Customs Duty on Motorola Xoom tablet?

DirtDiver

Disciple
Hey everybody, my dad has purchased a Motorola Xoom(wifi model) for 599$ in USA and he will be returning in another 15 days or so. I am worried if there will any crazy high tax imposed on it when he lands in India:huh:. Please enlightem me. This the first time he is getting any electronics from US.

Thanks for helping..:)

AFAIK as long as he is carrying it physically with him, he can claim it to be a laptop and i doubt they would have an issue but please do confirm with other members

If you don't want to throw the box, then keep the box and the actual tablet in separate luggages (or box in check-in luggage and tablet in hand) and you should be fine!

I took a laptop to India ( net book to be precise) , Just carry the laptop/any eletronic items without the box, it should be fine. If its with box, there is a limit of 30-50 k worth items.
DirtDiver said:
Hey everybody, my dad has purchased a Motorola Xoom(wifi model) for 599$ in USA and he will be returning in another 15 days or so. I am worried if there will any crazy high tax imposed on it when he lands in India:huh:. Please enlightem me. This the first time he is getting any electronics from US.

Thanks for helping..:)

You are allowed to take one laptop worth 35k without paying any duty. So just inform the custom guys that its a laptop (in case they question your dad). Since the tablet is priced at $599 its well within the 35k limit. :)

Thanks a lot for quick replies.

Basically if my dad puts the box in luggage and carries the tablet in his hand bag on the plane it will be ok, right?

And if i could get conformation on the 35k limit for laptops/tablets it will be great..

Thanks again.

My 2 cents:

1. Chuck the box, just keep the charger/cable/documentation in the check-in baggage and the tablet in the hand baggage (or carry)

2. PLEASE have your dad get a good case and screen protector for it!

Enjoy the Xoom! :)

thetoxicmind said:
My 2 cents:

1. Chuck the box, just keep the charger/cable/documentation in the check-in baggage and the tablet in the hand baggage (or carry)

2. PLEASE have your dad get a good case and screen protector for it!

Enjoy the Xoom! :)

Ya..i tell him to throw the case..and yes when he ordered the Xoom online, i made sure he got a screen guard(pack of 3) + official Motorola gel case.

Thanks for replying..

Back