Audio Cyber Acoustics A3780 vs Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 vs MX5021

P.Ping Tom

Disciple
Awright guys, I'm planning on completely upgrading my system, possibly even buying a whole new one. One part of that is to get a brand new speaker set-up. The ones I'm looking at are

1. Altec Lansing MX5021 (long-time TE fav, seems to have fallen a bit recently)
2. Cyber Acoustics A3780 (I like it teh loud!)
3. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX

Possible 4th contender - Logitech Z - Cinema (I hear the boos already)

What I'd like to know, especially from the resident TE audiophiles, is -

a) Are the Cyber Acoustics and Klipsch speakers available in Bombay, and if so, where?

b) Where's the best place for me to go so that I can have a LISTEN to all of them?

c) Are the oft-lately repeated concerns about the MX5021 quality justified? (Sangram - will really appreciate your input on this)

d) Whats the best price I can expect to pay for these? (Sorry - I know this one's been done to death).

Thank you all in advance. More details of my upgrade to follow in relevant threads :D

I am not sure if ProMedia 2.1 is still available. Check with Gautam Agencies, Pune. You will get the contact info from Klipsch site

MX5021 costs around 6.4k

P.Ping Tom said:
Will contact the agency in Pune thx. Any idea which shop in B'bay is selling MX5021 for 6.4k?

i wud suggest to test the mx5021 u get before u purchase it...quality of mx has deteriorated substantially.....i bought newly manufactured sept 08 and m regreting on sub's performance. Mostly trying to try out a replacement but i dont think it wud make a difference. The sub wen volume is powered more than 50-60% begins to feel like its hitting something. The whole punch is gone.:mad:

(Sangram - will really appreciate your input on this)

I really have no idea.

I haven't bought a pair of MX myself so it's only heresey.

However going by the word on these (and other forums) you'd be advised to look elsewhere for a bullet-proof purchase. If you still want to risk it, the SQ may still be higher than the competitors.

Sorry for not being more helpful.

WingZero said:
i wud suggest to test the mx5021 u get before u purchase it...quality of mx has deteriorated substantially.....i bought newly manufactured sept 08 and m regreting on sub's performance. Mostly trying to try out a replacement but i dont think it wud make a difference. The sub wen volume is powered more than 50-60% begins to feel like its hitting something. The whole punch is gone.:mad:
I had almost decided on MX but now you put me in a fix:S whether to really go for it.. since I don't how it performed earlier, I will not be able to judge now

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I am going to try and find a place where I can listen to these before I make up my mind, although I don't know of any as yet. Can anyone else help me out with regards to price/availability of the Cyber Acoustics/Klipsch/Logitech?

Klipsch pro-media costs around 12K (including shipping to B'lore). And MX costs around 6.5K. I have not auditioned Klispch ProMedia? Can anyone shed some light:)
Also, is 6.5K+4% for MX fair-n-reasonable?

prasadr said:
Klipsch pro-media costs around 12K (including shipping to B'lore). And MX costs around 6.5K. I have not auditioned Klispch ProMedia? Can anyone shed some light:)

6.5% + 4% :O :O,It's cheaper in Chennai got mine for 6.2K (Including taxes)

Guys .. , where can i find Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 or Audio Engine 2 in Delhi ?

Also please suggest a sound card for around 3k for either Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX or MX 5021 /AE 2

udayrulz said:
Guys .. , where can i find Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 or Audio Engine 2 in Delhi ?
Also please suggest a sound card for around 3k for either Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX or MX 5021 /AE 2
Uday,
Klipsch promedia is available only at Gautam Agencies, Pune and they will ship anywhere in India. You get the contact details from Klipsch site.

Although I haven't heard them yet, I don't think I can go for the mx5021 based on the apparentely sizable number of not-so-good reviews its getting. Will definitely audition them if I can, but I'm not willing to take the risk if having to buy it and wait a few weeks before they get broken in so that they 'might' sound as good as they're supposed to. I would love to go for the AE2 if I could include it in my budget - let's see. As of now it's between the Klipsch THX and the Cyber Acoustics - can anyone tell me where the latter is available?

I do know that MX has issues but they are great speakers for the money,the best thing you could do is purchase the MX test them in the store for some time like 20 ~30 mins then pick them up.I would reccomend to do this to all who are gonna purchase the MX but for this to happen u need to have good rapport with the dealer :p

^^ True. That's what my concern is. Ideally I'd like to audition all the set-ups I'm interested in before buying. Let's see *shrug*

Btw recommendations as to where I can actually listen to any of these are most welcome :)

Contact any of the Mumbai member u should be able to audition them.I guess Sangram sirji would welcome you D ,and more over u can have a look at his modded MX and he is one of the audiophile here.

The ProMedia are a wonderful set, but for 12.5k seem a lot overpriced.
They are loud, and fairly responsive and I would prefer them over the MX.

I did hear to the promedia bult felt they lack the kind of bass i need and moreover they cost 12.5K, for that amount i can get a pair of MX and make it as 4.2 :D .Not sure how they are gonna sound ,can some one throw light one the same??

prasadr said:

as far as i know gautam never had the promedia, are you sure it was not the GMX ?

bottle said:
as far as i know gautam never had the promedia, are you sure it was not the GMX ?

Come to think of it, AFAIK, the Promedia 2.1 were never made for anything other than the 110v market. He probably is talking about the GMX, considering he wasnt satisfied with the bass :p. The sub on the Promedia 2.1 is pretty good.

Back