Do other ISP's provide unlimited peering (Youtube etc)?

r19

Disciple
Was using Excitel, and pretty impressed by the peering. Though normal speed is limited to 10mbps, YT speed is 30mbps even in videos with very less views / less popular channels. Sometimes I have to refresh the page, but that problem may be with browser/YT as I was getting this problem in RCOM too. I think peering works by directly connecting to a mirror YT datacenter in India? 4k plays back perfectly though Dailymotion and Vimeo etc are limited to 1080p.

I was wondering if other ISPs provide such peering, especially ISPs like ACT after their FUP is over. Seems ACT would have to improve their post FUP speed and peering if Excitel expands and improves its stability.

Are you using this? If yes then how are the upload speeds?I have some SITI posters near my home, but it's weird that they're not advertising it. In a big way. Maybe it's temporary. It seems installation is free, but you need to get a modem?
-No, but my friend is and it is ****ing awesome
-Upload speed is bad. Only 2mbps
-I'll ask him about these initial charges tomorrow

Very quick review:
Downtimes occur but very low; Promised speeds delivered; Smooth 4k playback (on youtube and other sites); He has already downloaded over 500gb
But it has been just 3 weeks and consistency is really important so we'll have to see how it goes

Most of the smaller ISPs give the peering, not the big ones - Tata, Airtel, MTNL, BSNL and Sify. I cant think of other big ones. Hathway I heard does.

Many small ISP's provide unlimited peering with Youtube etc. I am using In2cable and the bandwidth from Youtube, local torrents etc is not even counted in the FUP calculation.

Yeah I think the key phrase here is "give the peering" meaning most large ISPs surely do peering but don't pass on the benefit to customers whether it's the speed or data.

Amen to that. But then, they dont need to pass on the benefits, as they would need to upgrade their own infra. I would love to see the ones on FTTH at least give peering.

Now a days every ISP peers with Google. They pay for the line (domestic bandwidth) and Google allows free peering. Technically Peering is not FREE for ISP's.
@vivek.krishnan Any idea how few ISP's are able to provide 100mbps speeds to netflix. Netflix video cannot be cached afaik and their data isn't hosted on Indian servers?

Now a days every ISP peers with Google. They pay for the line (domestic bandwidth) and Google allows free peering. Technically Peering is not FREE for ISP's.
@vivek.krishnan Any idea how few ISP's are able to provide 100mbps speeds to netflix. Netflix video cannot be cached afaik and their data isn't hosted on Indian servers?

Peering is not free - that is a yes. However, it is much cheaper than allowing the same traffic to run multiple times.

Netflix has a peering thing too. Someone had asked me about it. However, requirements were pretty heavy.[DOUBLEPOST=1468773137][/DOUBLEPOST]https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/requirements-for-deploying/

https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/peering-locations/

One may have a Netflix CDN here in India and might be sharing with those ISPs. Else, someone is doing a MITM caching,

Last edited:
Yeah I think the key phrase here is "give the peering" meaning most large ISPs surely do peering but don't pass on the benefit to customers whether it's the speed or data.
You could argue that if large ISPs start giving 'free' Youtube it may be anti-competitive(is that the right word?) for other streaming services. Might be an issue if you're that large but certainly all companies aren't passing on peering for that reason.

Yeah seems like lot of "new users" signing up on TE and talking about Excitel these days - must be these "work from home" folks doing their stuff :D
Sorry, I meant to say that Excitel is the only one advertising their peering. Coming to Excitel is great from services like MTNL, although it does have its issues as you can see from the Excitel thread. And I think Excitel is pretty big in area, though they are in partnership with LCO.

@hitesh12
I received SITI pamphlets last year (with immediate installation) but now when I call Customer Care they are saying no service in my area. Don't know how that works. I don't have the pamphlets now and E-Mailing them doesn't get any response.

You could argue that if large ISPs start giving 'free' Youtube it may be anti-competitive(is that the right word?) for other streaming services. Might be an issue if you're that large but certainly all companies aren't passing on peering for that reason.

Sorry, I meant to say that Excitel is the only one advertising their peering. Coming to Excitel is great from services like MTNL, although it does have its issues as you can see from the Excitel thread. And I think Excitel is pretty big in area, though they are in partnership with LCO.

@hitesh12
I received SITI pamphlets last year (with immediate installation) but now when I call Customer Care they are saying no service in my area. Don't know how that works. I don't have the pamphlets now and E-Mailing them doesn't get any response.

Agreed, if Google is footing the bill for high speed Youtube access, then it becomes a net neutrality issue since it becomes similar to zero rating plan. Not an anti competitive one, since its for the people.

But, the ISP has to pay for the peering line and there is a cost. This is passed on to the customer. Similar to those plans from 5net - with and without access to Popeye.

According to a guy in a ISP NOC, No ISP is peering with netflix directly. They're caching Netflix data. So that way few people are getting 20-40mbps speeds on netflix

Agreed, if Google is footing the bill for high speed Youtube access, then it becomes a net neutrality issue since it becomes similar to zero rating plan. Not an anti competitive one, since its for the people.

But, the ISP has to pay for the peering line and there is a cost. This is passed on to the customer. Similar to those plans from 5net - with and without access to Popeye.

Thanks, I didn't know that part of Net Neutrality.

Though if ISPs do start providing unlimited Google, other video streaming services would have to deploy servers AND force ISPs to connect to them to stay competitive.

I think it only becomes a net neutrality issue if the traffic is given preferential treatment when it's transfered to the customer. On the ISP side peering is common and as long as the data is treated as same(not prioritised over non-peered traffic) between ISP and customer and charged at the same rate net-neutrality doesn't come into the picture.

Customer <=========[this data needs to be treated same]=========> ISP <=========[here ISP can have different arrangements]=========> Google/Internet/other networks

The internet itself is a big network of peering arrangements between ISPs, web hosts etc.

EDIT: actually thiniking again about this Excitel clearly advertise double speed for peered traffic in their pamphlets etc.. hmm.

Last edited:
Back