Video Distribute cable TV to more than one TV

Any device available that can simplify distributing cable TV to multiple TVs within a home without lack of quality ? We have an STB provided by them with RCA cable as output. Can I use an Android box to recieve input an then somehow transmit to other TVs ?

You will need a MythTV server and TV tuner cards. Hauppauge cards work well. You can then install as many clients you want in different rooms. Raspberry Pi can be used as a client. You will need multiple STB to have separate control of channels though. Checkup on mythtv.org website for further details.

Its called a network tuner. Google for it. However, most do not accept encrypted signals.

Are you referring to HDhomerun and Ceton? In the US cable companies do allow to use these instead of their STB. It would be great if these were allowed in India but i haven't heard that yet.

Are you referring to HDhomerun and Ceton? In the US cable companies do allow to use these instead of their STB. It would be great if these were allowed in India but i haven't heard that yet.

Nopes, they don't allow that yet here. Planning to see if I can try with the Airtel digital TV, basically casting the video over IP

Imo, cost ratio does not work well here well seeing options given in thread.

According to me, the op could buy a new stb + dish in cost of 1 rpi or 2-3 stb's in cost of one hauppauge hd tuner card.
best option would be to get additional pricing plans from dth company. I think dishtv / tatasky charge like 150-200 rupees per additional stb per month. I remember when I had tatasky, they mentioned that the 2nd stb would get the same subscribed channels that the main stb had.

getting additional stb has advantages.
He can change channels independently from main stb. no need to buy all this expensive stuff.

You are right if you just want a dumb tv in each room there is no cost advantage. However, if you want to share other media like videos/music/photos then using something like a MythTV server makes sense. Further, it also means that you make your system as a DVR and have control of recordings instead of using the expensive STB of the video provider.

He already has an android box on which he can use kodi or libreelec for video / photo/ music viewing purpose,. myth tv can connect to android box easily since its a dlna server i think. he doesn't even need myth tv since he can connect the android box directly to a shared drive or use a portable drive and watch media off it.

The more i think about the recording tv series option, the more dumb it seems. I mean there is hotstar, sony liv and other apps available on play store to view old tv series for a yearly fee. the yearly fees are around 499-1.5k i think. he can install apps on his android box and stream the tv shows if he has a good connection. not many advertisements in them too compared to the 15 minutes advertisements you get when watching live tv.

Reading the first post again, I'm not sure if op has a local cable box or an stb. He hasn't mentioned anywhere he wants a media server, so i suggested an extra unit.

Have installed the Mirror app from CWM, lets see if its working tomorrow. Had some wifi issues, and will setup the new repeater tomorrow.

Back