Deciding between 2 laptops

abhayvir

Recruit
hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a new notebook. I have zeroed down my choice to these 2:

Dell Studio 15- Core i5-530M, 4GB RAM, 1GB ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 500GB HDD, 15.6" full HD WLED screen. @ Rs. 51,589/- (Dell website price)

Acer 5740G- Core i3-330M, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 512MB ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 15.6" BkLit screen. @ Rs.40,999/- (e-bay price)

Q#1- I know Acer service is pathetic, but I've been using Acer for last 5 years and love the machines, so is it wise to change to Dell?

Q#2- Is the Acer 5740G available with Core-i5? Because at Triffin Technologies (Acer Mall,Nehru Place, New Delhi), the people know nothing about this model except the price which is Rs.39,500/-

Q#3- Finally do you guys think its better to save 11k for Acer or will the extra money put in Dell prove to be a good investment,because I don't change my computer for long time (min 2-3 yrs).

P.S.--My budget is 50k max so feel free to suggest any other Brand/Model that deserves a second look- My third choice was Acer Aspire 5542g @ around 31k, is it worth buying?

Main Requirement from Laptop- Casual Gaming, Extensive 2D designing (PS, AI, Dreamweaver, CorelDraw etc), Average 3D modeling & Rendering and very rare movie watching.

Thanks

go for Acer and try to extend warranty for 3 yrs !!! woohhh.

Dell lap is assembled in tamil nadu and is not upto the mark as compared to same in US, so its not highly recommended, !!!

I have a dell XPS studio and its an excellent machine.

Even though its manufactured in TN it does give prompt delivery(mine in a week) and their service is also good.

Since you already said u dont change lappies frequently, service is important for u.(Acer suz big time). So u can go for studio 15, which has positive reviews.

amd999 said:
Dell lap is assembled in tamil nadu and is not upto the mark as compared to same in US, so its not highly recommended, !!!

Ever heard of Quality Control (QC) ?

Not like they bring in some villagers and have them assemble the system, right?

Just my 2 cents. :)

M@crosoft said:
BTW dell really provides with full HD screen-15'6"?

Yeah. 1080p.

There seems to be multiple variants of the 5740G -

Processor - Intel Core i3 i3-330m 2.13

RAM - 4 GB (installed) 4 GB (max)

Hard Drive - 320 GB

Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Screen - 15.6 in

Optical Drive - DVD+RW

Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Bluetooth - No

Notebook Camera - Integrated

Warranty - 1 year warranty

Processor - Intel Core i5 I5-430M 2.26 GHz Dual-Core

RAM - 4 GB (installed) 8 GB (max) - DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive - 500 GB

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Screen - 15.6 in TFT active matrix 1366 x 768

Optical Drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM

Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Bluetooth - Yes

Notebook Camera - Integrated

Warranty - 1 year warranty

I'd say take the second model with the i5 processor and a slightly better GPU. This should better the Studio 15 laptop. Honestly the build quality of an Acer isn't all that bad. Dell systems warrant a premium for a better customer support and perhaps the branding!

On a puny 15inch panel how do full HD rips and 700MB rips differ? Seriously! Do you guys really start noticing the pixelations? :p

Desecrator said:
Honestly the build quality of an Acer isn't all that bad. Dell systems warrant a premium for a better customer support and perhaps the branding!

Just curious, have you ever used a Dell Studio? More so, physically compared its build quality with an Acer notebook?

Sorry for the OT.

Go for the new Sony Vaio E series

core i3/i5

ATI dx11 GPU

15.6" display

full size keypad

And not to forget the rock solid support of Sony and the reliability of their products. Much much better than Acer and better than Dell too.

starts at 37k for core i3 model I think.

thetoxicmind said:
Just curious, have you ever used a Dell Studio? More so, physically compared its build quality with an Acer notebook?

Sorry for the OT.

Acer 573x build quality is good but keypad and touch pad is inferior to Dell's. Overall, would pick Inspiron over aspire given that one with core i5 is now availble for as low as 37k.

thetoxicmind said:

Sorry for the OT.

I do not own one but a couple of my friends have the Dell Studio 15 which was bought last year with the then Intel Centrino Duo processor, 320GB hard drive, ATI 4670 GPU and the likes which they acquired for a very good bargain off Dell.co.in.

I've also seen the Acer notebooks in person and can vouch for their build quality. Agreed, Dell has a better build compared to the Acer models but is this laptop going to be drop tested or tested for compressive strength whilst in use? Pardon my ignorance but does this one boast of the brushed aluminium faceplate found on the previous XPS 1330/1530 models? If not, the premium paid is quite high!

Compare the price you have paid for the specs in the Dell laptop you have recently acquired vis-a-vis the Acer model. I've no complaints with regard to the Dell, it's just that the Acer model sports the right price for the performance.

Desecrator said:
I do not own one but a couple of my friends have the Dell Studio 15 which was bought last year with the then Intel Centrino Duo processor, 320GB hard drive, ATI 4670 GPU and the likes which they acquired for a very good bargain off Dell.co.in.

I've also seen the Acer notebooks in person and can vouch for their build quality. Agreed, Dell has a better build compared to the Acer models but is this laptop going to be drop tested or tested for compressive strength whilst in use? Pardon my ignorance but does this one boast of the brushed aluminium faceplate found on the previous XPS 1330/1530 models? If not, the premium paid is quite high!

Compare the price you have paid for the specs in the Dell laptop you have recently acquired vis-a-vis the Acer model. I've no complaints with regard to the Dell, it's just that the Acer model sports the right price for the performance.
when did they start giving ati 4670s in studio 15s?

. Agreed, Dell has a better build compared to the Acer models but is this laptop going to be drop tested or tested for compressive strength whilst in use? Pardon my ignorance but does this one boast of the brushed aluminium faceplate found on the previous XPS 1330/1530 models? If not, the premium paid is quite high!

Err...no, I wasn't referring to the compressive strength. :p

Having used both the Acer lappy and the Dell Studio, I feel the premium charged by Dell is justified by the overall 'exclusive' feel (aesthetics, design, quality...) intended for the Studio lineup. The Acer gets to the hardware specs. first, without focusing too much on the housing itself, which in turn is compensated by its lower price tag.

So they kinda even out, depending on what the customer is looking for and how much he/she is ready to pay.

Let's not forget, you can *configure* your Dell.

My 2 cents.

+ 100 to TTM.

Used acer for 3 years and now using Dell for last 3 years. Acer is good but dell is better.

Check my siggy for my spec. The tank like build quality and the uber business look makes the dell rock. Studio series is intended for the demanding work. And remember when you are working on critical stuff the next business day support would save you as compared to almost 2 weeks minimum taken by Acer. Not to mention running to their service centres and then again running back to collect your lappy. Dell spoils you with the in home support. My lots of cents :p

Back