Current Unemployment Situation And Job Market In India

But dude, 55, 60, 64 LPA jobs are like 0.000001% of the job market. They're so rare and require a different league of education AND networking that they are irrelevant to such discussions.

Graduates are looking for or doing jobs that are paying 10-12k salary.

Dude modi just means employment. You earn 100bucks or 12k doesnt matter. You are employed and earning. Unemployment is curbed!
Just like 1 house in village getting electrified means whole village is litted. Thats bjp bullshit.
If putting in lacs over so much education for 15+ yrs yeilds 12k salary then better off with unemployment and run chai-pan wala biz and play in lacs and crores.

But dude, 55, 60, 64 LPA jobs are like 0.000001% of the job market. They're so rare and require a different league of education AND networking that they are irrelevant to such discussions.

Graduates are looking for or doing jobs that are paying 10-12k salary.

I gave my friends case as an example, but there are plenty of people still getting decent jobs even in software industry. The problem for IT jobs is mostly localized to Services sector.

As for the employment in general, it was never that good to begin with and demonetization destroyed most of the informal sector that existed in India. For example, lock smithy was a major industry in Aligarh and demonetization wiped out 90% of the business and rendered the workers jobless.

If putting in lacs over so much education for 15+ yrs yeilds 12k salary then better off with unemployment and run chai-pan wala biz and play in lacs and crores.

With the level of knowledge and skills that many students are coming out of colleges these days, even 12k would be overkill. There is a lot to blame the education system itself and govt too (both congress/BJP), but students and parents are to blame too for bringing it to such a stage. Many students today don't even have the curiosity or drive to learn. Education is just a hurdle to get a job which is just a hurdle to get that salary.

My whole education from LKG to M.Tech cost me less than a lac and no, i didn't have any reservations etc. We didn't have great teachers or them spoon feeding us everything necessary to clear the entrance tests. We had some curiosity and drive to learn and relied on self learning most of the time which helped greatly.

It's time to shift countries now else rusting here in hopeless hopes aint gonna result anything better but only worst nightmares.

And then our govt says maximum people employed in NASA and here & there are Indians. So be a proud Indian.
Hell ya coz they arent idiots to work in India and earn poor salary just for some pension and medals which ain't gonna run their house and kids.
They made right decisions and settled abroad, they made right use of their career, choices and grabbed the best opportunities.

And ya they don't keep changing jobs like us every now and then coz they don't need to. They are valued in their cos. and they enjoy equal privileges and most importantly respect.

It's time to shift countries now else rusting here in hopeless hopes aint gonna result anything better but only worst nightmares.

And then our govt says maximum people employed in NASA and here & there are Indians. So be a proud Indian.
Hell ya coz they arent idiots to work in India and earn poor salary just for some pension and medals which ain't gonna run their house and kids.
They made right decisions and settled abroad, they made right use of their career, choices and grabbed the best opportunities.

And ya they don't keep changing jobs like us every now and then coz they don't need to. They are valued in their cos. and they enjoy equal privileges and most importantly respect.
It is all together a different story for immigrants in H1 visa working in USA.They will never know if their extension will be granted for another couple of years. Those who come on vacation to India can look forward for a very long vacation as their visa are not stamped in the consulate for no reason at all. Yes, US is turning hostile to immigrants especially from IT sector.

The main problem is our population. Colleges, schools, companies don't care if we leave or drop out. They have such a huge market to supply to, that they will take anyone else instead of you. My college required me to have 85 % attendance, each time I was disrespected for not maintaining attendance, I used to leave the class after that immediately because it hurt my ego since I'm 25. Infact I attended 7-8 practical classes only in the entire semester. Infact the people who were giving a whole lot more attendance than me were also rejected from giving exams. It's simple, our population is the reason kids don't get admissions in good schools, colleges, poverty, unemployment etc And now I'm in home enjoying my happy life

Last edited:
I think we were better in hands of British. Independence has earned nothing it feels. We would have being one of the developed countries with stringent laws, class facilities, education, employment, industries and what not.
Our freedom fighters must be crying above, we have made a mess of their sacrifices. Pity but hard truth.

Here's Why Nearly 3 Lakh People, Mostly Women, Have Lost Jobs In Kerala

"From Zero import duty, the central government imposed a 9.36 per cent import duty in 2015. This made the survival of small scale entrepreneurs like us, extremely tough. Currently the import duty is reduced to 2.5 per cent, but even that is very high for us. We have nothing left to pay," says Shashidharan Achary, an entrepreneur who invested his hard earned savings to start a cashew processing unit about 18 years ago.

Last edited:
It never took me this long to search a job in my decade+ career, but this time its over 5 months of application and interviews with absolutely no luck.

I don't know how i would meet my end-needs and buy food for family after two months. Savings are evaporating faster than water in this summer.
And then i come across articles like this India Is The Nation Of The Most Unemployed In The World which is further demoralising.

In this time frame of 5-6month, I was selected at an amazing company in Europe, but in last round HR said, they would like to have someone local in leadership position & if that doesn't work out they will get back to me.
Same happened with a Japanese giant. Majority of the hiring manager were ready to hire me, but HR always prefers a local (visa process is big issue now a days, and its obvious, no-one want to go through all those hustles).

No big company want a foreign national in leadership position. Where as in India, last week, i was rejected after multiple rounds, with a reason they are looking for an expat in bthis "role". Looks like i'm an alien in my own country.

Two of the offers i received (India) in this time frame were insisting a 20-25% pay-cut, which would take me another 5 years to reach at my current level and were impossible to accept as in those scenarios i would have been, anyways, struggling to meet my monthly commitments.

But it looks like, not just me. The other day i heard few people discussing how now M.Tech guys are even accepting contractor positions in various companies. Looks like the scenario is terrible

Anyways, what you guys thing of the present job market situation?
Does anyone has any suggestion for me in this situation?
I have approached almost all consultancy, including ABC, but nothing worked as of now.

Thanks for reading this long post. (please use PM router for any specific details, you may want to know about me)
Maybe I misunderstood but when you say creative/management I guess it mean non-IT?

If yes, then I agree with @Lord Nemesis that many of us are in software. So, it is difficult to give any view on how management/creative industry job situation is like. IT and mostly on product companies side people are seeing huge raises and salaries.

Companies are terrified of losing talent. Now getting in there is difficult and long process. Everyone is running after AI/ML. I have seen some people learning via Udemy etc, and being lucky enough to get jobs in startups with fat packages.

If that is not what you want, I guess completing a higher degree is always a chance. Maybe from a foreign university to boost your cred.

On an unrelated note, @Gearbox has a good point. There is unnecessary amount of political baiting in the thread. Can we please stop that and stick to career discussion?

I think we were better in hands of British. Independence has earned nothing it feels. We would have being one of the developed countries with stringent laws, class facilities, education, employment, industries and what not.
Our freedom fighters must be crying above, we have made a mess of their sacrifices. Pity but hard truth.
wow Lmao. There are so many things wrong with this statement I dont know where to begin.

*IF* british were still ruling us, we would be playing the roles of servants, laundry, boot polishers, latrine cleaners for them and their children. whats the use of railways when all you can use it is to travel from one city to another to clean the same bathrooms? Please don't make these statements outside on real world, people who lost their grandfathers and great grandfathers for freedom struggle will hate on you

wow Lmao. There are so many things wrong with this statement I dont know where to begin.

*IF* british were still ruling us, we would be playing the roles of servants, laundry, boot polishers, latrine cleaners for them and their children. whats the use of railways when all you can use it is to travel from one city to another to clean the same bathrooms? Please don't make these statements outside on real world, people who lost their grandfathers and great grandfathers for freedom struggle will hate on you

Dude seems you didnt read it properly. I have mentioned grandfathers in freedom fighters.
We wouldnt had been slaves till now but would have been a well developed country.
And yeah have spoken this outside in real world and its not just my views but of many people out there. Corruption of course would had been there but our standard of living would had been way too good than today.

Seems you are still stuck in early 1910s with only idea of cleaning toilets, boot polishers etc.
BTW you at least earn something cleaning toilets and polishing shoes rather than die in starvation and be unemployed.

There is no denying the fact that much of our (now antiquated and dilapidated) infrastructure was built by the brits. And it's highly unlikely that we would have reached this level of development and infrastructure based on what i'm seeing around me every day. And what about other brit colonies? I might be wrong but i think one of the last was hong kong. They didn't all end up as slaves as you think.

I'm NOT condoning the brit invasion of india, but just stating reality. It's very easy to get all hyped about the freedom struggle. What freedom?[DOUBLEPOST=1527081706][/DOUBLEPOST]p.s. just look at the Elphinstone road FOB stampede for example. In the end they got the freaking army to build it. Forget building our own infra, we can't even maintain stuff the brits did decades ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no denying the fact that much of our (now antiquated and dilapidated) infrastructure was built by the brits. And it's highly unlikely that we would have reached this level of development and infrastructure based on what i'm seeing around me every day. And what about other brit colonies? I might be wrong but i think one of the last was hong kong. They didn't all end up as slaves as you think.

I'm NOT condoning the brit invasion of india, but just stating reality. It's very easy to get all hyped about the freedom struggle. What freedom?[DOUBLEPOST=1527081706][/DOUBLEPOST]p.s. just look at the Elphinstone road FOB stampede for example. In the end they got the freaking army to build it. Forget building our own infra, we can't even maintain stuff the brits did decades ago.

Exactly what I wanted to mention. What freedom are we living into? Freedom under British era would had been much much better. Sadly some people still think the world still revolves around the games of masters and slaves. Pity such people.

^^ You are forgetting that Politics obviously has its impact on employment situation. In fact, entire world's politics matter.
Agreed. But the question is what should we do then? Turn every topic into baiting and complaining about politics? How does that really help OP or anyone for that matter?

p.s. just look at the Elphinstone road FOB stampede for example. In the end they got the freaking army to build it. Forget building our own infra, we can't even maintain stuff the brits did decades ago.

dumb people aren't using the bridge though. They are still using the old bridge and i'm guessing they like getting jostled and shoved here and there to spice up their day. what's that saying about a dog's tail being curved always?

Back