Debit card fraud .... Help

My friend got looted by some phone fraudsters , they called him saying they are from icici and his debit card is gone to expire soon and has to be reissued and that he will receive a pin that he has to validate . poor fellow just gave the pin and within seconds they made two purchase and he lost 7K . He got an sms with VIN*WWW MoBIKWI . I told him to block the card immediately and complain at local police station and bank . and it seems both are not that helpful in this issue ,police is saying that things like this happen and its difficult to catch them . And bank is not willing to give him the transaction details . Could someone suggest what actions he should take .

The transaction seems to be done on mobikwik website. Probably they must have added the cash to their mobikwik wallet. Your friend could probably mail to their customer care with details, although I'm pretty sure they will not give a damn. Of course, blocking the card is the first sane thing to do.

One question u need to have a OTP orVisa/Master Password to do the transaction, One cannot use the debit card without these 2 thing really don't know how they did it.

Edit- Looks like they already had his card details and just wanted the OTP as they were doing the transaction at that time when they called him.

Last edited:
He never used it for net purchases and he dont have much idea of net banking the said he his card is going to expire and he will be receiving a pin number and he believed them and gave the pin . today he will be registering a complaint with Cyber cell palakkad .

One question u need to have a OTP orVisa/Master Password to do the transaction, One cannot use the debit card without these 2 thing really don't know how they did it.

Edit- Looks like they already had his card details and just wanted the OTP as they were doing the transaction at that time when they called him.
Which means that the perpetrator had access to the card (or its no.) including the CVV of the victim.
@OP File a complaint with the mobile no. that was used to call your friend. Somebody close to your friend is involved.

I got a phone call asking me to give debit card details otherwise the card would be blocked.
There must be a system to put these people behind the bars.

He never used it for net purchases and he dont have much idea of net banking the said he his card is going to expire and he will be receiving a pin number and he believed them and gave the pin . today he will be registering a complaint with Cyber cell palakkad .

There is a good chance that some bank employees are involved in the fraud. There are too many incidents of bank employees being involved in bank related frauds happening.

At my former workplace, a SBI employee posing as a credit card marketing agent collected documents from employees in the name of offering a life time free credit card. He used the documents and managed to get credit cards for himself and used them for purchases and cash and later disappeared. He was apparently indeed a SBI bank employee, but had nothing to do with the credit card division. SBI released an advisory stating names and phone numbers of couple of authentic agents asked people not to deal with anybody else even if they have SBI ID card.

most probably the card no and cvv details are stolen in some restaurent or some other place where sonone gets a chance to get a photo of card no and other details. i heard that a solution ti this problem is to keep the cvv code hidden using some sticker or something. this way you can keep the cvv hidden and still use it from memory.

My friend got looted by some phone fraudsters , they called him saying they are from icici and his debit card is gone to expire soon and has to be reissued and that he will receive a pin that he has to validate . poor fellow just gave the pin and within seconds they made two purchase and he lost 7K . He got an sms with VIN*WWW MoBIKWI . I told him to block the card immediately and complain at local police station and bank . and it seems both are not that helpful in this issue ,police is saying that things like this happen and its difficult to catch them . And bank is not willing to give him the transaction details . Could someone suggest what actions he should take .
Please contact the persons in the below mentioned site 1st:
http://www.icicibank.com/complaints/complaints.page

If your friend is not satisfied then he can write to the Banking Ombudsman under RBI which directs the concerned bank to redress your friends complaint:
https://secweb.rbi.org.in/BO/precompltindex.htm

Below is the faqs related to any complaints against any bank in India which are under RBI naturally:
http://www.rbi.org.in/commonman/English/scripts/againstbankfaqs.aspx

Copy of complaint written to RBI against any Bank:
http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/bankingombudsman.aspx

Cyber Cell of Kerala:
http://keralapolice.org/newsite/cyber_cell_contacts.html

Hi-Tech Crime Enquiry Cell:
http://keralapolice.org/newsite/contact_hitech.html

Is there a way to file a charge back/dispute as we do with the credit card ? There should be coz one can file dispute with credit card then why not debit card.

Like most people here have said, file a police complaint, cyber crime cell complaint and dispute the charge with the bank as fraudulent. If required get help from a lawyer, the bank should reverse the charge. There is a good chance that the bank will reverse the charges.

I got a phone call asking me to give debit card details otherwise the card would be blocked.
There must be a system to put these people behind the bars.
I also got a call , guy had bihari accent , i told him i know what he is up to & not call me again, then he changed his tone started threatening me .

Here was a similar experience that happened to me :
I got a call from a person (unknown number) claiming to be from my "Bank" -> Big Red Flag!
Asked him which bank and he said the one I use with my Credit Card lol!
I randomly told him ICICI and he asked me for my Card Details and ATM pin without which my ATM card would be "blocked" LMAO!
I told him to go ahead and block my card since I don't know how to use it and said the Bank Sucked...Call Cut :p

I realized that this was how many innocent people get duped for big amounts of their hard-earned money.
We won't be able to stop this but we can definitely keep our elders and innocent friends aware and informed about this to protect them from the baddies.

Few quick ways :
use temporary cards whenever possible (eg: Virtual Credit Card,free of cost,temporary,no loss of money :) )
use Prepaid Gift Cards (especially for elders who might not be aware about using debit cards and fraud protection)
use Cash/Gift Vouchers/Coupons.

Even if someone has your debit card pin, what can it be used for without the plastic card....? I have noticed vendors blatantly stare when people punch in their PINs on the data capture machines.

It's easy to clone a card these days.ATMs are being rigged with better quality tools which might fool even the most aware consumer (like you and me).
Any private information can be misued AFAIK.We can't stop the frauds completely but being aware can definitely limit them to a huge extent IMHO.

Even if someone has your debit card pin, what can it be used for without the plastic card....? I have noticed vendors blatantly stare when people punch in their PINs on the data capture machines.

Back