Cycling - An expensive hobby?

I bought a montra 24 incher for my kid and drove it couple of times. All I could say was...hoky crap!! I enjoyed my hero Ranger more, when I was young. Even with gears, it's too much of an effort to drive a mountain bike on the road. My kid was adamant that he wanted one with gears and this is the one I bought (alloy body nd stuff, thinking that it'd be lighter than the steel counterparts).

I don't think I would want to drive one. It's good for show off but not good enough for commuting.

I bought a montra 24 incher for my kid and drove it couple of times. All I could say was...hoky crap!! I enjoyed my hero Ranger more, when I was young. Even with gears, it's too much of an effort to drive a mountain bike on the road. My kid was adamant that he wanted one with gears and this is the one I bought (alloy body nd stuff, thinking that it'd be lighter than the steel counterparts).

I don't think I would want to drive one. It's good for show off but not good enough for commuting.
Don't buy MTBs for cycling on road, MTBs are more like SUVs of cycling world, meant for serious off roading experience. Unfortunately SUVs are equipped with powerful engines, but in cycling, you are the engine ; the extra effort to propel the heavy frame and large tire friction ruins the fun associated cycling.

BTW, I bought a used Firefox road runner pro V (hybrid) , with accessories(including the helmet) under 10k, currently enjoying the experience. I'll upgrade to a serious road bike around ~50k, if I keep enjoying the stuff at least for a year or so. Thanks for your valuable suggestions, I was much helped with discussions on Tbhp, India bikeszone forum & choosemybicycle.com.

Just a small comment in case any of you still reads this. Do not buy the Hero Trax cycle. I mentioned that my little brother got one a few months ago. Well the rear tube along with the tyre burst while I was trying to ride it (to a gaming cafe). The front tyre is also already in bad shape. The bike is taken good care of. :/

I would blame both actually, cycle company mainly. Who replaces tyres on cycles just after buying them new or buy cycles without tyres? Makes no sense. This is not a DIY.

Bumping this old thread. What are the current suggestions for a good bicycle in the 10k range? It would be used for riding on tarmac mostly. Not really for riding trails or mountain biking, etc.

This

Attachments

• 1552734018060.jpg
    1552734018060.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 1552734024567.jpg
    1552734024567.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 229
^ frankly I've used my father's Hercules for about a decade ..
still have it in a similar condition (rusted to heavy rains) shown above !

Bumping this old thread. What are the current suggestions for a good bicycle in the 10k range? It would be used for riding on tarmac mostly. Not really for riding trails or mountain biking, etc.

What about a hybrid bike? This btwin going for 7999 on their site.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8387218_riverside-100-hybrid-cycle.html#/1140-457-l_1m75_1m80

Edit: looks like its heavy.
The Small bicycle weighs 13.9 kgs, the medium is 14.1 kgs and the large is 14.3kgs. This bicycle has a rigid steel fork.

https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/woc/expert-reviews/btwin-riverside-100-2018-review

Back