DIY Tools

chiro3110

Disciple
Well, this may be almost on the edge of technology, but I did want to share one of my more 'mechanical' projects that I worked on during the lockdown. I'm pretty sure folks who are into DIY stuff will like something like this.
I'm a big fan of pegboard mounted tools rack as seen in many western countries. I tried my hand with something more basic, like a wood board that act as a shadow board for mounting tools.

IMG_9434 1.jpeg

It also houses my major power tools:

1. Drill (Bosch GSB 500RE)
2. Angle Grinder (Bosch GWS600)
3. Jigsaw (Black & Decker KS900EX)
4. Rotary Tool (Dremel 4000)

Here is the time lapse of building this tools station.

Brilliant. Always wanted a proper workbench but keep making do...

If that's a 60 or 100-watt bulb i would change it to a 36w tubelight with a diffuser though.

Brilliant. Always wanted a proper workbench but keep making do...

If that's a 60 or 100-watt bulb i would change it to a 36w tubelight with a diffuser though.

Thanks @Julian. Yea, it is a 60 watt bulb actually. I like the yellow light over CFL’s white ones it gives a ‘garrage-like’ feel; lol. But yes, also why it’s not a tubelight is because that bulb holder is height adjustable. I can place it that high or bring down almost to the height of the table. The mechanism was also DIY. I only kept some stray wire near the switch board and held the position with a plastic cable gland. To change the height I unscrew the gland nut a little, slide the wire up or down, and tighten back up..

I feel you. I use a warm/yellowish 5w bulb and LED in my bedrooms when chilling and LED battens for any work. But nothing really beats the clean light of a CFL tube for hardware work IMO.

If you're using a bulb though, especially lowered, you need to cage it. One stray hit with a tool or material would shatter it.

Some crazy awesome designs in search.

If you're using a bulb though, especially lowered, you need to cage it. One stray hit with a tool or material would shatter it.
Some crazy awesome designs in search.

Thanks for the warning... I never thought on this. I never fail to use safety eye glasses while working on grinder or dremel rotary tool.
But this precaution is noteworthy and I will try to work on this.

Awesome! What do you use this setup for?

Thank you! Actually nothing in specific, I use it for any DIY project that I make. Like last time I was working on a smart curtain system, so I preferred to do the wood work and electronic/electrical work at the work table since all tools are conveniently placed in the same area. Plus, the vice and clamps allow easy working on the smaller components.

A fellow man of culture. Simply Awesome!
Which precision screwdriver set do you have ? I believe its a very popular brand, but I could only find sub-par dups in the local market. Eventually I got something that looked like this: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B084JKHV96/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QhIoFbZTMVYX8 .

and if I may ask what things are you working on or have in the todo list ? My last project was a small tensigrity structure.
I have a set from Toptul with individual screwdrivers instead. But ultimate aim is to get proper german brands like Knipex, Wera etc. Have bought a few pliers of Knipex through their Indian importer based in Chawri Bazar, Delhi. Chawri Bazar and surrounding areas are a mecca for tool enthusiasts. Have bought so much stuff from there at unbeatable prices.
JPEG_20200817_140923_139212680870811878.jpg

Thank you! Actually nothing in specific, I use it for any DIY project that I make. Like last time I was working on a smart curtain system, so I preferred to do the wood work and electronic/electrical work at the work table since all tools are conveniently placed in the same area. Plus, the vice and clamps allow easy working on the smaller components.
I thought this was more of a storage bench. The sheet metal on the table top and the legs feel very flimsy for any kind of pounding or heavy work.

I have a set from Toptul with individual screwdrivers instead. But ultimate aim is to get proper german brands like Knipex, Wera etc. Have bought a few pliers of Knipex through their Indian importer based in Chawri Bazar, Delhi. Chawri Bazar and surrounding areas are a mecca for tool enthusiasts. Have bought so much stuff from there at unbeatable prices. View attachment 88775
Chawri Market is the ultimate One shop for tools. Any clue if they're open currently? Must be I guess. There is barely any social distancing here lol.
Actually I don't need a long scale but a scale to use a spirit level on. I found a 100 cms level (Black and Decker) but it's not deliverable to Gurgaon. Might get the 24" feet size. The 12" is almost useless.
This one :

I might go for the 24".

Last edited:
A fellow man of culture. Simply Awesome!
Which precision screwdriver set do you have ? I believe its a very popular brand, but I could only find sub-par dups in the local market. Eventually I got something that looked like this: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B084JKHV96/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QhIoFbZTMVYX8 .
and if I may ask what things are you working on or have in the todo list ? My last project was a small tensigrity structure.
Thank you! Umm.. I really don't have a precision screw driver set. Just use some local ones that come in a yellow box (Jackly), TBH they are not good, the grip keeps on slipping, the magnet not good enough keeps dropping stuff :p .
The one you posted for Amazon looks pretty neat.
Regarding work the last ones were:
1. Smart Curtain (If you check out the video, you can see a lot of footage of working on this)
2. For Janmashtami, my mom asked to repair a small swing for a Krishna idol (small task he he)
3. I was building a PC with some spare peripherals, to let go, so I wanted to make some mods on the case. My intention was to hide all possible cabling and make placeholder for the motherboard LED structure. So some cuts and drills on this.
Capture.JPG

Upcoming..
Actually nothing on the pipeline. I got a 3D printer recently so have been a bit busy with it. I actually like working more on wood over metal so may be something on it..

Nice stuff. What model is that jigsaw?
Thank you! It's a Black and Decker model KS900EX. Quite the basic one in their line up.
At ~3k, It does have beveling, orbital movement but lacks blade rotation. It came in it's own plastic case and quite a few blades.

I thought this was more of a storage bench. The sheet metal on the table top and the legs feel very flimsy for any kind of pounding or heavy work.
It's not a sheet metal, it's wooden.. And I didn't have any intention or tools to do heavy duty work.

Cool collection man! I'm sure you family wont be requiring any external plumber or electricians...
I have just 25% of these.. few hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, mobile screwdriver set, wrench/spanners, variety of household screws, nails, nuts, magnets & few tools which I cannot name.
I do keep stock of spare buttons, 3 pin sockets, fan capacitors, 4-5 meters of electrical wires etc. Just for those in case household needs.
Yet to buy a drilling machine though.

Cool collection man! I do keep stock of spare buttons, 3 pin sockets, fan capacitors, 4-5 meters of electrical wires etc. Just for those in case household needs.

Thank you! Ya me to, In the picture, the left rack, the yellow box houses spare electronic parts (cartridge fuse, power adapter, resistor, battery etc.). Then the wooden box "Antec" keeps electrical spares viz switches, plugs, wires, sockets etc.
On the right, the transparent case houses the different nut, bolts, screws, dowels and nails.

It's not a sheet metal, it's wooden.. And I didn't have any intention or tools to do heavy duty work.

Oh sorry, my bad. I have a substantial collection of tools as well and was very interested in setting up a woodworking workshop but that plan is on the backburner for now. Currently my tools are lying all around the house though most are in their boxes and some in drawers. Had been wanting to buy some foam and make cutouts for specific tools so they sit in their place inside the drawers.

Back