Desktop substitute question

SharekhaN

Skilled
My main desktop concked off two days ago, due to some 3-4 BSODs. I am too fed up to try and decipher whats wrong. I was not at my desktop over a month and was mainly using my notebook. Its a neat little aspire one with win xp on it. I added core avc to it and it pretty much handles all 720p files i can throw at it. It pretty much suffices all my desktop needs now that I have given up on gaming.

Now I have set it up as my desktop. Connected my desktop monitor to it using vga out. Its good. Shows stuff at full hd. No resolution issue here. Sounds etc all is taken care of. using a usb port for 1 tb ext drive and another one for usb dongle for a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I honestly cant tell the difference now. Of course, it is sure to give me some issues here and there, but I cant truly be bothered now. Its an atom setup. 1 gb ram.

Now since it may be required to run long hours including overnight, I have removed the battery and connected it directly to power.

My question to you folks is..Is it advisable to run my netbook like this?

if so any issues with the battery being left out? any other precautions for battery storage etc etc.

Any help is welcome and comments as well.

Thanks,

SharekhaN

NO though eventally the battery will dry up on its own so you need to keep an eye to that and make sure you follow a regular charge-discharge cycle to make sure the battery performs respectably down the line :), wait fo others to put in their views hope this helped :), the only issue I forsee is a powercut and the netbook dying bereft of the battery :p

You can keep your net top plugged into the power socket while using it. That's what I have been doing for the past 2.5 yrs. My aspire one conked off due to my negligence but otherwise it was a brilliant piece of hardware at that price. And tho the laptop doesn't work the battery works as expected. Once a month let the battery drain completely and check how much backup does it give you. This way you can keep a track if the battery is dying on you.

Well the Battery storage has been explained already, once a month a full recharge-discharge cycle is good. One more thing that I'd like to add up is since you are are going to use it 24*7 now it is advisable that you buy a Chillpad for the Nettop and keep a can of pressurized air handy.. Laptops/Nettops tend to accumulate a lot of dust and girth due to the tiny fan and puny exhaust cum heat sink and that can cause unnecessary over-heating.. I suggest cleaning once every 2 months and your HTPC/Download rig is going to last a long time !!!

Cheers !!!

Yes....

If you are using power source in your netbook/notebook you can completely un-install the battery pack, by doing so there is no harm. If your area have frequent power cut then you must use a UPS just like Desktop (UPS only needed if you decide not use battery anymore).In this way you can preserve the battery as new.
To get prolong battery life here is the guide: How to Prolong your Notebook / Laptop Battery

If you are using 24/7 DL rig then laptop cooler is advisable....and regular cleaning is advisable as other members already suggested.

Back