Delhi's Historical tour

Nikhil

Skilled
So, I'm coming in Jan for the Auto Expo. I also want to spend about 3 days exploring Delhi.

Dont get me wrong, I've been to the Qutb Minar, Red Fort, etc...etc... But it was many many years ago and I would love to visit some of these historical places again. Also, my knowledge about Delhi's history is a bit more than what it was when I visited these places(I think that was about 10-12 years ago).

Now, this time, I want to focus on Old Delhi. And my idea of sight seeing is very different. I absolutely love history and I want extremely detailed info about everything. So, obviously, I will take a lot more time to cover the places than many people.

I will be alone and the itinerary is flexible. I enjoy such historical trips best when I'm left alone. No need to worry if the other person is still interested or not!

My queries:

1). I want a good guide/guides. I dont want someone who will just give me the basic facts and figures which I already know from wiki and google. I want to be taken around by someone who has a much deeper knowledge of the places. Any TEites?

2). My interest is Old Delhi. How many days do you guys think it will take me to cover? I know it is all in the same area, but I plan on being very thorough. For example, I'm hoping there is enough to interest me in the Red Fort alone for one whole day. Then, the next day I can look at some of the gates, purana qila, etc.. I'm still not too sure. I'm basically interested in Mughal Delhi. Not Lutyens' Delhi. Not for this trip at least!

Any help is highly appreciated.

Nikhil said:
So, I'm coming in Jan for the Auto Expo. I also want to spend about 3 days exploring Delhi.

Now, this time, I want to focus on Old Delhi. And my idea of sight seeing is very different. I absolutely love history and I want extremely detailed info about everything. So, obviously, I will take a lot more time to cover the places than many people.

My queries:

1). I want a good guide/guides. I don't want someone who will just give me the basic facts and figures which I already know from wiki and google. I want to be taken around by someone who has a much deeper knowledge of the places. Any TEites?

Never take a guide total rip off. May be some TE member can help you there, am in Pune else it would be an honor to show Old Delhi place I love.

Nikhil said:
2). My interest is Old Delhi. How many days do you guys think it will take me to cover? I know it is all in the same area, but I plan on being very thorough. For example, I'm hoping there is enough to interest me in the Red Fort alone for one whole day.
Any help is highly appreciated.

Apart from Red Fort, Humayun Tomb and Lodi Gardens nothing would attract you (and you have already been to Qutab Minar). Talking about Old Delhi must visit is to following places:

Ballimaran
Khari Baoli Spice Market
Chandni Chowk: Gali Paranthe Wali, and Chitli Qabar for Food
Nai Sadak, Daryaganj mostly Books and latter for Music instruments.

Does not seem like he wants to go on a foodie trip.

He wants history professor connections ?

Until then maybe its best you read up on whatever you can find and plan it out yourself.

blr_p --- You hit the nail on the head. History Professor connections!

I am a foodie. I already have a list of places to go and food to eat. But food takes up max 3 hrs a day. After eating, I would love to walk around, see interesting places and burn the food I ate to make space for more food! :D

Roxtin --- I still want to go to Qutb Minar. I've seen most of Delhi momuments before(except Lodhi Gardens), but this time, I'm more interested.

Nikhil, I am in Gurgaon and I am also very much interested in taking a historical tour of Delhi. I love archaeology :)

Let me know your itinerary. I can help you with a good cab and we can roam around together. I am just hoping I do not get some important work in college.

PS: I am also trying to source some Business visitor passes for the Auto Expo.

Back