desire s vs sgs 2 vs iphone 4

sz1266

Disciple
Hi,
I am confused between htc desire s and sgs 2. i really like iphone 4 build, apps ecosystem, usability in general. but, i have to wait few more days or weeks for iphone 4 to launch in india and the phone is already a year old. desire s and sgs 2 look great alternative and come with 'new' hardware and an overhyped gingerbread. i lost my 3gs recently and have been using an age old dying nokia phone. should i wait for iphone 4 or iphone 5 which could take many many months? spending extra 10k on sgs 2 over desire s is worth? thanks.

The desire S is totally a class below. Nothing special about this phone, nor VFM.

iPhone 4 is as mentioned, slightly outdated. Though it caters to a seperate buyer segment.

The SGS2 is the most top end sensible phone one can purchase today.

While the Optimus 2x is inferior to the awesome SGS2, but the 25k deal on the 26.9k optimus from Letsbuy.com makes it more VFM than the SGS2. Hence currently making more sense for an average buyer.

Incase you have something specific in your requirement, like high priority to camera, audio or features, please do mention.

SGS 2 vs Desire S??? Are you kidding? I guess it must be a typo...
Is it SGS vs Desire S or SGS II Vs Sensation?
If its the first - SGS is definitely the better choice.
Current Pricing: (letsbuy/flipkart)
SGS - 22,900
Desire S - 23,199
Optimus 2X - 25,990 (WTF??)
SGS II - 32, 830.

Even if you get a Desire S for 20K, go for Galaxy SL and not Desire S.
If you have money, then blindfold yourself and get a SGS II.
If you are looking for VFM in high end category, choose between Optimus 2X and SGS II.
At present, SGS beats Optimus 2X in realtime scenarios.*
But in future, Icecream sandwich might make use of Optimus 2X's dual core and might beat SGS. But the point is, will you keep your cell till that (not until sandwich is released, till the Icecream is sandwiched for Optimus 2X)
* YouTube - ‪LG Optimus 2x Web speed Demo (against Samsung Galaxy S)‬‏
YouTube - ‪Optimus 2x Game Expirience Demo (against Samsung Galaxy S)‬‏

And between, optimus 2X and SGS II, the price difference is definitely worth it.
You can see the difference in Slimer and light weight design, Superb Camera, Great Display. And in UserInterface & Browser - all because of H/W acceleration in SGS II. UI is snappy,browser is capable of rendering 1080p videos embedded :) and games at times might be slower than optimus 2x (after all, it is made by NVIDIA)

As you can see in this video, SGS II stuttering in rendering the graphics from 5:11 - 5:37. This might be due to the lack of compatibility of Exynos chipset given by devs as compared to the priority given to the biggie TEGRA. And that is ONE HUGE advantage for Optimus 2X. Dev's will be backed up by NVIDIA like HELL, whereas Samsung (Exynos with MALI-400MP) will leave them in ditch :(
YouTube - ‪Gaming: Samsung Galaxy S II vs. LG Optimus 2X‬‏

Will be updating with more info..

Edit: oh... one last thing. If you don't wanna play with your gadget, If you are going to use the phone ONLY for its intended basic purposes such as call/text/cam/browse/music/games and if you don't want to see any kind of lags/errors/bugs while using these features, if you don't want 1080p video recording, flash, bluetooth and hell lot of other features and if you have lots of money with you not knowing what to do with it, go for iPhone 4. THE BEST at what it does. You won't be bothered by problems like Force Closes, Bugs, Lags an other headaches that comes packed with android etc...

thank u. very valid points.

"But in future, Icecream sandwich might make use of Optimus 2X's dual core and might beat SGS. But the point is, will you keep your cell till that (not until sandwich is released, till the Icecream is sandwiched for Optimus 2X)"

sgs2 also has dual core 1.2ghz, right? so, how can optimus 2x beat sgs2?

this video for sgs2 looks wow - YouTube - ‪Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II user interface‬‏

especially touch responsiveness.

i agree with sgs2 gpu being weak. so, its like choosing between ms. universe and ms.dependable :S

optimus 2x can beat SGS II in SOME games because Tegra 2 will be supported and the platform for which Game Developers will be coding their games. They will do extensive testing on that Tegra 2 platform as tegra 2 is on many devices Optimus 2X, Motorola, HTC and SGS II (in some countries).
But Exynos chipset with Samsung's CPU and ARM Mali 400MP GPU is found only on SGS II. So Dev's might not care about it, unless SGS II has record sales like the Galaxy S.

And even in paper, 2X's Tegra GeForce ULP seems like it beats SGS II's Mali 400MP. It is of 40nm tech and Mali 400MP is 65nm tech.
Source: Nvidia Tegra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia | Mali-400 MP - ARM

And all this that we are talking about is ONLY about graphics and gaming and not anything else. Are you really into gaming on mobile?

thanks. i was a moderate gamer on 3gs and ipad. other than angry birds, i havent seen any of my friends' droid phones with games unfortunately :(. but gaming isnt the main criteria that i am looking. i guess i will fall for sgs 2 for its seduction.

SGS2 !

But if you don't care about Hardware then iPhone. iPhone only wins when it comes to user experience. Hardware wise SGS 2 is great, but software, OS and UI, iPhone is clear winner. iPhone may have slow proccy, but runs like beast on iOS 4.3. As long as it runs snappy, why care about processor clock haa ?

So, best bet would be visiting a shop and trying both. Who knows, SGS 2's 8MP cam may be just as iP4's 5MP or it might even have terrible battery back up. Visit a shop, try both phones. SGS2 or iPhone4, buy it from ebay with free goodies like external HDD / mobile.

and yeah, Optimus 2X is LG :bleh:

@avi - SGS2's 8mp cam beats the iPhone4 cam by a slight margin and the 1080p recording as well!
Samsung Galaxy S II vs LG Optimus 2X vs Nokia N8 vs Apple iPhone 4: Camera comparison - Phone Arena

Battery Tests:
Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II thorough battery life test ready
Showdown: Samsung Galaxy S II stars in our browsing battery life championship, not so brightly [UPDATED] (Note: the experience in 4.3" is way better than 3.5" browsing)

The price of SGS2 is already announced. It is priced at 32,830. (That's the recommended price given by samsung). Usually retailers give a lot less than that price. In the case of SGS, it was 31,000 given by samsung. But the retailers gave it for 28K. And that's the case for most of the mobiles. And even for SGS 2, it might come down around 29,500. But the thing is, with so much hype, the retailers might keep the 32K price tag for about a month or two and then reduce the price.

I think Gsmarena Battery tests suck Bigtime

They say that SGS original can last 40 hours that too while doing a lot of stuff.

In my hands the SGS goes to <15% battery in 12 hours flat that is with 2g network,No music use,1 hour of 2G surfing,Few minutes of games and 30 mins of calls and some 50-60 messages...

Battery life unfortunately sucks on most modern phones. The "archaic" Nokia N8 and siblings are slightly ahead here. I am sure if Nokia used a 1500 Mah Battery in N8 It would have easily gone 4 days non stop.

@OP If you are blowing away this kinda cash then do get a dual core phone. Its not about better games and better features.It is just that paying 24k for a single core phone aint worth it in 2011.

Iphone 4 is obviously worth it esp for those who like a bit of zany fruit in their lives. But seriously SGS2 has some serious pedigree. Do keep in mind,That the same kindaa cash can get you a decent dual core laptop and a 3g phone thrown in.

So If buying a droid,Then either get a real highend flagship or get a low end but decent enough phones like O1 from LG. This is indeed a very bad time for high end midrangers like SE Arc

I suggest you go for the LG optimus 2x at 26K..

If you can really spend 32K then go for SGS2... Nothing in between comes atleast close to them...

Only Key DIff I found:

1) GB in SGS2 but only Froyo in O2x(Update is just around the corner)

2) 1GB of RAM in SGS2 - Double that of O2x

3) SGS 2 has the best Screen out there - Slightly Better than the IPS LCD of O2X

4) Stutter free 1080p recording in SGS2 - Though the O2X got an unofficial fix for this by XDA-Devlopers

If you are OK wiith slightl inferior Screen and HALF the RAM, go for O2x.. Because the XDA guys will fix any issue or laggines even if present in the phone...

There are already some good ROMs for O2x... SO go for it..

Even the Desire S and all have 768MB ram.. Why only 512 MB even I dunno..

Even SE guys used 512MB or something in ARC and NEO...

But I guess, Its more than sufficient for our use

aka911 said:
I think Gsmarena Battery tests suck Bigtime

They say that SGS original can last 40 hours that too while doing a lot of stuff.

In my hands the SGS goes to <15% battery in 12 hours flat that is with 2g network,No music use,1 hour of 2G surfing,Few minutes of games and 30 mins of calls and some 50-60 messages.

Battery tests suck in reviews becoz some reviewers simply tell you their educated guess while some test in a different way and different circumstances. In India, there is not a single high-end Android phone that can last for one whole day (24 hours). Any reviewer who talks in days is simply talking BS.

They should mesaure it in hours.

On my tests Galaxy S II gave an above average battery life of around 10 to 12 hours. Also the reason why I said in India battery life of smartphones is poor is becoz:

1- 3G is patchy. the more problem 3G singal has, more work phone will do to hunt and maintain signal. Again most reviewers in India don't even test phones on 3G. That's the inside secret ;-) 3G also drains more battery than 2G

2- Gaming or HD video recording/playback can play havoc with battery.

3- This is summer and ambience temp is around 35-40 degrees in Delhi outdoors. Battery goes down real fast in this heat.

4- Even on Edge, signals are patchy. Drains battery faster.

Back