Digicams from Indiaplaza

Channu

Adept
Hi

I want to buy a digicam. Sorted out these two from indiaplaza

1. Indiaplaza.in : Electronics - Cameras - Fujiflim FinePix S5800 8MP & 10X Optical Zoom

2. Indiaplaza.in : Electronics - Cameras - Fujiflim FinePix S8000 8MP & 18X Optical Zoom

Budget is a concern so i want to know if the second one is worth the extra bucks that i spend (Almost 4700)

And also does any better alternative in the same budget exists in this SLR type category ?

P.S : Now posting in the right section after i mistakingly posted in the wrong one :ashamed:

Second one is absolutely worth the money. S8000 not only offers more zoom but also Image Stabilization which the S5800 doesnt offer but u shud consider the fact that the warranty on Indiaplaza is dealer warranty and not manufacturer warranty. U can actually chek out few others

Sony DSC H7
Panasonic FZ8
Canon S3IS (if its still available)

Yeah i know its dealer's warranty as its a grey market piece which anyways i would have got as i think getting a grey market piece is better as i want a good piece but budget is a bar.

Can i get these cheaper if i look in local grey market ?
I havent tried looking for them locally as i've seen dealers foolin the customers in buying an used or faulty piece and dont want to go through all that ordeal and i dont think i'll get these pieces so cheap if i purchase through proper channel

You can actually try out at the grey market... as i see your location as Delhi so I would suggest you try out the camera market in the chandni chowk area which is actually a pretty gud market. Take a sealed box, not an open one, that would significantly reduce the chances of a used piece and since you are going for grey market I would give preference to Sony and Canon because in all probability the price would fit in your budget.

I am using S5800 bought from Indiaplaza. best VFM. big LCD.. and gud response time. Though i must say the build quality of fujifilm has decreased. i also have s5000 (no longer in production) which has smaller display but better build quality. Also i feel the pic quality of s5000 is arguably better than s5800.

So can i go ahead with S5800 whch wl suit my budget much better ?

Is the 10x optical sufficient or will an 18x make much of a difference ?

ashu_dps said:
So can i go ahead with S5800 whch wl suit my budget much better ?

Is the 10x optical sufficient or will an 18x make much of a difference ?

Even a 10X is too much unless you are a bird/sports photographer.

@ashu_dps

u r ignoring a very important feature of long range zoom.. that is Optical Image Stabilization.. S5800 wont offer u that, if u r going to use tripod then its different case.. otherwise Image Stabilization is a must for long range zoom be it 10x or 18x.

Yes and i think this Image stabilization and Face detection make S8000 a very good option but its on a higher side and so i'll need to recalculate my finances for it. ;)

S5800 will do just fine for your needs. one more improvement S5800 over earlier version is it has enclosed optical zoom. so no need to worry abt your lens getting dirty :)

I would suggest neither Fuji and instead stick with either the Canon S3, a Sony H3 or a Panasonic FZ8.

Both Fuji cams don't have Fuji's famous Super CCD sensor. They have just a regular sensor.

Thats why the older S5000 gave better pics- it has the Super CCD sensor.

Back