD player show current in line tester. Sony music system's av out or in sockets does not show electric current.

I have another Tata Sky set top box. AV out wires of this unit does not show electric current.

I called Tata Sky and LG people. Tata Sky people said that when ever you connect Tata Sky set top box with LG TV etc. then it will this problem and with other TVs there will not be problem. LG and Tata Sky people also said that it is due to weak earth.

These units have just two wire system and does not have wire for earth. I asked these people how to ensure that the problem is with earth and how to check the same. Although I will call electrician to do the job but please explain to me how to check the same. There was no reply. I have got many ACs in my house and they work fine. Two Fridge and these also work fine.

Could you please inform me how much current can be shown by AV out / in sockets and can this be harmful to humans? How to get this problem resolved? Should I go to Court or to Police for the supply of dangerous products or there is some technical solution?

Please help me at the earliest. I am a non technical man.
 

axeman

Ye Olde Systems Breaker
Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
1,674
214
152
41
Flood City
www.torrentleech.org
This typically happens if you still have your normal cable connection going into the TV. These cable wires often carry leakage current which can then go into the other components.

If this is not the cause, and you have a CRT TV (not an LCD/ Plasma) then the blame is on the CRT and you need to get it serviced by a technician, as it would mostly be leaking current into the other components.

To verify, use your other set top box with the same TV, do not connect any of the other devices and check. If you see a current, its the TV.

If you dont, turn on the 1st set top without anything connected and check the current. If you see current here, get the box replaced.
 

adder

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
3,354
225
153
well the audio video cables does indeed carry some current,i checked my big tv stb it does emit some current which u can feel it slightly,so does my xbox(not 360),the voltage in the av cables is 15v for the big tv,which by the way runs via a ac to dc 12v adaptor.
so it may be normal and because its a sony a very high probability of better parts used in the sony hence the lack of shock.
 

PaulBarber

New Member
Disciple
Jul 15, 2008
82
9
0
40
Typically if ur TV is old, it will have some high voltage leakage on it's ground terminal. I'm not sure if it can be repaired.

If leakage is coming from the cable (as in cable TV), u can connect 2 small high voltage capacitors in series for both inner and outer conductors before connecting to ur TV/STB. Asianet provides such a connector with all their cable TV connections. Protects against such leakage currents and maybe even lightning (not sure).
 

ahaldia

New Member
Recruit
Jun 4, 2009
2
0
0
63
My TV is LCD of LG make purchased in Feb. 2009 and a DVD player is a latest one with USB port of LG make purchased in Feb. 2009. I have only Tata Sky connection and no cable or other connection.

Even independently, TV, VDC & Tata Sky set top box show current on the electric line tester ( a Rs. 15/- item in which a light glows whenever there is current).

Neither LG people are ready to accept fault nor Tata sky people. Both says that it is because of "WEAK EARTH" WIRE. Nobody was able to explain how to check that phenomena.

Please help me. I have a feeling that these equipments may electrocute me or others some day.
 

PaulBarber

New Member
Disciple
Jul 15, 2008
82
9
0
40
If all of them are showing voltage on the ground, then surely it is a problem with your earth.

Without connecting any device, just check the earth terminal on the socket with a tester. I'm pretty sure it will glow.

If so, this means 2 things (both).

1) Your earth wire is not properly grounded. Either it is broken at some place, or the earthing is not proper. If you are not sure how to fix, contact an electrician, he shud be able to do it. Having an improper ground is dangerous, so do fix it ASAP

2) Some device is leaking current into your earth terminal. If you can identify that device, just unplug it for now so that you are safe from electric shocks (just a temp measure till you fix the earth).