Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Discussion Thread

Downloading this now off steam. I'm curious about the boss battle in this one since its made by Eidos Montreal this time around.

Will try to finish this off without any augs to get the achievement

psyph3r said:
without any augs to get the achievement

I wonder how can one pull this one off. Because the very first objective itself is to acquire all the gear which grants him some augs. And no other objectives are available other than this one.

My observations after one round with the game:

1. Shorter and less immersive than DX 1.

2. The gameplay is fairly linear. Mission outcome is not influenced to the same extent by choices, as it is in DX 1.

3. The inventory is more crowded and confusing with the ammo now taking cells and individual grenades taking up cells. Managing it well is tricky, which is probably better than the first game.

4. Auto-health regen is lame. Not nice at all, though frankly it saved me a few times even at low level gameplay.

5. Energy recharge system sucks, period. Carrying around slabs of chocolate or protein supplement in a stealth game is weird.

6. Absence of bots for charge and medication is a sore point. Limping around with only a few points of health looking for a quick shot of meds or charging was interesting, on-the-edge stuff and taking it out of the game was a miss, IMO.

7. Weapon range is a major improvement from 1. And choosing between them is interesting, given you can take a full-size bot down with a 10mm pistol but need a grenade launcher for Namir.

8. I am sorely disappointed by the ending(s). Though it would seem all do leave a path open to the actual happenings of DX 1 and the emergence of nanotech and J C Denton, that particular aspect is not delved into at all. The endings reflect only on morality of the player's choice, which in my mind closes the game far more than open it up - unlike the endings in DX 1, which were far more involved, required specific actions and then opened into other beginnings.

9. I like how there are many more enemies in this game than the first, and how they are more deadly and accurate. The challenge of combat is welcome (enemies in DX 1 were dumbasses compared to even the first few levels of enemies here).

10. I really miss the skill levelling system. I guess it reduces complexity, but some form of learning should have been built into the game.

11. Boss battles? Come on, that's so 1990.

All in all, a decent game but with more minuses than pluses. For someone who doesn't play FPS games much, it's so-so. For a DX fanatic, it's a middle-of-the-road title.

^^Well I don't think the majority of the gamers today would have the patience to complete the original Deus Ex on normal/hard. Gaming has become much easier with regenerating health, forgiving AI, overpowered protagonists and short campaigns. But this at least tried to capture the Deus Ex feeling, and succeeded to a large extent, considering this to be a 2011 title.

Given that the original DX took about 30 hours to play through with all sidequests included, and was actually the easiest to play at 'Realistic' settings, don't really know if 'patient' is the right word. 'Incompetent', 'Unskilled' and 'Lazy' come to mind more easily.

I get the fact that it is successful and had I not played the first one before, my feedback would be a bit different.

But keeping it in the trilogy means inviting comparison.

Completed the DLC yesterday. Like I said before it turned out to be very short. Despite playing it the stealthy way till the final confrontation with Burke and his men.

Decision I chose to go with:

Save the prisoners. There were too many of them and I felt for that South-African chick. She was so helpless locked up. :(

I felt pretty bad for Keitner as well. I really wish she could have been saved some way or the other but it appears she has to die.

psyph3r said:
I'm curious about the boss battle in this one since its made by Eidos Montreal this time around.

The most retarded boss battle in the entire game if I may add.

Burke and his bunch of men including 2 snipers, a heavy and some useless pricks. The way Burke was bossing around in the cutscenes, I thought the final encounter could be something like the one Jensen had with Barrett or Namir. Turned out to be even worse! :|

A little comment about the game: I initially tried to be non-lethal throughout. But the severe lack of non-lethal weapon ammo made me extremely frustrated in a very short while. And I was stuck in a loop of quickloading and dying in many areas. Considering that the loading times aren't the fastest, it wasn't great at all. :(

I finally decided "what the heck" and got myself a nice pistol with a silencer, armor-piercing ammo, ammo expansion pack and laser sight. And also a silenced machine pistol later in the game. That made me the ultimate lethal stealth badass. :eek:hyeah: Much more satisfying to kill an enemy with a single shot in the head than with a boring stun gun or tranq rifle. :D

Well I have been playing with the non-lethal approach till now and I have reached up to just after the second boss battle.
I haven't caused any alarms to go off and also have been ghosting all the objectives ie without being spotted.
But I'll not get the Pacifist trophy as during the starting sequence at Sarif I killed one guard, not knowing about the trophy at that time and being too lazy to go back :(

After doing Barrett in 30 seconds, it took close to 4 hours to kill Fedorova on Give me Deus Ex level :oops:
I didn't have any combat related augmentations like Armour, EMP Shield, Jump, Aim stabilizer, Typhoon, etc and also I never bothered with any weapon upgrades since the only gun I ever used was the Stun Gun and sometimes the Tranquilizer Rifle.
I tried various combinations of weapons to no avail but what ultimately worked for me was the Stun Gun only along with the 10mm pistol and one gas mine.

:eek:hyeah:

The first boss fight taught me to keep lethal weapons in my inventory as well. When I started the game I never bothered about any other weapons than the tranquilizer rifle. But I sometimes collected rare looking weapons and got lucky during the boss fights. :D

lesson: keep a good combination of both stealth and lethal weapons and augs. :p

Finished missing link it was nice eventhough the story isnt that much and the end boss battle was far less annoying than those in HR,apart from that the lighting effects and environmental detail were much better in the DLC than HR any how it was fun finished the game without killing anyone except for the big ass robot in the final stage took it out with an EMP grenade :p

Finished the game a few days back on PS3 but could only get 55% trophies :(

The Tong's Rescue mission was very well integrated into the main story, I guess it was a part of story and they decided to clip it and give it as a DLC as has become a standard norm these days.

Also my favorite weapon was the Grenade Launcher as it always feels exhilarating to see bodies flying but I felt it was way too overpowered because
the fight with Namir barely lasted 3 seconds on Give me Deus Ex and I had to play it using different weapons to get a full experience and Namir royally kicked my ass for over an hour :p

Side quests were amazingly interesting almost as good as the main story.

^^ Very well made trailer, 0:23 of the video was amazing with Yelena flying back while the bullets are whizzing by! Also, Liannet Borrego as Megan Reed is looking sultry hawt! :eek:hyeah:

Back