Budget 41-50k Decision Pending

Hey Guys,

Its been three years of journey and my association with TE. I have plans of upgrading this June. Before that I request your suggestions in deciding whether to upgrade or not?

1. What is your budget?
    • 40K + Sale proceeds from existing hardware
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
    • Motherboard - Asus 785TD-V EVO
    • GPU - ATI HD5850
    • RAM - Corsair Value Series 2GB *2
    • Monitor - Sammy B2030
    • SMPS - Corsair HX650
    • Speakers - Logitech Z906
    • Cabinet- CM 690
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • SMPS - Corsair HX650
    • Speakers - Logitech Z906
    • Not to decide what else to retain
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Need your inputs
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • HTPC
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Prefer Corsair, MSI and Asus products
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS
    • Racing
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920*1080
    2. Desktop - 1920*1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8 64 bit
Now, I have budget of 40K for my upgrade. Need to decide whether to upgrade or not?
The upgrade should last atleast for next three years. I would prefer upgrading phase by phase. Like CPU ,MOBO and RAM(But the question is, can the existing processor suffice the current gen games) or is it ok if I simply upgrade the GPU, Monitor and the Cabby.
Please pour in your suggestions
PS:If upgrade is the option I would stick myself to Intel based platform

Alpha17, Gannu, sarang

Hmmm ... Do it in phases

1. Monitor
2. CPU + mobo + RAM - Wait for Haswell ;)
3. SSD
4. GPU

The rest you can keep as is - cabby, speakers & smps
Sir, is the current processor enough to keep me up for another 2 years? If not, then I ll think about upgrading. Primary usage would be for gaming. Some of my friends are telling, it should be enough atleast for an year. What's your take sir?

PS: @Gannu, @ALPHA17

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir, is the current processor enough to keep me up for another 2 years? If not, then I ll think about upgrading. Primary usage would be for gaming. Some of my friends are telling, it should be enough atleast for an year. What's your take sir?

Your 955BE was among the "best" AMD proc's in 2009 when it was launched and OC'ers set record benchmarks of 7.127 GHz using liquid nitrogen. You also matched it with an excellent motherboard & GPU. Dammit this will last for another 2-3 years :cool:

However, you must realise and accept that Intel & AMD will never sleep ..... it is their job to keep improvising and re-innovating newer processes and technologies. So what you got in 2009 kept you very satisfied then, and as time passed & newer iterations of processors kept coming up, all the hard earned money that you spent left you feeling miserable.

So please do not ever succumb to the "constant upgraditis" phobia. If you are a hard-core gamer, then I can understand (esp if you have the $$$$ )

What you could do now is upgrade your monitor to a Full HD IPS panel LED. And no point in changing your GPU right now.

Keep saving your money, and then somewhere in Dec-2013 or Jan-2014 check out how best to upgrade (haswell + better GPU's will have stabilised prices).

Lastly, I have the i7-3770k and my joy & ego will disappear the day Haswell 4770k launches (in another 30 days :()........ BUT I will not upgrade or change my system, at least for another 4-5 years & it will never bother me.

Cheers
Terry

955 is a beast and would keep you up another 2 years for sure.
As Terry suggested upgrade to a better monitor

Back