Camera [DIY] Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 50mm F2 - disassembly, lens clean, aperture clean

booo

BA BA BA BABANANA
Skilled
Been doing some DIY lately since I got quite a few lenses which are very old and some of them have fungus. This particular lens was aquired from ebay and the owner mentioned that the lens is in prestine condition. but when I started learning and inspecting the lens, it had 3 problems.
1. sand in the barrel and which went into the focus helicoid groves. so focus was getting stuck some times.
2. There were some internal dust specs which is okay for an old lens. but, the inside of the rear element had fungus lines which would be visible only under keen observation.
3. The aperture blades were getting stuck as there was oil on them. so aperture was not working.

I started opening the lens. learnt new stuff, bought some new tools whenevern I got stuck. etc... Today I managed to assemble the lens elements and aperture properly. required some hospital grade cleaning of the lens elements and I had to get creative with the tools that I had to get them cleaned to satisfactory levels.

I missed out on recording the disassembly part. but today I managed to record some good footage of cleaning and assembly.

below are the screen shots. let me know if you like to watch the video.

Finally, its a lot of fun :)

CZJ1.jpg
CZJ2.jpg
CZJ3.jpg
CZJ4.jpg
CZJ5.jpg
CZJ6.jpg
CZJ7.jpg

Back