Custom GRUb

Skyh3ck

Adept
Hello

I installed Windows 10 and later Kali Linux..

But now I only get Kali Linux booting. Windows is still there but not showing in boot OS selecttion

Is there any utility where I can install my own GRUb boot menu or just have a simple boot menu with windows and other os installed

Hi Skyh3ck,
It appears that the window 10 was not detected in the first place by the grub installer, this may be due to a number of reasons. I would suggest to
1. Install os-prober (sudo apt-get install os-prober) and run it
2. Run update-grub, It should show the windows, if not please post back here.

If you get a chance please post the ouput of lsblk and your grub.cfg file. And did you change anything in bios(secure boot, UEIF, MBR, etc) when you installed Kali Linux?

Regards
B.Life

Easybcd .
Used it long back . Read instructions . You will be able to dual boot .
Sorry did not read you couldn't boot into windows .
So BCD is not useful .
Use grub customiser .
You have to manually enter the ppa etc .
Look it up in Linux forums .

i did os prober and update grub thing, it now shows windows 10 in the boot menu, but when i try to boot to windows 10 it just hangs for long time
only kali is working

i have reinstalled the Windows 10 as my primary os now
Post automatically merged:

ok, so installed windows 10 fresh, and created three othher partition, now i want to dual boot with Kali linux also.

last time it took 3 hours to install kali linux, is it normal

please guide me i want to keep both windows and kali on separate partition

i can use virtual, but i heard that i need a new wifi adapter if i use on VM, if its possible to use with VM i can install vm, other else please help me

also i downloaded kali and made a bootable pen drive with rufus, but i am not having live kali option only install and that too takes 3 hours to install

Last edited:
Hi Skyh3ck,
First things first, 3 hours to install dosn't sound right but then there might me something else so I need more information on your system configuration, medium used as installation source.
Regarding using Kali on virual machine, you can get a copy of the same at offensive-security.com and regarding the wifi adapter, I need its make and model number to see if they are supported, without which I cant say.
Regarding the live version, I dont know why that is the case, are you sure you got the live version?

Regards

Ok

Laptop configuration

Lenovo v130
Intel i3 8th gen
4gb DDR4RAM
1 TB HDD
optical disk, 15 inch screen
Intel dual band 7265 wifi card..

I used SanDisk cruzer 8 gb pen drive.

I downloaded the first file from the Kali download site the installer one of 3 gb

..the inbuilt wifi card supports monitor mode..

Now I have installed the windows back and created three more partition one is for Kali and one for Ubuntu or mint and one for data..

Windows is installed.. now which one should I install next Kali or Ubuntu...

Also if Kali works with live USB I don't want to install it I can use from pen drive.. but again there is no option to boot into live mode..

This for learning ethical hacking.
Post automatically merged:

Why it takes so long to install 3 hours

Hi Skyh3ck,
Regarding Live version, the second download link at https://www.kali.org/downloads is the one you are supposed to get ( Kali Linux 64-Bit (Live) at 2.9GB) not the installer one.
Regarding the time to install,
1. Did you try to install every package in the installer?
2. Did you connect to internet to download any packages during installation?
3. At what stage does your installation takes the longest? During the installation press ALT+CTRL+F1 and see what is happening, this will give you an idea, there are couple of reasons that might be at fault.
Regarding installing Windows, Kali Linux, Ubuntu Linux, the first is to install Windows(as you have donw), then you can install it in any order, it dosn't matter bacause the grub is the same in both the distributions.
Regarding the wifi card, it appears your card is supported so try it first on the live version and then decide.

Regards

Back