Do we get old fridge gasket in market?

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
My LG fridge freezer gasket is breaking apart due to old age. I tried the paper trick and paper comes out easily.

I was searching on Amazon but couldn't find anything. In other countries, looks like fridge gasket is easily available by part number. Here companies being shit about quality and standards, there's no part number or any identifying information in the fridge booklet.

So I'm wondering if I can get replacement parts or have to stop using the fridge completely now. I've already shut the fridge off two days back. No use running a fridge that leaks cold air.

LG India site is shit. Completely useless for spares and support. Same sell and forget story. This is one reason India will never become a developed country. All companies treat their customers badly.

Last edited:

seshu

Adept
Jan 18, 2006
teluguthesis.com
obviously try to contact the customer care / service center or try to explore locally
however we seldom get original spares ! also there will be no warranty of the quality ...

btw, can you give the model number & capacity of the fridge - someone might be able to help

[Google search results]

Last edited:

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
Model no GL-T262GP 260 litre double door refrigerator. It's magnetic gasket. When I was measuring the size the tape was sticking to it.
I measured wrong too. We need to measure the gap the gasket is put into by removing the gasket completely.

Apparently it's custom made to fit fridge dimensions. Seems costly to order from China or other countries.

I put a led torch inside and saw too much light bleed near the edge. I put some foam tape inside the gasket to make it fatter and close the air gap. Had to check 4-5 times to see no light from torch is visible outside.

Last edited:

adder

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
Unless the model is present in EU or US or AU, you wont find any parts catalog or service manual.
But LG service center should have them, unless the model in question is more then 10 years old since its discontinuation, even still there should be stock some where in India which only LG india will know.

Its high time we have laws like EU and US where the parts catalog or service manuals should be available for the public.

In the meantime what you have done should do the job. If its still leaking air and if you don't plan to use the freezer, you can use a silicone gasket maker to either seal the door, or try putting it on the cracked gasket areas and see if you can get creative. It needs humidity for silicone to dry. Also use GLOVES, that thing if it falls on the finger, will take days to take it off.

I used silicone in my front load washing machine repair, for the rubber seal in between the two halves of the plastic tub, not to be confused with the door gasket.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6pack and seshu