Budget 31-40k Decently powered Laptop for occasional CAD & photoshop with SSD cd mount and minimum an i5?

• Between 31K - 40K, (laptop), 10k (SSD & CD mount)
  • Maybe an i5? , 8 gb ram requisite for applications, 1gb or 2gb dedicated graphics
  • Autocad, Photoshop, Revit & the other usual uses
  • 15 - 15.6" , anti glare, Widescreen, Matte,
  • Don't have many preferences but don't like the design of Asus and the shiny brands. I like thinness and cannot afford chic macbook pros
  • Rem. this is not a replacement for a desktop or workstation as we already have 4 of those in office. This is for occasional use only and should be able to gracefully handle files and will not be used for 8 hours everyday, maybe 1 or 2 max and that also not everyday.
Now here is what i propose to do with it, i want to get the CD drive out and install an SSD mount in it and purchase a 128 or 256 gb SSD for the OS and crucial apps. More than the processor i believe this can give a significant performance boost to the computer. The revit files and photoshop files we use are significantly heavy at times.

Another idea i had was to go for the below (although it is above my budget)
Lenovo B50-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) (59-434775)

so what do you guys think! and thanks in advance

Last edited:
you will not a get a workstation laptop at that budget. they go up over 1 lakh minimum.

Hi Rhyansy, thanks for the reply. This is not a replacement for a workstation, i need to use it at home or when travelling, or on site. Occasional use, We already have xeons and i5's desktops in our office.

the 3 main things you are looking for are
a) good amount of ram - check (plus you can always add more)
b) good drive performance - check (ssd upgrade)
c) good graphics - this is where there is a problem. for proper workstation gpus like quadro etc. the laptops are over a lakh. you could consider a gaming gpu but the ones in budget laptops might not be up to the task since they use low end chips like an 840m in most.

Thanks Rhyansy and Crapmypants. The desktops we have one of them has got a quadro in it. I know for hardcore work we need workstation quality graphic cards, but we are currently able to manage without in the others.

I guess i will have to live the poor graphic card and the performance it gives me. This will not be my desktop replacement.

Back