Digicam decisions..

TheMask

Skilled
I wud be buying a digicam before the end of next week (hopefully) and I wanted your opinions :) My budget is 20k for a cam and a memory card. I wud want atleast 512MB memory card, but 1GB wud be better. I wud mostly be taking pictures in close range (of the insides of my cabinet) and/or of some sports.. the ones with fast cars n all :eek:hyeah: I also want a cam with very good zoom capabilities (why? just for the heck of it.. and no there is no girls' hostel in the 5km radius from my house)

I like the Fuji Finepix S5500 very much. some features I like about S5500:

- Costs 15.5k (at JJMehta.com)

- 4MP

- 10x Optical zoom (equivalent to 37-370mm)

- Movie mode 640x480, 30 frames with sound

- Manual Shutter SPeed of upto 15s

The other models I am considering are:

Olympus Camedia C-770 UltraZoom - 4MP, 10X, Panorama mode

Panasonic DMC FZ-20 - 5MP, 12x Leica Optical zoom lens, dual tone body, (cheaper) SD/MMC card support

Fuji is still my first choice. Perhaps if u cud suggest some other good models worth considering that wud be very helpful to me :)

Hello Maskyman,
The S5500 is a nice cam, for most of the applications you intend to use it for, especially the fast cars and stuff like that. The cam is a semi pro cam, and zoom is kewl as well. What isn't very impressive is the ability, or lack thereof, to take close up shots. The min. focal length is 10cm, whereas the Nikons have 4cm, and 3cm even as the minimum, allowing for superb close ups.

Try to get a bunch of the S5500 test shots and check them out. :)

Regards
Inzider

Well when it comes to DCams Nikon and Canon comes to my mind straight.

Nikon Coolpix 5200 5.1MP is g gr8 DCam think its below 20K.
- Video Rec
- Audio Rec
- Click Pictures
- MMC Support

Main Site http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25516

Imaging Resource Review
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP5200/CP52A.HTM

DCresource Review
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix5200-review/

DigitalSecrets Info
http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/Nikon5200.html

Steves Review
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/nikon5200.html

MegaPixel.net Review
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/nikon-cp5200/cp5200-gen.php

DPReview
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5200/

Digitalcamerainfo Review
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Nikon-Coolpix-5200-Digital-Camera-Review.htm

Check Reviews at following site for DCams before buying one

http://www.dcresource.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

2 Nice sites.

Edit: My 350th Post

Kodak 7690.. has 10X optical zoom as well. Good camera, but also see if you can the S7700 from Fuji @ a good rate. It might fit the bill as well.

^^ both models I am hearing for the first time.. which means both are newer than the ones i am considering.. but Kodak will be expensive i guess.. 6490 (4MP, 10x) sells at 19.5k and 7590 (5MP, 10x) sells at 22.5k!! The Fuji s7700 ( must be the cam replacing the S7000 (6MP, 6x) and S7000 sells at 22.5k.. so s7700 might be more expensive :D lemme check them out..

and keep ur suggestions flowing :)

hi mask at last you too lost hope of funding from bosky101 :bleh:

i got through
imaging-resource.com
steves-digicam.com
jjmehta.com

what i found that fujifilm finepix s5500 was not mentioned anywhere in international sites.

the question is whether it is discontinued or a rebadged s5100 for indian markets i am still confused.

now basic point of discussion :

i searched for your specifications and found following camera worth mentioning

olympus camedia c770 ultra zoom
nikon coolpix 5200
fujifilm finepix s5500 or s5100
kodak easyshare dx 6490 zoom

i would like to do reverse counting.

i will not select nikon 5200 for your needs
as you need a high zoom one and this one is a compact camera and you need an entry level enthusiast type slr body and sheet features of other cameras will keep this one a lot behind.

kodak easyshare dx 6490
an excellent compact small but powerfull camera
pros :
excellent service backup in india and the prices are with bill and warranty
excellent macro function
superb zoom lens

cons:
limited iso settings
limited flash modes
limited white balance modes
uses sd / mmc cards which may be a tide slower to operate.
no uncompressed format
heard (may be a rumour no first experience) that its batteries are known to cause problems

fujifilm finepix s5100/5500

pros:
sturdy built
known reliability
good lens
faster operations
aa nimh or alkaline batteries
uncompressed format : yes ccd raw

cons :
i am confused about model number and specifications
little imperfect red and orange colour reproduction
limited flexibility in macro function (your main need)
sometimes problematic auto focus
the best amongst the lot (as per my view)

pros:
remote control (the best feature as if you want to take real close ups of your mobo and like this will eliminate your hand shaking effect)
maximum sizes of images amongst the compared models
good movie capability
excellent macro feature
compact but still sturdy built

cons:
limited flash modes
limited white balance settings
if i am not mistaken it has no external flash hot shoe adapter (this is covered by double tube good powerfull flash)

conclusion:
given your choices i would hands on pick olympus camedia c 770 with extra battery and a tripod and extra memory card. if you are tight on budget you can pick up extra battery when you have extra bucks to spare may cost you around 1500-2000 INR. :hap2: :hap2:

i hope i have cleared a few of your doubts.

edit : forgot to add the link of my main research arguments here
edit 2: the images link of steves digicam site mentions s5100 not s5500

medpal said:

what i found that fujifilm finepix s5500 was not mentioned anywhere in international sites.

the question is whether it is discontinued or a rebadged s5100 for indian markets i am still confused.

Both S5100 and S5500 are one and the same. One sells in Europe and one in the Americas.. :D

medpal said:
now basic point of discussion :

i searched for your specifications and found following camera worth mentioning

nikon coolpix 5200

fujifilm finepix s5500 or s5100

kodak easyshare dx 6490 zoom

I am not considering Nikon Coolpix 5200 yet. Only if i dont get the Fuji (my first choice coz of its Pro-like looks :D) and if i dont get the Olympux C-770 and even the 6490 (mighty expensive 4k more than the Fuji!) then i wud consider other cams :eek:hyeah:

medpal said:
fujifilm finepix s5100/5500

cons :

i am confused about model number and specifications

little imperfect red and orange colour reproduction

limited flexibility in macro function (your main need)

sometimes problematic auto focus

s5100 n s5500 are one and the same.. :)

will have to check out more pics for the imperfect color reproduction.. tnx for the heads up :)

Macro is OK.. 10cm is manageable i guess ;)

medpal said:

the best amongst the lot (as per my view)

pros:

remote control (the best feature as if you want to take real close ups of your mobo and like this will eliminate your hand shaking effect)

maximum sizes of images amongst the compared models

good movie capability

excellent macro feature

compact but still sturdy built

cons:

limited flash modes

limited white balance settings

if i am not mistaken it has no external flash hot shoe adapter (this is covered by double tube good powerfull flash)

I had overlooked the remote control feature on this :D am glad u pointed it out

medpal said:
conclusion:

given your choices i would hands on pick olympus camedia c 770 with extra battery and a tripod and extra memory card. if you are tight on budget you can pick up extra battery when you have extra bucks to spare may cost you around 1500-2000 INR. :hap2: :hap2:

Like i said, i prefer Fuji s5500 just for its pro-like looks.. hjehhe... but i am strongly considering C770 too..

and are there any other models u wud suggest worth considering?

i hope i have cleared a few of your doubts.

edit : forgot to add the link of my main research arguments here

edit 2: the images link of steves digicam site mentions s5100 not s5500[/QUOTE]

TheMask said:
and are there any other models u wud suggest worth considering?

considering your budget and requirements i do not think any more camera will fit in except one

canon poweshot s1 IS (it has only 3.2 MP but 10x lens) look out

edit : got info olympus has an external flash adapter so one more favour for it.

tha canon powershot a95 is a pretty awsome model as well. Check it out. You can get it within your buget if you get it through jjmehta.

My choice would be Konica Minolta Z5. I've used a Z2 earlier and nothing in that price range comes close to its image quality. Z5 is 5mp instead of the 4mp of Z2 and also has 12X zoom over 10X of Z2 plus image stabilization. The Z range of minolta plain rocks.

If you wanna go for a 5MP then go for Canon PS A95 if you are looking for a good pro camera but not a DSLR then only one cam comes to my mind Canon PS S1 IS... Its 3Mp but excellent camera... Check out the reviews of these two on any of the sites... Also both comes with sewel LCD's so it would be easier to take the difficult of shots...

Me and Medpal both personally use A95

medpal said:
canon poweshot s1 IS (it has only 3.2 MP but 10x lens) look out

That is why I didnt consider Panasonic FZ3 :D and it has 12x optical zoom too. The other model worth considering is perhaps the Panasonic FZ20, but its way outta my budget. JJ Mehta has one for 25k :D

medpal said:
edit : got info olympus has an external flash adapter so one more favour for it.

Hey thats good man.. but i still need a strong reason to buy this over the s5500 :D besides, s5500 is cheaper by 1.5k and for 20.5k i get these with the camera - 512MBxD card + Camelion NiMH Battery (4pcs) + Camelion Standard Charger + Digital Camera Pouch

With the C-770 I wud get only a 512MB XD card with the camera for 21k!!!

Chaos said:
My choice would be Konica Minolta Z5. I've used a Z2 earlier and nothing in that price range comes close to its image quality. Z5 is 5mp instead of the 4mp of Z2 and also has 12X zoom over 10X of Z2 plus image stabilization. The Z range of minolta plain rocks.

I am not sure if its available here at all. There is a Minolta Z10 available with JJ Mehta for 17.5k, but it looks like a toy cam :D http://www.jjmehta.com/products/minolta_dimage_z10.html

OK guys i think i have made the decision.. I think i'll get the Fuji s5500.. though the Camedia is a very appealing camera with some very useful options that arenot found in the S5500, i am a sucker for the Fuji's pro-like looks :p
Tnx for the help all u guys (n gal) :hap2:

congrats masky on your decision.
s5500 is a good cam to own.

definitely.

girls of mysore beware masked monster is prying you with his long zoom lens.................................. :LOL:

Back