D-Link DSL-2750U (Modem+Router) for BSNL broadband?

DarkAngel

Skilled
I am planning to get BSNL Broadband (ULD 950 plan) and they are out of modems.

So is the D-Link DSL-2750U a good choice for a BSNL connection? Its available for ~2.2k or so online.

Carpet Area : 900 sq.ft

The signal has to pass through couple of walls and still it should be good. (~30 feet)

Will connect couple of laptops and mobile to the wifi. It should be stable. Sometimes it might run continuously for couple of days.

Another option I am considering is the TP-LINK TD-W8951ND ~ 1.5k!

My budget is around 2k. Is there any better alternatives in that range? Looking quick responses since I have booked the BB today and will get the connection in 4-5 days.

Couple of walls (11 inch or 6 inch?) and ~30 feet means tp-link w8961 or 8968 (3G+USB) is better. You could even upgrade those antennas if necessary. You will get about half the signal with a mobile and better with the laptop.

Also your laptop will benefit from the N300 if not the mobile. Get a N300 instead of N150, you will still be within your budget.

Do you have any wifi routers at all at present ?

Btw, i am getting 512kbps speeds (Noida) on the same plan as you have opted for. Reason is a bit cheerful though..
They are testing the lines for 1-2 days, as they plan to Increase the speeds! :)

When will the result/implementation show up, the CC guy didnt say. Just a heads up.

Couple of walls (11 inch or 6 inch?) and ~30 feet means tp-link w8961 or 8968 (3G+USB) is better. You could even upgrade those antennas if necessary. You will get about half the signal with a mobile and better with the laptop.

Also your laptop will benefit from the N300 if not the mobile. Get a N300 instead of N150, you will still be within your budget.

Do you have any wifi routers at all at present ?

The walls are 8" thick. Might keep the router in a more central place which is about 20 feet away. In that case will the D-Link be sufficient?
Currently not using any router. New broadband connection in a new place.

The DLink is also N300 i guess. But TP Link seems cost efficient w8961 @ Rs.1770 from FK. Only con from the reviews seems they dont have any service centers in India. Have you previously used their products and if so any feedback on them?[DOUBLEPOST=1372180902][/DOUBLEPOST]Came across the ASUS DSL-N10E while browsing. Looks promising even though its N150. Since its Asus support would be better and also I can get it for ~1.65k from infibeam using 10% off coupon.

Is anyone using this model with BSNL? Will probably have to order on by noon tomorrow.

@Crazy_Eddy - So the TP Link one is better than the Asus? Which one would you recommend out of the three or are there better modem+routers in that range?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the Ralink chipset in the TP-Link is better than the Realtek in the Asus. Not sure of other options, but I guess the W8961 should be good. BTW it says its 2.3K on flipkart?

Edit: Just saw that the DSL-2750U uses a Broadcom chipset. Should be a good option as well.

Edit: Just saw that the DSL-2750U uses a Broadcom chipset. Should be a good option as well.
Problem is i cannot find any other routers that use that same chipset and have been benchmarked on SNB. So hard to say what the performance is like.

@guest_999 could you comment here about 2750u vs w8961 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is i cannot find any other routers that use that same chipset and have been benchmarked on SNB.
There's a typo on the wikidevi site. Its a BCM43225, also used in the Linksys X2000. Although I'm not sure its wise to compare across router models even with the same wireless chip since hardware implementation, antenna, firmware, all play a role.

I have being using DLink 2750 to be honest its a ok router after using it for 1 year at times when the router is on for more than 24 hours its restarting then i have to turnoff and start again kinda annoying so I'm myself looking for alternatives

Is it worth spending Rs.600(~32%more) or so more for the 8968 just for the Ewan and USB. I don't think I have use for them both anyways.
Is anyone currently using TP Link modems with BSNL? Usually the BSNL line is noisy at times, right? Will it be able to handle it?

Well, it's just a future proof solution as 3G prices are going down. Just as a backup solution. Rs. 500/- extra is VFM. Isn't it?

And many peoples are using that router with BSNL, also other models of TP-Link like 8951 and 8961 over here and other forums. I'm not aware of any such problems.

Still it's better to wait for someone using TP Link models with BSNL.

Yeah the Ralink chipset in the TP-Link is better than the Realtek in the Asus. Not sure of other options, but I guess the W8961 should be good. BTW it says its 2.3K on flipkart?

Thanks. Just check in other sellers. WS Retail (I think this is flipkart's own) is selling it for Rs.1770! Its like Amazon now with same item from various sellers.[DOUBLEPOST=1372239476][/DOUBLEPOST]Ordered the TP Link W8968 for ~2.36k from ebay. Read up a little on eWAN and hope to use it in future with cable provider like Beam/ACT.

Thanks everyone for chipping in with suggestions :)

There's a typo on the wikidevi site. Its a BCM43225, also used in the Linksys X2000. Although I'm not sure its wise to compare across router models even with the same wireless chip since hardware implementation, antenna, firmware, all play a role.
Ah, then the 2750U uses the same chip as the 2750B. The biggest problem with the comparison is the x200 is an internal antenna vs external antenna for the d-link. Next, the radio power amplifiers used might be different giving different output. Firmware is more important in terms of run-time performance how stable etc its not going to affect the reception as much as hardware.

But here it is anyway as a rough approximation :D

x2000 is the d-link and the engenius is the w8961. engenius/w8961 are both ext antenna models.

Think of location C as one wall and location D as two walls. As far as the OP is concerned, i expect that empirically the difference is small between the two and i think anybody with experience with both of them would say the same.

I'd prefer w8961 over 2750u.

Is it worth spending Rs.600(~32%more) or so more for the 8968 just for the Ewan and USB. I don't think I have use for them both anyways.
Your choice. its not really required if you do not need 3G option.

Is anyone currently using TP Link modems with BSNL? Usually the BSNL line is noisy at times, right? Will it be able to handle it?
If the line is noisy then only set g.dmt settings and disable any adsl/adsl2 setting in the modem section. This means you max download from BSNL will be no more than 2-3Mbs. Distance between your location and the exchange matters, noisy line should be reported and fixed. There is very little you can on your side.

The walls are 8" thick. Might keep the router in a more central place which is about 20 feet away. In that case will the D-Link be sufficient?

Currently not using any router. New broadband connection in a new place.
A central location that cuts two walls to one wall will help. But it really depends on what you are doing with wifi. If its just browsing the web you need 1-2Mbs then it won't make too much
difference. Streaming movies or browsing 2-4Mb photos is a different matter. Actually you've not said what you will be using wifi for. What apps and what bandwidth do they require ?

Ordered the TP Link W8968 for ~2.36k from ebay. Read up a little on eWAN and hope to use it in future with cable provider like Beam/ACT.

Thanks everyone for chipping in with suggestions :)
Oh yes i forgot about ewan, if you want dual purpose adsl/cable wallah then ewan is a must-have feature.

Posted about it here earlier.

Three models to consider.

TD-W8960N
TD-W8968 (also supports 3G)
TD-W8970 (gigabit ports) +3G

Which makes the w8968 a pretty good all round router. d-link does not have anything in this price range.

Performance is really good. I myself bought this router 2 weeks ago, and suggested here :)

I was using BSNL Broadband and now shifted to Airtel, so was looking for a new router, as they will take the Type II Nokia Siemens WiFi Router given by them.

Back