D-Link DSL-2750U (Modem+Router) for BSNL broadband?

The D Link 2750U model seems to have recd an upgrade a while back.
The antennas are different and hence signal strength now is 2 x 5 dBi.

However, many have been experiencing issues with their wi fi connectivity. Something like if anybody gets their modem rebooted (voltage fluctuation etc), the router gets a stable Wi Fi link LED glowing back again, but the internet connection is lost.

Any known remedies for this?
EDIT: The DSL guys replaced the model, still it persists.
The earlier hardware version was U1, Now he has C1 model.

Question: Has anybody been comparing the new 2750U Vs Tp Link 8968? if yes, pls do pour in the thoughts..

Last edited:
Couple of walls (11 inch or 6 inch?) and ~30 feet means tp-link w8961 or 8968 (3G+USB) is better. You could even upgrade those antennas if necessary. You will get about half the signal with a mobile and better with the laptop.

Also your laptop will benefit from the N300 if not the mobile. Get a N300 instead of N150, you will still be within your budget.

Do you have any wifi routers at all at present ?
sir regarding wifi range please help me choose between the two : dlink 2750u or tp link w8968

sir regarding wifi range please help me choose between the two : dlink 2750u or tp link w8968

Both are offering models with 2 x 5dBi antennas and will theoretically have the same range.

I would rather suggest you to concentrate and look up on reliability factor of D Link 2750u. Ever since the revision took place and the 5dBi antenna model made its debut, the horror stories for the model havent ceased.
TP Link w8968 on the other hand has been flawless with its reports. Apart from this, TP Link has better service norms (replacement coming in promptly and sending brand new pieces instead of refurbished ones, which is the policy of D Link)

I am using one, and the range is excellent, and i keep my router powered on 24x7.
Keeping in mind the performance, after sales service record and durability, it is more advisable to go for TP Link.

Both are offering models with 2 x 5dBi antennas and will theoretically have the same range.

I would rather suggest you to concentrate and look up on reliability factor of D Link 2750u. Ever since the revision took place and the 5dBi antenna model made its debut, the horror stories for the model havent ceased.
TP Link w8968 on the other hand has been flawless with its reports. Apart from this, TP Link has better service norms (replacement coming in promptly and sending brand new pieces instead of refurbished ones, which is the policy of D Link)

I am using one, and the range is excellent, and i keep my router powered on 24x7.
Keeping in mind the performance, after sales service record and durability, it is more advisable to go for TP Link.
thanku sir , hope it helps

@Spacescreamer

I just came back from reliance digital today and was almost ready to buy the 2750u!but then I thought I will conduct a bit more research

I am in then same boat as many others in the thread and I am really tired of my teracom type 2 modem router provided by Bsnl 5 years ago .
The tplink w8968 looks good. But if someone who I owns it can kindly answer my following queries :

1) I understand it has a single USB port. So is the same port used for HDD sharing and for connecting a 3g modem ?

2) will all huawei data cards work ? And does then router allow you to choose a primary and a fall back connection ? And can the two be combined to get a faster connection n?

3. ) does this particular router have dd wrt support ?

I am in then same boat as many others in the thread and I am really tired of my teracom type 2 modem router provided by Bsnl 5 years ago

1) Yes. Single USB port only.
2) I stay away from huawei and other chinese stuff (this modem router is the only aberration in my possession.)
But as per google and other reviews which i read over fk/amazon.in, the W8968 doesnt recognizes all the huawei data cards.
3) Nope

Oh Ok, bummer for me. Anyways some reviews on fk say that the USB sharing speed is limited to 2 mbps . is it enough to stream 1080p videos ? Also considering that the router will be connected to a few more devices ?

Also fk has the rev1 8968 with 3dbi antennae , should I go the eBay way?

Oh Ok, bummer for me. Anyways some reviews on fk say that the USB sharing speed is limited to 2 mbps . is it enough to stream 1080p videos ? Also considering that the router will be connected to a few more devices ?

Also fk has the rev1 8968 with 3dbi antennae , should I go the eBay way?

Dont be too concerned about the router strength. They havent been updating their profile page it seems.
It has been ages since the Ver 2 has been in circulation. Also, FK replaces the router if they send you ver 1.
I think @alekhkhanna has got Ver 3 now, from FK itself.

About the streaming, it really depends upon the codecs used on the file. If you are thinking of streaming full BR file, i dont think it ll be able to accomplish that. Tbh, i suggest a dedicated NAS, as there have been issues even while streaming 720p files with good bitrates. So thinking about full 1080p is gonna be asking a bit too much.

It has been ages since i tried the streaming via this router. I gen am happy with 720p files played via tiny usb drive off TV directly. So i shunned this streaming business since quite a while now.

Dont be too concerned about the router strength. They havent been updating their profile page it seems.
It has been ages since the Ver 2 has been in circulation. Also, FK replaces the router if they send you ver 1.
I think @alekhkhanna has got Ver 3 now, from FK itself.

About the streaming, it really depends upon the codecs used on the file. If you are thinking of streaming full BR file, i dont think it ll be able to accomplish that. Tbh, i suggest a dedicated NAS, as there have been issues even while streaming 720p files with good bitrates. So thinking about full 1080p is gonna be asking a bit too much.

It has been ages since i tried the streaming via this router. I gen am happy with 720p files played via tiny usb drive off TV directly. So i shunned this streaming business since quite a while now.
I have the V2. Got it 2 weeks back from FK. V2/3 is more on luck when shopping online. V3 has a chipset change too. I don't think any vendor has V1 stock anymore.
Streamed 720p rips to my lappy without any issue. 2 MBPS is the writing speed IIRC, so if you wanna transfer a file over network to the hdd, it's gonna be painfully slow.

The write speed was about 1800Kb/s the last time i checked, while read was about somewhere 2500-3000 Kb/s

I think the last firmware upgrade came with spl provisions/optimization for video streaming only.
As i wasnt interested in it, i didnt bothered. So a good chance that the issue i faced is gone (it really did seemed like f.w related issue.)

I really suggest getting info on full HD streaming as well. It may be doing that as well now after last update.

The D Link 2750U model seems to have recd an upgrade a while back.
The antennas are different and hence signal strength now is 2 x 5 dBi.

However, many have been experiencing issues with their wi fi connectivity. Something like if anybody gets their modem rebooted (voltage fluctuation etc), the router gets a stable Wi Fi link LED glowing back again, but the internet connection is lost.

Any known remedies for this?
EDIT: The DSL guys replaced the model, still it persists.
The earlier hardware version was U1, Now he has C1 model.

Question: Has anybody been comparing the new 2750U Vs Tp Link 8968? if yes, pls do pour in the thoughts..
I bought the D-Link DSL-2750U from FK couple of days ago. Latest version comes with 2 x 5 dBi antennas (earlier it was 2 x 3 dBi). I can see some design changes as well, especially the graphics. WiFi seems to be working fine. I'm using this router with airtel broadband and everything seems to be working well.

There's one thing which I noticed. The user manual says that the green WiFi light is supposed to blink whenever there's any WiFi activity. However, in my case the green WiFi light just glows all the time. No blinking whatsoever. Maybe it's a bug or maybe they forgot to update their documentation. Anyone else experiencing this issue/feature?

My friend bought same D-Link DSL-2750U and he have BSNL connection and tried everything and googled but nothing worked, but connection is establish through laptop dial-up but on router configuration the status of internet is "Disconnect" and mobile got connected to Wi-Fi but internet is not working, i guess some advance setting needs to done in gateway or something IDK, so anyone have guide or setup configuration that would be great..TIA :)

My friend bought same D-Link DSL-2750U and he have BSNL connection and tried everything and googled but nothing worked, but connection is establish through laptop dial-up but on router configuration the status of internet is "Disconnect" and mobile got connected to Wi-Fi but internet is not working, i guess some advance setting needs to done in gateway or something IDK, so anyone have guide or setup configuration that would be great..TIA :)

Did your friend put his BSNL username and password correctly? The same thing happened to me when I was installing the router on an MTNL connection, put an incorrect password and the lat light which shows actual connectivity kept glowing red. I called up my local MTNL office and asked for my account username and password and the modem worked fine after that.

Back