Custom Duties ?

l33t

Adept
My granny is returning from the states to Bangalore on the 15th of this month, And she'd be carrying 2 laptops and possibly 3 droids with her. Brand new, and yeah 1 console :ashamed:

I was reading through Navin's thread : http://www.techenclave.com/general-talk/need-sneak-tablet-not-chemical-one-184886.html

And now I have Doubts, Will my granny have to pay custom duties ? If so how much would it be for ?

Is there any way to avoid these duties ? If yes, please let me know how to go about them ?

Help Appreciated. TYIA

:cool2:

i think if the items are box packed . then it is taken that they are being imported (for sale and personal profit) thus custom duties are charged .

If the box is opened and it is shown that they were being used in thier country too , then no duties .

But im nt sure about this .

buddingwhizkid said:
i think if the items are box packed . then it is taken that they are being imported (for sale and personal profit) thus custom duties are charged.

If the box is opened and it is shown that they were being used in thier country too , then no duties .

But im nt sure about this .
Damn I don't want her to open the Boxes :p How much is one taxed in such a case ? Are all passengers off a flight subjected to screening by customs ? Last time I landed from DXB yeah there was a customs guy marking stuff all over my suitcase.

Opening the boxes will attract no duty hmmmmm, I guess I'll have to tell her then :( Wanted to open the xps myself.

PM me your granny's flight details. Know the head of customs at Blore Airport, can get a free pass ;)

madnav said:
granny's dont get checked much...

if caught.. 5.3% on each phone's estimated value...
Hmmmm fair enough, not a lot. Thanks for the info mate, so if I tell her to open it all up, no custom duties ?

SunnyBoi said:
PM me your granny's flight details. Know the head of customs at Blore Airport, can get a free pass ;)
:happy: TY Saar.

l33t said:
Hmmmm fair enough, not a lot. Thanks for the info mate, so if I tell her to open it all up, no custom duties ?
:happy: TY Saar.
she will be charged customs even if she opens the box. unless she proves that all of those phones belong to her.

well, that is what CAN happen and may differ with customs official.

If your granny is good at playing granny card then she wont even get checked..

I had a GPU fully-packed brought from the US via a friend once, and no duties were levied upon it, so I do not think opening the package or keeping it intact would cause much of a difference.

madnav said:
she will be charged customs even if she opens the box. unless she proves that all of those phones belong to her.

well, that is what CAN happen and may differ with customs official.

If your granny is good at playing granny card then she wont even get checked..
Basically means she'd be charged with about 5k on taxes if the granny act goes FAIL :p , and yeah seems she's landing in HYD not BLR on 15th Apr :|

Mephistopheles said:
I had a GPU fully-packed brought from the US via a friend once, and no duties were levied upon it, so I do not think opening the package or keeping it intact would cause much of a difference.

Keeping my fingers crossed :p She shouldn't get pulled over by the customs. Thats all I guess.

You are allowed to bring in one laptop free of duty. Apart from that, you can bring in goods worth 25k free of duty and the rest will attract duty. Now, depending on her luck, she might be able to get away without paying any duty. Just tell her to walk through the green channel confidently!

Sealed boxes or not doesn't make a big difference. It all depends on how confident you are and in what mood the custom official is . At times Ive walked away with good worth atleast 8-10 times the allowed allowance and there have been times when the custom guy would hold us down for even a small LCD etc. So a lot depends on the luck.

'

In your case I don't think your granny will be troubled much .Also is she traveling alone ? If not , she can fit in the listed stuff into 2-3 people's allowance. Laptop from US is duty free anyways .2-3 mobiles and 1 console is no big deal for customs . :)

FaH33m said:
Sealed boxes or not doesn't make a big difference. It all depends on how confident you are and in what mood the custom official is . At times Ive walked away with good worth atleast 8-10 times the allowed allowance and there have been times when the custom guy would hold us down for even a small LCD etc. So a lot depends on the luck.

'

In your case I don't think your granny will be troubled much .Also is she traveling alone ? If not , she can fit in the listed stuff into 2-3 people's allowance. Laptop from US is duty free anyways .2-3 mobiles and 1 console is no big deal for customs . :)

Travelling alone. I hope luck favours her, she's leaving to Houston today I guess, I'll keep you all posted :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

One thing in her favour is she is flying into BLR and not mumbai. There is a world of difference in how sharp the customs here are compared to there or even chennai for that matter.

I've narrated how i got a laptop here before they even had laws that allowed one. Two of us arrived, He carries the laptop in a normal strolley, whilst i have a pricey laptop bag as a decoy with books inside :devil2:

they x-ray hand luggage as you enter the arrivals lounge ( greedy bastards). So once it passes out my friend just grabs the bag whilst the customs official is asking where is that bag with the laptop, stops me whilst my friend has already put 50 yards between us :lol:

Easy as that.

Arun1 said:
How would one go about greasing their palms at an airport if caught?
Oh dont worry they'll ask you directly if you get caught with something big. Depending on your negotiation skills you may have to pay 10-20% of the customs amount at least

Bangalore Customs are a joke :lol:.They marked my checkin luggage which had Xbox in it ,went to the rest room cleaned the marking :p.

Customs guy asked me you have too much luggage( 2 checkin bags+2 hand luggages+cam+Laptop).I said saaar i am a first class passenger.

blr_p said:
One thing in her favour is she is flying into BLR and not mumbai. There is a world of difference in how sharp the customs here are compared to there or even chennai for that matter.

I've narrated how i got a laptop here before they even had laws that allowed one. Two of us arrived, He carries the laptop in a normal strolley, whilst i have a pricey laptop bag as a decoy with books inside :devil2:

they x-ray hand luggage as you enter the arrivals lounge ( greedy bastards). So once it passes out my friend just grabs the bag whilst the customs official is asking where is that bag with the laptop, stops me whilst my friend has already put 50 yards between us :lol:

Easy as that.

True...Mumbai customs check each and every bag on arrival exit. Green channel or no green channel...does not matter :mad:
Arun1 said:
Chivas Regal works i have heard :p

Metalspree said:
Bangalore Customs are a joke :lol:.They marked my checkin luggage which had Xbox in it ,went to the rest room cleaned the marking :p.

Customs guy asked me you have too much luggage( 2 checkin bags+2 hand luggages+cam+Laptop).I said saaar i am a first class passenger.

She's landing in Hyderabad, so lets see how that goes, I told all of this to her, she says that she'll manage :p Lets see how good her managerial skills really are :p
raksrules said:
Chivas Regal works i have heard :p
I'll get slapped if I suggest that to my granny mate :p

Tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what really happened :p

Arun1 said:
One of the things i was told is to dress well, not cheap because then they somehow do not have any respect.

When he went through my things he said $100, we spoke some more, in the end all i gave him was a $20. He said i would give $100 and i told him thats all i had. Smiles exchanged and i walked out. This was in the green channel.

Back