(Disappointing) Sony Xperia J Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update doesn't bring much

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
So the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update for the Sony Xperia J is out in the wild. Initially all Xperia J owners were excited while other smartphone owners such as the Xperia U and Sola users were jealous out of their minds having not received (nor will they receive) their Jelly Bean update when a much inferior smartphone gets updated to a newer software version. Well, if you were jealous, don't be. It's not all rosy here.
Sony Xperia J Jelly Bean update

So the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update is out for the Sony Xperia J. If you're an Xperia J user looking to update to the latest software and don't want to wait any longer, head over to this thread on XDA Developers Forum.

Xperia J Jelly Bean update - XDA Forums

You can directly download the unbranded stock Jelly Bean FTF from here:

ST26i_11.2.A.0.21_No brand ITA.ftf - 395 MB
New Features: Jelly Bean on the Xperia J

Here are the new features that are a part of the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update:
  • Extended Battery Mode - Automatically switches off Data Traffic when screen off to save battery
  • Power Settings in Notifications bar, makes accessing commonly used settings easier
  • Sony Select (replacement for Recommender app) which recommends new games, apps and music for your Sony phone
  • Linux 3.4 Kernel

Pretty neat huh? Well not, because here's whats missing and what will be there for the other Sony 2012 phones receiving their Jelly Bean update:
  • No new Lockscreen
  • Same ICS Apps (not updated to JB apps, as seen on leaked Xperia S JB Firmware)
  • Reported issues with WiFi connectivity
  • Reported higher battery drain than ICS
  • No switch to the new Xperia Z style launcher

As you can see, those are pretty major features left out of the Jelly Bean update. We can't even confirm if Project Butter is up and running (the chipset powering this phone is pretty old you see). Google Now is thankfully present as it's an integral part of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

Do you have an Xperia J? Have you updated your phone? What are your views? Do leave a comment below!

Buying a new phone? Or a tablet? Need help with something everyday-tech related? Ask me and I'm sure to help!
— Preetam Nath (@hipreetam93) April 18, 2013

Back