Device: Media Player + Record from DTH / Cable

Guys,

This is for my mom and dad. So simple and easy to use solutions preferred. I dont mind tinkering it but since they use it
they should feel comfortable in the event of any problems.

Existing Components:

1) Samsung 32" LCD
2) Sun Direct DTH and in future maybe back to Cable TV, thanks to politics in TN.

Purpose:

A) My mother like every lady watches TV Shows and all those cooking sessions.
Now she wants to record all those shows and store it so that she can view the same later when she tries it out.

My Addl Pref: So that she can work in peace.

Should be able to record in HD if on Sun DTH else fine
Should encode the videos in MKV to as to reduce size.
Never mind the Ads.
Prefer to be connected on Network for easy transfer of files to her computer.

B) My Da got used to WDTV. So he wants those features in the new Media Player. Like acess his favourite playlists and
watch DVD Content Videos from Cam recordings stored on the computer and also play movies DVD9 ISO's backed up,BR Disks,720p & 1080p files.
Requirements:

A media Player which can do all the above.(Bit Sceptical but come on guys!)
Or any other Alternate soln.
Planned on HTPC. But my da loves simplicity hence the need.

Budget : Maybe around 15k (Lesser the better).
Prefer to buy it locally to avoid Warranty hassles.
But can buy from abroad too (S'pore and US).

Apologies doubtfire! I couldn't respond to the PM. Unfortunately I have no clue on such a device which can record the channel content in HD. Some other member could help in this regard. And I happened to overlook the media player part.

For the media player, you could get yourself the AC Ryan POHD Mini or even the Essential. Both support the same audio/video formats and codecs. I just did a quick comparison. The major difference being Mini sports an ethernet port so you could connect the device to a PC/NAS and stream the content whereas the Essential doesn't. But since you mentioned ease of use, I think the Essential is a good bet. Just plug a USB hard drive and play the content.

The POHD Mini is priced at 6500 INR and Essential at 5100 INR. Take a look at the specs here -

POHD Mini - Playon!HD | Full HD Network Mediaplayer by A.C.Ryan

POHD Essential - Playon!HD | Full HD Network Mediaplayer by A.C.Ryan

This is the official retailer for AC Ryan in India - HD Media Player, AC Ryan India, Play on HD India, True HD media players

Contact details here - Where-to-buy

You can contact them over phone/mail and they respond pretty quick to queries. Hope this helps! :)

Ah, at last. Thanks Gannu for your reply.

I already have a WDTV for the Player. Also as said by you, Essential is a nice bet too for those who are in the market for the media players.

And Gannu, also I was looking at Playon HD DVR+ which has recording features. Now wanted to know whether they can record from our DTH services like Tata SKY, Airtel HD, Sun Direct and our local Cable wallahs?

Since ease of use was the main criteria, I am ending up having this doubt.

What i know from my knowledge:

1) Pay TV box > HD-PVR > PC > VideoReDo > StaxRip

Got this from a guy who actually records and ups the TV content in HQ.

So i have to go for the HTPC with Aver Card/ PVR Card to decode and encode the content.

Any thoughts on Playon HD DVR+ which has recording features.

hey

playon hd pvr+ is good. i have a close friend using it to record hd content. not sure about scaling though. if your looking for a packaged solution matching ur deal then look no further. i am sure my friend would be more than willing to share his experience with you... lmk !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hey

playon hd pvr+ is good. i have a close friend using it to record hd content. not sure about scaling though. if your looking for a packaged solution matching ur deal then look no further. i am sure my friend would be more than willing to share his experience with you... lmk !

Back