Camera Digital camera equal to SLR

rishimittal

Disciple
Hi

I am searching for compact digital camera which can shoot picture with quality almost equal to slrs.

I had searched about few cameras as below
1. sony nex-3
2. samsung wb650

please suggest which one is better options I have the price idea of two. also suggest any other in compact segment

Re: Digital camra equal to slr

a SLR is a thing no normal compact camera can substitute for!

What is your budget?

Have a Look at Panasonic fz38, fz40. Prices are on the higher side. But smooth zoom and reallly good looking pics.

The NEX is NOT a compact cam.. it too has interchangeable lenses..

Look at the Canon S95 , Nikon P7000 for as close to DSLR level pics without being a DSLR.

Well the NEX-3 has a APS-C size sensor and it will shoot images with DSLR quality.
Another option is the Olympus EPL-1.

@abracadabra
He asked for a compact camera and the fz38/40 are by no means compact.

Yes NEX-3 and Olympus EPL-1 will give any budget DSLR a run for the money.

However that depends on what you wish to shoot.

To get a very shallow DOF (blurred backgrounds) you need a fast prime lens which is not available for either the NEX nor the Olympus.

Nex 5 and 3 are essentially the same with slightly different bodies and the 5 shoots full HD> but thats about it. I would rather save some money for a good SD card and cover and take the 3.

The EPL 2 will be available in retail around the 29k-30k mark around the second week of Feb. I am also thinking about a toss up between these two, but as of now its the NEX 3. Am waiting for a hands on of the EPL 2 before taking the final decision. My main issue with the EPL 1 and 2 is the issues of auto focus in low light. Also the epl 1 screen is crap. And the viewfinder is very expensive

the Nex 3/5 does a great job of depath of field, far better than any point and shoot I have used/tried till now. May not be as good as DSLR's, but I cant really comment on that.

^^ It will give you better DOF than a P&S for sure. But a DSLR with a fast lens like f1.8 or f2 will offer a shallower DOF.

DSLRs and NEX cameras have almost the same sensor. The only difference is the lenses available. DSLRs have a huge variety of lenses while for the Sony NEX you have just the kit lens. The m43 cameras have a few prime lenses but they cost as much as the camera body. :(

^^ Do note that its a manual focusing lens. But wide angle manual lenses are easier to use compared to telephoto manual lenses.

BF1983 said:
^^ It will give you better DOF than a P&S for sure. But a DSLR with a fast lens like f1.8 or f2 will offer a shallower DOF.

DSLRs and NEX cameras have almost the same sensor. The only difference is the lenses available. DSLRs have a huge variety of lenses while for the Sony NEX you have just the kit lens. The m43 cameras have a few prime lenses but they cost as much as the camera body. :(
Brendon please also mention tht those fast prime lenses cost more thn even the slr u buy :)

Yes, even Canon 50mm f/1.8 is very cheap and it has automatic focus...I don't see a point in spending lot of money on P&S and compacts...get a DSLR...it's worth :)

mukulymn said:
Brendon please also mention tht those fast prime lenses cost more thn even the slr u buy :)
I got my Minolta 50mm f1.7 used for 2.5k. :D

Also paid 4k for my Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro lens. :)

Not too expensive dont you think ?

^sorry for the OT..

Brendon, which camera are you using?

PS: fount out you are using a sony..

100mm macro for 4k?

i dont think canon has a similar lens in their line up..

BF1983 said:
I got my Minolta 50mm f1.7 used for 2.5k. :D

Also paid 4k for my Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro lens. :)

Not too expensive dont you think ?
Point to be noted that examples of cheap primes dont include canon, nikon generally.. (sony ppl get benefit this side..)

Back