Monitors Dell U2410 Color Problem

kvikram

Skilled
All right fellow U2410 owners, can you do a little experiment for me?

I've always stuck to sRGB color preset mode despite the dull colors, because it always had minimal eyestrain on me.

Then I recently switched to Game mode and Multimedia mode, I was startled at the super-saturated colors on low contrast (below 10). Like, the colors were unnaturally saturated and totally unusable. The issue went away when I increased the contrast to 50 or so.

Also, the colors in sRGB mode also seem a little bit duller than usual since recently, but I'm not sure if it's my imagination since I have just moved to a different place with different lighting. I might be imagining this.

I just want to know whether the super-saturated colors in Game mode at low contrast are normal. Can you please check and see if you get similar results? Is there something wrong with my monitor? Is it dying perhaps? Is this super-saturated color a common phenomenon?

Also, if anyone is using custom color settings, it would be great if you could share them, I would like to colors as accurate as what you would get on a MacBook screen, which is not achieved in sRGB mode where the colors are much duller.

I got this monitor from one of our members few days back. It took me lots of time to calibrate it. Game mode is very saturated at lower contrast and brightness setting. It works best in standard mode only, I have edited the factory Standard mode setting by going in factory menu and it looks nice to me now. This is how you can go in factory menu:

To activate factory menu, turn off your monitor. Then hold second and forth button(counting from the top), and while holding press the power button. The led will start turning on from the bottom. Once the leds are all on press the first button(the blue factory menu should be opened by now, if not try press the top button again).

Please take a snap shot or note down the default values in case you don't like the colors you can always revert it.

These are the settings I am using, I have edited two factory presets. My Custom Values are given below:
6500K R-231, G-230, B-230
AdobeRGB R-158, G-168, B-151

Both these mode looks great even at low brightness.

Try these and let me know how do you find it and don't forget to calibrate it using windows calibration as well. Reduce the gamma a little and it looks great.

U2410 is a wide gamut panel. The gamut is larger than the standard sRGB gamut. As a result if an app doesn't have icc or icm profile support, its colors will appear over saturated. The same holds true for the Asus PA279q monitor that I use. These displays use GB-r led backlight which can feel like a torch if not calibrated properly.

Easy solution to this problem is to use the saturation/hue/gain controls if any and tweak the colors in the custom modes. Otherwise use a colorimeter like i1 display pro and emulate the sRGB gamut in one of the user modes.

Thanks guys. I set it to sRGB mode and after tweaking some settings in AMD CCC it's pretty good now.

Never knew about the factory mode. Will try it out.

Back