Android Dbl press power button launches camera or calls the police ?

blr_p

Skilled
Given the govt mandated a panic button on all phones by 2017 I was curious to find out how well it has been taken up by various vendors.

Since marshmallow a dbl press of the power button is supposed to launch the camera on all androids from screen off. In theory. My LG V20 for instance launches camera on a dbl press of the vol down button. Not power button. Been that way with the G4 i had earlier as well. Was chatting with some one who had a Huawei P20 and thanks to this Indian requirement this phone will also only launch camera with the volume down button instead of the std dbl press of power. And this is the case on the global rom as well.

Seems similar with oneplus too, a dbl press of the power button will not launch the camera as its too similar to the panic call which is a triple press of the power button. How do you launch the camera from screen off on a oneplus then, is it also vol down dbl press ?

So which phones sold in India with Marshmallow or better launch the camera with a dbl press of the power button ? mention the model# and OS it has

Check in your settings whether this option is available as it could be default disabled

Last edited:
pressing volume down twice thing in Redmi Note 5. I disabled it because theres another way - just click power button once and swipe to right to get camera from lock screen.

pressing volume down twice thing in Redmi Note 5. I disabled it because theres another way - just click power button once and swipe to right to get camera from lock screen.
You are saying the default way to launch the camera on the redmi note 5 is a dbl press of the vol. down button ?

So that is the third chinese manufacturer in addition to Huawe & oneplus that isn't following google's guidelines.

I don't think there is any requirement from GOI specifically that emergency call be activated by triple press of the power button. Just that there be a facility to make emergency calls in a suitable manner.

But it would appear that these companies are interpreting it to be like that.

You are saying the default way to launch the camera on the redmi note 5 is a dbl press of the vol. down button ?
yes.

Google does not follow their own guidelines. Their apps like youtube etc are not even adhering to material guidelines they were forcing on developers.

same page you linked:

Q. What about other triggers such as triple-pressing the power button?

Device manufacturers may choose to implement additional triggers. However, while the Indian DoT approves triple-tapping the hardware power button, this trigger is not supported in the AOSP reference implementation as some widely used applications (e.g. the Camera app) use power button gestures that include repeated tapping of the power button. Such applications might interfere with the emergency dialer or the user may accidentally trigger the panic button while trying to trigger actions in these applications.

Pixel 2 XL - launches the camera. Have started liking this, hated this earlier in the Mi A1...

8.0/8.1/9 on the XL2, while 8.0/8.1 on the A1....

Pixel 2 XL - launches the camera. Have started liking this, hated this earlier in the Mi A1...

8.0/8.1/9 on the XL2, while 8.0/8.1 on the A1....
Ah, so both 2XL & Mi A1 stick to google's guidelines then.

What is it then to make the emergency call on pixel & Mi A1 ? triple power button press or long press and you get that emergency call option

Ah, so both 2XL & Mi A1 stick to google's guidelines then.

What is it then to make the emergency call on pixel & Mi A1 ? triple power button press or long press and you get that emergency call option

Any amount of presses over 2 open the camera only. Honestly, triple press is stupid, they need to look at another option, because you might accidentally triple press instead of double (even sometimes double press happens accidentally)

I think thats because of Android One - all have those guidelines to follow....

Any amount of presses over 2 open the camera only. Honestly, triple press is stupid, they need to look at another option, because you might accidentally triple press instead of double (even sometimes double press happens accidentally)

I think thats because of Android One - all have those guidelines to follow....
The power down is a quick way to launch the camera. Imagine if you watching youtube or streaming and wanted to suddenly open the camera. With power down, playback pauses and camera launches instantly. The vol down won't work here. The V20 has a double screen so there is a camera icon on top to click.

Was trying this with oneplus and oppo's F7, A83. There is no quick launch with buttons. Only gestures. Power down or vol down do nothing. Here you have to either trace an O or V shape and the camera launches from screen off

Back