Laptops Dell Inspiron N5010 shuts down within few seconds after power on. Please advise.

viralbug

Skilled
My friend has a Dell Inspiron N5010. Unfortunately it is out of warranty now.
<

The problem is that the laptop just simply powers off within 15-20 seconds of powering it on.

- It's not a hard disk issue since no matter where I am it will power off, even if in the BIOS.

- I have tried using only 1 ram stick and using it in each slot, no change. Though I haven't checked using a different ram stick, I doubt both of the sticks would go bad suddenly.

- I had disassembled the whole thing and reapplied thermal paste on the CPU/GPU heatsink. The fan works fine. No use.

- I tried to boot into the Dell diagnostics menu and it passes a few tests before powering off.

Is there anything else I can do?
<
The only option I can think of now is to give it to Dell. They'll charge quite a lot just for checking and then whatever the costs for replacing what's gone bad.

in BIOS what does AC adpt = show ?

keep the machine in bios for 10 mins and see if it shuts down there ... if it does, you need a new MBD

if possible try booting without hdd,wifi card,bluetooth card and check,

As I said, even if I keep it in BIOS, it powers off within 15-20 seconds.

I have tried booting without hdd, wifi card, bluetooth and all other extra add-ons. It's the same thing. The timeout is pretty much the same.

Doesn't make a difference if using battery, with AC or only AC with battery removed.

As I said, even if I keep it in BIOS, it powers off within 15-20 seconds.

I have tried booting without hdd, wifi card, bluetooth and all other extra add-ons. It's the same thing. The timeout is pretty much the same.

Doesn't make a difference if using battery, with AC or only AC with battery removed.

Motherboard failure Confirmed !!!

There seems to be no other way but to give it to Dell and get it checked. Ask them to give a quote. If it goes above the price of a new laptop, you know what to do
<

Yup as I thought, nothing else to do.
<

My friend doesn't really have the money right now to get it fixed, so was hoping it would have been just some over heating issue or something.

Probably some cap must have been blown.

Anyways, how much does Dell charge just for checking the laptop which isn't in warranty?

Better get an Extended Warranty somehow & then fix the system.

If the system has been out of warranty for sometime they might ask for Re-Certification else they'll simply update the Warranty.

Warranty is about 4k for Normal Warranty & 6k for Complete Cover. Re-Certification will come to Rs.800. You might be able to tackle the Guy who comes for Cerification to give a clean chit.

If the system has been out of warranty for sometime they might ask for Re-Certification else they'll simply update the Warranty.

Warranty is about 4k for Normal Warranty & 6k for Complete Cover. Re-Certification will come to Rs.800. You might be able to tackle the Guy who comes for Cerification to give a clean chit.

Those days of tackling are long gone my friend, All the DSPs who come for Re-Certification are Senior DSPs and they interact directly with sales, if a DSP is involved in any such tackle or such a malactivity he is Sacked right away, no questions Asked, and i have seen some extreme cases offlate where a person was caught abusing Complete cover warranty,and his whole warranty was terminated with 300 days remaining Straight!!

Actually the laptop had some issues and the hard disk was replaced. This had happened just before the warranty expired. The issue hadn't resolved even after replacing it and by that time the warranty had expired. But since the issue was never resolved they considered it and checked it again. Apparently the replaced hard drive was faulty as well.

Anyways, the Dell guy had mentioned it would be good to buy another year or 2 of warranty. My friend was planning to get it but I suppose both of us forgot about it. Few months later and this happens.
<
I'm pretty sure they strictly check if the laptop is in good condition and then re-certify. Infact the Dell technician that had come said that even if the laptop is under warranty, they come to check the laptop.

Those days of tackling are long gone my friend, All the DSPs who come for Re-Certification are Senior DSPs and they interact directly with sales, if a DSP is involved in any such tackle or such a malactivity he is Sacked right away, no questions Asked, and i have seen some extreme cases offlate where a person was caught abusing Complete cover warranty,and his whole warranty was terminated with 300 days remaining Straight!!

Nice to know that Dell is handling such fraudsters in a good manner
<
enough of people exploiting the excellent complete cover warranty provided by dell.

How did Dell find this guy was abusing ??

Back